Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my partner is really into his pond fish, so for Christmas I bought him a 10 gallon (55 Litre) tank with a built in filter and light. Then took him to the pet shop to pick a goldfish. And I picked a one for myself.
I picked a normal goldfish and he picked a Sarsha Commet. Now I know that they're going to grow quite big, so my plan is to build a RAISED pond outside. Now it can be quite tall, I'd prefer it tall as we own rabbits and have nephews who visit. And with a sturdy net over the top.
So can I have advice on building a raised pond? After the pond is made I am hoping to let him go pick two shubunkins (I was told they grow smaller but look like koi) to go with our goldfish. So can I have info on what size pond (not by litres/gallons but by height, width, length please like I said I'd like it rather high maybe 3ft?) What pond plants can we put in, and how to power the filter etc.

So that leaves us with a 10 gallon fish tank, I was debating getting him some tropical fish, but I'm rather keen on marine fish as well. So how many what size, possibly suggest some types of fish that would be fine in there.

Thank you

·
Registered
187 Posts
hi, sorry no help with ponds, ive never had one.
but the little tank has many possibilities. could be a bit on the small side for marine because of the amount of other equipment you'll need to add to it to make it suitable, however it probably could be used as a small reef tank with live rock, some small corals and inverts (shrimps,small crabs and small starfish) could also possible add small blenny (scooter blennies usually stay small) or mandarin or gobies or small seahorse. you would need the right equiptment to set something like this up though.
you could make it brackish and have bumblebee gobies and small puffers. or tropical with a pair of dwarf cichlids, or a couple of shoals of tetra or a small lake malawi rocky set up or.........the list goes on. there is literally a fish for every niche in most aquatic environments, you just need to pick the one that works for you, just dont make the mistake of overstocking. have fun deciding.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i wouldn't recomend building the pond that high as it will cost a lot building up the side due to the weight of the water. my father in law has done his pond so its 2 foot deep. his is about 15x10x2ft it works really well. he has two large filters on there on a water fall. well he powers the filter with 2 large pumps think there about 10000lph each. he has 4 dachshunds and plus mine dachshund never go on the pond plus i built him a wooden frame with strong mesh across that is very safe.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You ideally want a pond to be at least 2 and a half feet in depth, at least in one area, to avoid any freezing issues over winter. If you want it raised, you are going to have to seriously consider the weight bearing issues, but a double layer of bricks normally does the trick. Remeber to ensure the bricks are as even and smooth as possible, to ensure the weight of the water is evenly spread, as this will aid the pressure load a treat. I would suggest recessing at least a foot of the water depth into the ground. A Sarasa comet will quite happily reach the 12-14 inch mark, and require a fair amount of room to swim in, so I wouldn't think about anything smaller than 5 feet in length. Obviously a pond this size will have room for several other fish too.

Don't place the pond in direct sunlight- the pond should have a maximum exposure time of 3 hours to direct sunlight. And ensure that the pond is not shaded by trees, although with a net you do not have to worrry so much.

Tank-wise, 10 gallons is a little small, but it would suit a variety of tropical species. Just ensure the filtration system is good. Most of the small tank sets available on the market have almost completely useless filters, and I would always recommend an upgrade.

·
Registered
256 Posts
to build it that height to could easily do it with breeze block size concrete blocks

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about an indoor tank? I've heard that keeping them in small tanks can cause them to die. I wasn't aware of this when I bought the tank as I thought that Goldfish grew to their surroundings and were fine with it.
I would want to put them in a pond in the future, but I think it might be best it be made professionally. I know on yahoo someone actually suggested a deep round water trough. If I do decide on taking them outside would this be a good idea?
It's the filtration I don't understand. Do they need a filter on 24/7 ?

And seahorses!!!:flrt:
Before we bought the goldfish I had talked with the shop owner about them he did say he could order them in especially for me, now you've got my tempted.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Flitration systems need to be on 24 hours a day.

You can keep a large fish in a small tank, but you will end up shortening its life dramatically, and they often end up deformed. Plus although physical size stops, the prgans continue to grow, and you end up with a whole host of health problems.

A sarasa could spend its life in a 4 foot indoor tank, but really they are pond fish.

And Marine of any description, least of all Seahorses, is a huge step up. I would advise a budget of £1000 at the very least for a proper set-up, and I would also suggest you spend at least £100 on proper Marine books to research from before attempting it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Build a semi raised pond using railway sleepers (use eco ones, not the old type which are soaked in creosote/tar type preservative). You could dig down to around 12/18 inches & go as high as 30 inches if you put them on their sides. Then lay your liner inside.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:S Sorry strictly scales I was sure I replied. :blush:
I'm young so I have plenty time to research seahorses in the meantime I have a fish enthusiast of a friend helping me go through my options of small tropical fish :2thumb:

And thank you very much johne, I'll research into what you said and see where I can get the material from. Would you be kind enough to let me know the length and width the pond should be for two goldfish please? Or should I keep more than two goldfish in a pond?

Thank you : victory:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think building a pond for two goldfish might a be excessive but you can get a whole selection of coldwater fish that will happily live outside in a pond providing it is appropriately sized and looked after which i'm sure it would be. good luck with what ever tropical set up you go for and your pond venture.:2thumb:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talked with the fiance, and he says Railway Sleepers sound like a good idea, I'd have to get ones that were bunny safe :2thumb:
Then I can put a strong frame with wire over the top so that nothing can get in intentionally or by accident. But I'd have it with a hinge and clasp in case I need to get in.
Can anyone give me ideas for the filtration. I plan on making it as deep as suggested. But no idea how long and wide it will be any suggestions, I might buy him two shubinkin to go in. And what plants should we go for?
And what time of year can I put them outside?
Thank you,
Raych

1 - 11 of 11 Posts