Reptile Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
i went to ******* pet shop in witney, oxfordshire today and saw they had some beardies..
2 in one tank looking sorry for themselves, looks kinda humid in there and not spot bulb just normal round bulb (blue) and they had stained feet from the pink sand they were on too. same in other beardie tank in pic below.

the other beardie was on his own in a viv again with a round bulb (blue), pink sand and he was practically dead as you can see in the pic i took below!

when me and the OH confronted the owner and employee..they both seemed to pretend like they knew what they were talking about. sayin they were perfectly healthy and even the lil (half dead) one tried to attack him today so he's all good. i was like..attack u! they dnt attack unless VERY stressed or franly..peed off! i felt so sorry but the workers didnt wanna know and were quite rude to us when we said they dnt look very well at all.:censor::censor:

the shop i know has had people complain about them before but nothing has ever come of the complaints.

its distgusting so the OH and i called the RSPCA to investigate this for us.

the cheek of it when the young employee said "my mate has beardies and he said they're fine" .. ...i dread to think what his friends are like!:censor:

see the pic below!

the blue bulb they have, obviously raises the overall temp in the viv (90F) it was but where is the basking spot for it/them!?! oh and in the little viv with the small dying beardie they were using a compact uv bulb (didnt think these were any good?)

i was so annoyed and still am with them! not only all the above but they were clearly not cleaned out for like weeks as there was poo all over, we said this and again the lad said...."well they have been cleaned out but we've been busy this week sio cant do it all the time!" i was like your a pet shop thats what you do!!!!!! :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
You can also report them to the local authority Monday. As they issue the licences and any cause for concern will also inspect.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i went to ******* pet shop in witney, oxfordshire today and saw they had some beardies..
2 in one tank looking sorry for themselves, looks kinda humid in there and not spot bulb just normal round bulb (blue) and they had stained feet from the pink sand they were on too. same in other beardie tank in pic below.

the other beardie was on his own in a viv again with a round bulb (blue), pink sand and he was practically dead as you can see in the pic i took below!

when me and the OH confronted the owner and employee..they both seemed to pretend like they knew what they were talking about. sayin they were perfectly healthy and even the lil (half dead) one tried to attack him today so he's all good. i was like..attack u! they dnt attack unless VERY stressed or franly..peed off! i felt so sorry but the workers didnt wanna know and were quite rude to us when we said they dnt look very well at all.:censor::censor:

the shop i know has had people complain about them before but nothing has ever come of the complaints.

the cheek of it when the young employee said "my mate has beardies and he said they're fine" .. ...i dread to think what his friends are like!:censor:

see the pic below!

the blue bulb they have, obviously raises the overall temp in the viv (90F) it was but where is the basking spot for it/them!?! oh and in the little viv with the small dying beardie they were using a compact uv bulb (didnt think these were any good?)

i was so annoyed and still am with them! not only all the above but they were clearly not cleaned out for like weeks as there was poo all over, we said this and again the lad said...."well they have been cleaned out but we've been busy this week sio cant do it all the time!" i was like your a pet shop thats what you do!!!!!! :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor:
I would edit your ogiginal post and remove the shop name. I know how peed off you can be and you have every right to be however, its against RFUK rules to name and shame. Ive spoken to you before on the boards and will be a shame to have your account revoked. Just thought i would give you the heads up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
thats disgraceful. they deserve to be:whip:ed and :bash:ed.the viv is mankey! :sick: i suddenly feel sick

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are those black dots all over the place mites!?

·
Registered
290 Posts
thats pretty rough good on you for calling.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Go in dressed as a ninja and steal them!
Serious note though - I despise some shops they make me sick

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
To be honest Dan, The only thing I see in the picture that is really a genuine problem, is the apparently unresponsive and lethargic beardie.

I'd actually say I'm impressed to see not only a thermometer and hygrometer (albeit, rubbish dial ones) but a thermostat probe!!! How many shops have those?!?!?!
An ordinary blue lamp is not a crime. A higher temperature would indeed be better but this could actually be achieved with a higher wattage ordinary bulb, obviously a spot bulb would be ideal for this species, but as I've said, this isn't a life threatening problem.

Again, maybe stained feet from sand isn't the most attractive thing you've ever seen, but it will do the animal no harm whatsoever... a wild beardie would have a whole central desert's worth of grot on it's feet to contend with...

I don't think this was a pitchforks and "confrontation" situation at all. The fact there is a thermostat on the viv, thermometer and hygrometer tells you these people are actually good candidates for some friendly tips and pointers.
They were "rude" to you but what did you say to them when you "confronted" them? You can achieve so much more by approaching these things softly softly.

Lotte***

see the pic below!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they had no reason at all to be "rude" all we said was (politely) "hey guys, one of your beardies looks dead/lifeless and the others looked unwell.. in no way rudely or in a way to cause argument.

ok so the bulb and not the sand a problem but all the beardies they had were unhappy/unwell they had no water and the humidity seemed a lil too high.

as for the lil beardie...it really looked unwell...(urgent vetinary care required!!) as it tried to attack means it is seriously stressed im assuming!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as for the black dots, they were scratches from possible previous beardies as i didnt look close enough to notice if they were mites.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
as for people being good for information etc? this wouldnt be the first time they have been complained about...not only for reptiles but for kittens too and other animals they keep.

its been around for sometime i believe but ever since ive known about the shop, the owners/employees have been nothing but rude and arrogant! actually!! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh and saedcantas......the "apparantley" unresponsive, lethargive beardie was VERY much so UNRESPONSIVE!! might aswell have been dead it was so unwell looking!

·
Premium Member
6,104 Posts
oh and saedcantas......the "apparantley" unresponsive, lethargive beardie was VERY much so UNRESPONSIVE!! might aswell have been dead it was so unwell looking!
Dan, just chill :)

By "apparently" I meant, it would seem that way going on the only piece of evidence we have, a still photograph. Unresponsive and lethargic were just my interpretations of the picture, it means nothing.

I didn't question that the beardie is clearly not in a good condition, my point was that you had scant evidence or genuine reason to be slagging the shop off so angrily on a public website and naming them.
I've not so much got a problem with your complaining, as I do with the page worth of people who came along and for prettymuch no reason said;
"OMG they should lose their liscense", "I feel sick", "that viv is minging" (looks rather clean to me actually...), "These people disgust me!!!!".

All we have here is one worse for wear beardie in a picture, the rest of it is opinion and conjecture.

I've got no reason to defend the shop, I just think people need to get a bit of a grip.

·
Registered
397 Posts
as for people being good for information etc? this wouldnt be the first time they have been complained about...not only for reptiles but for kittens too and other animals they keep.

its been around for sometime i believe but ever since ive known about the shop, the owners/employees have been nothing but rude and arrogant! actually!! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Can i ask why you visit this shop you mention ? if its so bad i know one in my area with a reputation i dont drive and i use public transport to travel over 40 miles to another store i trust when my prefered shop in my home city is closed ...it does sound like you maybe handled it a bit harsh or you have something personal against the store

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saedcantas...thanks for your opinions and your judgement/comments. i see your view of things..maybe i did jump a lil. apologies :blush:

as for the visiting of the shop..i was visiting my mum and the shop is in her home town and just happens to be round the corner from a very good exotics shop (who has also heard about the shop) FROM OTHERS TOO!
friends had mentioned the state of some of the beardies in there so i went to see for myself which i dont believe was a bad call on my behalf! i get free fuel anyways so didnt cost me anything to drive round the corner from the other shop to have a peek. not a drama there :)

anyways thats that then. poor lil bugger ill have to forget. id love to rescue him if i had the space/equipment/money but hey.......... also id like to add i dont have a personal vendetta nor did i act or speak harshly/out of place to the people who worked in the shop..i only mentioned that maybe one of their beardies was dead or very unwell......as stated they had been too busy to notice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts