Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bitch Taz was spayed today and they gave me a collar to put on her if she licks her wounds, which she started as soon as we got in, so i put it on her and she keeps scratching trying to get it off and is getting all wound up, they said for her to rest for next 2 weeks which she aint gonna be doing if shes aggitated about the collar. Can anyone suggest anything, poor little sod i think id be pee'd off to if i had to walk round with a lampshade on my head :(

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi! Sorry to hear about your uncomfortable pooch! Well done on getting her spayed though (if only more dogowners took a leaf out of your book and were responsible enough to stop unwanted puppies). I know it's hard but the collar really is necessary to stop her causing her wounds to be infected. No dogs are happy about the collar to start with but she'll get used to it - she's just been through a big deal so give her lots of attention and love, make her as comfortable as you can and you'll both come out the other side just fine! Honest! :)
It's tough on you both (especially you as you're the one left feeling guilty) but you've done a good thing - just keep telling yourself that! :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you, as soon as we came home thekids went and sorted some clothes out they didnt want so she didnt have to lay on floor and have made her a nice soft bed in the puppy crate :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
as above really (you are doing the right thing :D ) thought i would just add > when my male had to wear one of these collars (i hated putting it on too :cry: ) i trimmed it down a bit as when he ran up stairs it would catch on the steps, and when i trimmed it down he could see more as it wasnt blocking as much of his vision. just make sure you dont cut too much off so she can lick the stitches. hth :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
that comment about well done for getting the dog spayed instead of having unwanted puppies

tell me something if dogs dont breed and have puppies we wouldnt have any dogs left on the planet it would end up like dinosaurs extinct.
people like you really annoy me dont like dogs breeding and praises and encourages everyone to get there pets spayed,.

a dogs not like a cat they dont just go out and mate then come back and you end up with a litter, you dont just let your dog wonder of then come back and find out its pregnant

whats the harm in dogs not getting spayed ect why dont people just leave animals alone and let there bodys carry on naturally.

·
Registered
416 Posts
afragglenamedred said:
Hi! Sorry to hear about your uncomfortable pooch! Well done on getting her spayed though (if only more dogowners took a leaf out of your book and were responsible enough to stop unwanted puppies). I know it's hard but the collar really is necessary to stop her causing her wounds to be infected. No dogs are happy about the collar to start with but she'll get used to it - she's just been through a big deal so give her lots of attention and love, make her as comfortable as you can and you'll both come out the other side just fine! Honest! :)
It's tough on you both (especially you as you're the one left feeling guilty) but you've done a good thing - just keep telling yourself that! :2thumb:
this is the idiot
THE DOG WHISPERER

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
emilou said:
that comment about well done for getting the dog spayed instead of having unwanted puppies

tell me something if dogs dont breed and have puppies we wouldnt have any dogs left on the planet it would end up like dinosaurs extinct.
people like you really annoy me dont like dogs breeding and praises and encourages everyone to get there pets spayed,.

a dogs not like a cat they dont just go out and mate then come back and you end up with a litter, you dont just let your dog wonder of then come back and find out its pregnant

whats the harm in dogs not getting spayed ect why dont people just leave animals alone and let there bodys carry on naturally.
sometimes bitches on heat will do anything to escape the house. so yes they do sometimes come home and delivery a unwanted litter a few months later.

·
Registered
416 Posts
i have 4 bitches at home and thats never happend

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
emilou said:

whats the harm in dogs not getting spayed ect why dont people just leave animals alone and let there bodys carry on naturally
well yeah we could but having them spayed at least takes away from the risk of some cancer andother diseases :D

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think this person is some kinda troll, every other post i have read by this person has been an argument(or at least a starter)
but dont take the whole thread off topic, i still would like ways to make yher feel more comfortable

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
murinus said:
as above really (you are doing the right thing :D ) thought i would just add > when my male had to wear one of these collars (i hated putting it on too :cry: ) i trimmed it down a bit as when he ran up stairs it would catch on the steps, and when i trimmed it down he could see more as it wasnt blocking as much of his vision. just make sure you dont cut too much off so she can lick the stitches. hth :D
i did that wi my jr. only i cut too much off and by next morning every stitch was out,when i rang the vet he just said to warch and if the wound was holding to leave it. amazingly it did, after one night. but no....dinny cut it too short.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
emilou said:

and if they did not get spayed there would be so much more unwanted dogs and puppies. and the rescues are full enough. i would spay them all except breeding ones actually. what does that make me.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
emilou said:
i have 4 bitches at home and thats never happend
you have just been soooo bloody lucky then. my bitch was spayed as soon as my vet would do it. and she is a much happier dog. why do you not comment on things you know about. like shite.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
tombraider said:
emilou said:

sometimes bitches on heat will do anything to escape the house. so yes they do sometimes come home and delivery a unwanted litter a few months later.
It's not so much the bitches when they are in heat, its the dogs, who will travell literally miles. Your girl can be 'safe' in the garden, and a dog will jump the fence.

IN ANSWER TO YOUR STUPID QUESTION

My springer spaniel was used for breeding once. she was never speyed. At 14, a dog got in the garden one day (a deformed little mongrel), humped her. I had to take her to have injections to stop her carrying pups. she had a stroke 2 days later, then another the day after that, and died in her bed, unable to move.

IF YOU DONT WANT PUPPIES, OR EVEN DEATH IN LATER LIFE, GET YOUR DOG SPEYED!!

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
well said skimpy. and it does practically eliminate womb and breast cancer in dogs. and all other sorts of things. stitch is first bitch iv had, the mess was terrible. my vet likes them to have one season before he spays them. but even my dog dogs are done.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I think this emilou is extremely stupid, it irates me! I loved that dog so damned much, and I never thought she would have that outcome. All because some people dont think they need to spey their dogs, and leave them lurking around to to make more pups.

Anyways, not sure what to say about the collar. My collie dog was upset at wearing his when he got the snip, but we turned it into a game. Throw a treat in, and let him figure out how to get it. it's not cruel. the dog knows it looks stupid, and will soon figure out that there are advantages to having a lampshade on its head! I used to take my fella's off for short periods while under supervision, coz licking it will do no harm, its when thy start to unpick the stitches...and my boy did pull out his stitches, and the vet said it was fine, no damage done.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
im not sure if im right or not, but is she not supposed to be a policewoman!!!!!!!!! christ help us if thats the state of the police force. well nicos stitches were out morning after he got done. i thought i would shorten the coller so he could drink easier!doh! but he was fine tpp. my bitch never looked at hers. so she did not need the coller.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
lynne said:
im not sure if im right or not, but is she not supposed to be a policewoman!!!!!!!!! christ help us if thats the state of the police force. well nicos stitches were out morning after he got done. i thought i would shorten the coller so he could drink easier!doh! but he was fine tpp. my bitch never looked at hers. so she did not need the coller.
If she is a rozzer, then we be fooked! Glad everything going well with your beasties!

OT, my uncle is a policeman, just got his first working dog..huge alsatian (SP). they are both going away to be trained as a search and rescue team...not the norm for police dogs, but he well looking forward to it.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
lovely dogs them. well trained too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts