Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im soo unhappy to see that the majority of dogs needed rehomeing and being in rescues are staffies. they are such lush dogs. i wish i could have another one from a rescue but we just have too many animals and already 3 dogs. i got my staffie may from rspca in bath and im soooo chuffed we have the priviledge to have her.

heres my fav picture of her

Silly may shes so lush and daft

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i no its sad i wish i could take in a rescue but they wont rehome to me beacause i have a child under 5 which i think is a shame

yea thats mad, my staffie is amazing with kids she loves them and im sure others would be great with kids too! obiviously u get the odd one that wont like kids but thats the same for most breeds really.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I absolutley adore staffies and it is a huge problem right now, with dogs in general but especially them and staffie crosses. Theres too many dogs and not enough homes, or the right homes for the dogs availible. Good rescues are very careful about homing their dogs especially if they are not easy ones as they are looking for forever homes and can't put children especially, at risk. Not all rescues will refuse you because you have a 5 year old it can just take a little longer to find the right dog for you. Its a shame that staffies have such an undeserved bad reputation now, it makes me feel sad everyday

·
Registered
76 Posts
we got out Bonnie or gabby as she was known from rescue, she was found as a stray just after xmas 2 years ago, she is sooooo friendly, always wagging her tail, so we called her bonnie, if another dog comes to her she runs of, she`s a coward, i did not go into the home to get a staffie, just wanted a bitch to get on with my other dogs, and bonnie fitted in fab, bonnie is so soft, i did not care what breed she is as long as she fits in, and we came out with our staffie, bonnie is a big bitch and we think she was used for breeding, we have since got her spayed, if only people could see past the breed, bonnie is fab of lead, etc, very loyal. and loving,

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
They are lovely and loving dogs, however they can be a bit of a pain with other dogs at times...:whistling2: I love my boxer staffie cross to bits, but he is such a pain with other dogs at times, so much so that if I want to let him off leash when we are on walks, I have put a muzzle on... which is a real shame in a lot of respects. (this also saves the lives of any ball's which may happen to be taking a roll on the park at the same time... cos he loves to 'kill' them)!!:lol2:

Also, at home, he gets on with my rottie just fine most of the time, but he can become such a nuisance to her at times, plaguing her so much, that this can occassionally instigate a fight if we do not notice what is happening.... and he will not come out until I get hold of him and wrestle him away from the rottie... She's easily controllable and will 'out' on command, but he will just not listen and continues to wade in after her again... no matter how much of a battering she is giving him..... still not worked out if he is brave, or just very stupid!! :bash:.... ah well... ya have to just love 'em anyway!!:flrt: :flrt:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
im soo unhappy to see that the majority of dogs needed rehomeing and being in rescues are staffies. they are such lush dogs. i wish i could have another one from a rescue but we just have too many animals and already 3 dogs. i got my staffie may from rspca in bath and im soooo chuffed we have the priviledge to have her.

heres my fav picture of her

Silly may shes so lush and daft

its all teh stupid idiots mostly young chavs who breed them, for money and status, most have been badly bred so have many health issues. its apauling 85% need to be PTS as too many of them or all should be castrated/spayed by law! i think should have to have a licence to breed any animal anywho!!! wouldnt have so many in recue centres and as many being dumped as, not as many would be bred!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its all teh stupid idiots mostly young chavs who breed them, for money and status, most have been badly bred so have many health issues. its apauling 85% need to be PTS as too many of them or all should be castrated/spayed by law! i think should have to have a licence to breed any animal anywho!!! wouldnt have so many in recue centres and as many being dumped as, not as many would be bred!

thats such a good idea, and your right it would stop as many rescues etc

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
I personally think alot more should be done by breeders, I think they should have to be licenced and all puppies should be microchipped, I also think everyone buying a puppy has to fill in a form stating full address etc and have to show Id, this form should be entered onto a database along with puppies/dogs microchip details....The reason I say this is then it would hopefully make people think alot more before buying a dog and also stop so many people dumping dogs as they should in theory be able to be traced.
I think you should not be allowed to buy a dog or be in charge of a dog under the age of 21, I find it shocking how many times I see children, often as young as 6 walking a dog...how could a young child control a situation such as another dog gets lose and attacks the dog they are walking ?? Do parents really not think of this ???
I also think this would then stop the young teens who walk around with dogs.
I also think a breeding ban needs to be put into place on staffies/staffie crosses.
I think first thing is the DDA needs to be sorted out, which is going to lords again on 21st of this month, if lords pass it this time it then goes infront of the goverment and I pray to god the dda gets changed and then people can then start to get the staffie problem sorted....because it does need sorting as I believe it is at crisis point.

With regards to rescue, please dont forget the council pounds...anyone can get a dog from their local pound, there is risks though. The history is often unknown and council pounds will not test dogs in the way that rescues do (although saying this I know a few rescues that dont test).
The dogs in a council pound will often have the 7 day rule(dogs are pts if no one comes forward for them or they are not rehomed), But if your in a situation that you could take a poundie on I would do it, as I think poundie dogs are even more over looked than rescue dogs and often have a rougher deal than rescues.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Someone on my Facebook friends list (we went to school together from the age of 4-16) staffy has just sired a litter. Her status said about them being up all night watching them being born and added they are available in 6 weeks!

I threw my dummy out all across her posting, but she was just like...Hey my dog is just sire, nothing I can do.

They are pretty blues, but watch this space another litter in the Hertfordshire pounds come 6-18 months.

I have to add though whilst staffies are a large issue many places working sheepdogs what people called Border collies before the border collie became a set standard with the kennel club (ie like the difference between Jack Russels= generic small rat dog and the Parsons Russell Terrier=a KC recognised breed) are the dogs needing the most help here in the West country and Wales far far too many of them for suitable homes.

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
I think something needs to be done with regards to dogs full stop, whilst the staffie issue is huge, like you have said alot of other breeds are suffering too, round here alot of collies/terriers are in the rescues.
Which is why I think breeders need to be policed more and it shouldnt be the case that anyone can buy a puppy/dog.
Sadly when people lose their jobs alot of people are finding themselves in the position of having to give up their dogs....But whilst this is happening people are still breeding !

Oh blue staffies, it does seem to be the thing that if your staff is a blue its fine to breed them because most of the ones in rescues are not blues......a Staff is a staff I wish people would stop adding to this problem and start to think of the hundreds that are being killed, maybe more people need to visit council pounds and see just how many are being pts.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone on my Facebook friends list (we went to school together from the age of 4-16) staffy has just sired a litter. Her status said about them being up all night watching them being born and added they are available in 6 weeks!

I threw my dummy out all across her posting, but she was just like...Hey my dog is just sire, nothing I can do.

They are pretty blues, but watch this space another litter in the Hertfordshire pounds come 6-18 months.

I have to add though whilst staffies are a large issue many places working sheepdogs what people called Border collies before the border collie became a set standard with the kennel club (ie like the difference between Jack Russels= generic small rat dog and the Parsons Russell Terrier=a KC recognised breed) are the dogs needing the most help here in the West country and Wales far far too many of them for suitable homes.

6 WEEKS!!!!! they should be with there mum for 8 weeks, stupid cow dont no nothing about dogs obviously.

is there anyway u can tell her to keep the puppies until they are 8 weeks??

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I have said,
"Hey my dog is just sire, nothing I can do." response was all I got.:bash:.

Sometimes I wonder how two people educated in the same way could find such different paths, before my mum died she and this womans mum were close friends, we have same sort of background and everything

I would love to see these people breeding spend a day with the dogs and that are being destroyed, if they still wish to breed after that then Surely you are suitably justified to shoot the person as they are obviously defective :bash:

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
I would love to see these people breeding spend a day with the dogs and that are being destroyed, if they still wish to breed after that then Surely you are suitably justified to shoot the person as they are obviously defective :bash:
Sad thing is most people would still go ahead and breed, there was thread on here where someone posted a picture of dead staffies and was torn to bits...yet the person who had gone ahead and breed her staffies didnt seem to care and thought it was discusting the person had posted such a picture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts