Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rat phoenix hes a sore come up on the back of his foot on his hind leg i suppose ud say where his ankle is/would be....ive tried bathing it in salt water...using cream from the pet shop....it looks like a lil red blister and it seemed to start when i changed his bed from shredded paper to that cotton woolie stuff....which has now been removed as when the sore was fresh and weeping a bit it kept getting stuck to it.i put him in bath with very shallow warrm salt water to have a paddle...usually he ok with baths but he jumped out of the bath tub .....does anyone have any ideas..it doesnt seem to be bothering him it jus looks a lil sore.some days it looks jus like a little scab and other days it looks a bit red...can any one suggest anything ???

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Ive not had a rat with a sore foot, touch wood. Is he kept on a wire floor cage or a full plastic base. theres a few breeders of rats on here. pimperella is one of them and her friend wyakinwolf i think shes called. theres a few more but ive forgot who. Maybe one of those can help you with this with them owning loads of rats :)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hes on a completely plastic base,whole cage is plastic apart from the top where door is thats wire.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sounds like he has got bumble foot,would get him to a vet and get some cream,if you leave it too long he may need antibiotics.This happened with one of mine,i thought another one had nipped him and tried giving him baths and things but it got really swollen and infected.He was also in an all plastic levelled cage with plenty bedding so thought it wasn't likely to have bumble foot ( how wrong).It's nothing serious but would get a vet to see him asap.Just to add it can sometimes be caused by unhygenic conditions-not saying yours are but if the levels aren't washed regulary then it can cause this.Hope this helps you :D

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine gets cleaned out totally once a week,and he only poops in one corner so i sot clean it everyother day,all his levels get cleaned once a week with very mild bleach solution,rinse thoroughly then dried out. only bit that gets damps is under his water bottle. it does look a lil swollen,i went to a pet shop n told em it looks like a blister and they gave me some cream with tea tree in it,but he gets so stressed when i try and put it on him

·
Registered
399 Posts
You obviously clean well:) so not got it that way.The scent of the tree tea may be over powering for him so be careful with it.I would give it a few more days and if you see it becoming more swollen then i would def take him to the vet.Try searching for bumble foot on the web i found a couple of great sites but can't remember what they were, sorry.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it doesnt seem to be getting anymore swollen just looks a bit red...have only managed to use the cream a few times cuz he flips out and its hard to hold him and see to put cream on at the same time....is there anything that would be safe to mix with the tea tree cream to sort of dilute it if u like....

·
Registered
399 Posts
I,m such a tube can't remember the sites that i looked at when mine had it.Try putting extra sawdust on the levels to keep it soft and more sawdust on the base as it helps the foot to heal.Will have a look to see if i can find those sites again for you.:)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks alot. it doesnt seem to be affecting him but hes scratched the back of his ear,because his foot look sore i dont want to risk clipping his nails incase it stresses him more. well if u could find the sites for me it would be gr8 thank u

·
Registered
399 Posts
Got this one Shunamite Rats Homepage it lists stuff you can try,there were a few but this is a good site,if you just type in "bumble foot in rats" they will all come up.Just keep an eye on him and hopefully it will come to nothing :)

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i hope so,i jus want it to clear up :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts