Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a boa constrictor. at the moment its skin is very pale, it looks asthough it has been covered in talcompowder. he seems 2 b eatin ok but isnt very active, hes just staying in the same corner.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Could he be in shed? Most boas will eat when theyre in shed but some still look a bit sorry for themselves. Their skin would also change colour.

How long have you had him for? Have you checked that his temperatures are all correct and his humidity is appropriate? Does he have hides or is he constantly on display - could he be stressed?

Sorry for all the questions but more information on how he's being kept will help us out.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
i am 99% sure its in shed. it can take a week for it to actually shed. leave it alone, just spray it with water a couple of times a day so that it can shed properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what should the humidty be and should i get a humdity theromoter? i have a heat lamp in the tank, which at the moment is on all thay and night? should it be on for only a certain amount of hours a day?
his skin has been like this for about 3 weeks now

·
*****istrator
11,351 Posts
Best thing you can do to get help here is list everyting about your setup, i.e temp, viv size, etc.

Also how big is the snake, what u r feeding, how often etc?

The more info you give, the easier it is for other people to work out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm not the most experienced guy on here but I do know you need at least one hydrometer (humidity thermometer as you call it). One at each end would be better. Same with thermometers.

As for your heat lamp... what do you mean by heat lamp??? Is it actually giving off visible light?? If so then it should not be on 24hrs a day or your snake will be getting very confused about what time and day it is.

If his colour has been like that for 3 weeks with no sign of and shed then I'd possibly take it to the vet or alternatively post a picture on here and somebody may be able to help further.

You need to ensure that your snakes environment is as comfortable as you can get it. This means humidity, temp gradient, ambient temp, hiding places, day / night changes (temp and light). A comfortable snake is a happy snake.

·
Registered
525 Posts
carl24bpool said:
I'm not the most experienced guy on here but I do know you need at least one hydrometer (humidity thermometer as you call it). .
Sorry to be picky but it's called a "hygrometer" a hydrometer measures altitude :lol:

·
*****istrator
11,351 Posts
0bytes said:
carl24bpool said:
I'm not the most experienced guy on here but I do know you need at least one hydrometer (humidity thermometer as you call it). .
Sorry to be picky but it's called a "hygrometer" a hydrometer measures altitude :lol:
Can i be picky too! A hydrometer is also the name of a salt level measurer for marine tanks. :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
bulldog74 said:
i have a boa constrictor. at the moment its skin is very pale, it looks asthough it has been covered in talcompowder. he seems 2 b eatin ok but isnt very active, hes just staying in the same corner.
:D

hey there. i also have a boa contrictor and she always stays in just the one corner of her tank but when she goes pale it usually means she is going to shed within the next week and a half..... *Tinkerbell*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts