Reptile Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY question is simply when do they become too old to be popped and need probing (as i understand it is unsafe to pop older snakes). Could you pop a 12 week old corn?

·
Registered
346 Posts
hi there i would say up to 3 to 4 months old you can pop a snake and then you need to prob but if you not popped a snake i would not suggest you do it till you been shown how to by experince person or got an experince person with you while you doing it as poping can still cause damage if done wrong

regards john

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
hi there i would say up to 3 to 4 months old you can pop a snake and then you need to prob but if you not popped a snake i would not suggest you do it till you been shown how to by experince person or got an experince person with you while you doing it as poping can still cause damage if done wrong

regards john
Same with probing! : victory:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't intend to, don't worry. Just out of curiosity what damage can occur and how is it fixed? Can the "bits" get stuck out or something?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I don't intend to, don't worry. Just out of curiosity what damage can occur and how is it fixed? Can the "bits" get stuck out or something?
Well you could break the snake's spine for starters.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
a snake never becomes to old to pop aslong as you no what your doin and its not any of the giants, but corns and royals can be popped safely even as adults,

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
Didn't think of that! But isn't the pressure but on the tail rather than the body?
if done properly yes, but holding a wriggly bitey hatchling by the tail trying to hold it still enough and get the body at the right angle to be able to pop it, can be pretty tricky.

I would pop upto 6 - 8 months old, but the older they are the trickier it can be, and also less reliable.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
id never do it but saw a video of bob clark popping adult royals pretty easily
just because someone else has done it doesnt mean its a great idea and it should be done. probing in my opinion is much safer on anything over 6 months. both poping and probing can cause problems. popping can cause prolapse i believe, internal bleeding, kinks and broken spines amongst others, and as for probbing, ive seen a little :censor: insist he knows what hes doing only to cause horrendous bleeding to a female as he was conviced she was a he and wudnt stop pushing :bash: either way you go both need to be shown by an exerienced competent keeper: victory:

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
if you saw a video of him stamping on a snakes head would it make it right?

no because thats obviouse to even people who have never seen a snake to be cruel, and when you see a respected and experienced snake keeper do something, the majority of people will think its probibly ok, and dont worry im not trying to pop my adult boas, ive got a set of probes for that, :lol2:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just because one person pops a yearling royal, doesn't make it okay. When a snake is young it able to retract his hemipenes easily, but as they get older the tendons toughen and the elasticity is gone, so the hemipenes might not be able to retract properly.

Gemma

·
Registered
574 Posts
Both methods can be used effectively, People often give examples of problems which can occur if total carelessness is put to practice.

Probing though is a safer method of sexing for beginners since much less pressure is needed to determine sex compared to popping, a higher level of pressure must be applied to the spine in order to stimulate a release of the tensed muscles holding in place the sex organs.

Bleeding and ruptured sex organs from probing is a result in being way too overzealous when inserting a probe, with light pressure pushing, it is almost impossible to cause damage, if you imagine poking yourself in the eye, it won't cause damage or cut until a certain amount of force is used. The same applied to probing, only if too much force is used when inserting, damage will occur.

This is why people often recommend being taught to probe first hand by someone with experience, since someone experienced knows the amount of force which is too much, and what is correct.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts