Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, this is kind of a weird request but here goes... i've had my royal for a while now and originally was told by the dealer that it was a she but i'm not so sure, could anyone put some pics up of a male and a female being 'popped' so i can hopefully identify whether mines a male or a female because i would like to get him/her a partner in the future so need to know what to get.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i would not recomend doing it yourself,,if you dont know what ya doing you can harm the snake.Also i think they have to be v young to have that done.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
you say you've hadher for quitea while, so i gues she/he is too old. this should only be done to snakes less than a month . there is also a risk whatever the age of the snake, because if done incorrectly they can stay ot, or internal damage is possible.

if she is older get her probed. most pet shops will do it, but phone ahead to see if they will to save having a wated journey.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Firstly when done properly there is NO mistaking a male:lol2:

Secondly this method only works on young snakes, those older animals with stronger muscle control are not usually easy to do.

Thirdly, while easy to do you need to be shown how.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
sorry:oops: . this is what i have been to, by my petshop,when i asked them to tell me the gender of my milk when i got her. the person said "i cant do it because i only know how to pop them and its over a month old" i presumed that this was correct.

out of interest, how big would the have to be then?, for a corn and for a royal

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
doa search, i put a video on here from kathy love on how to do it, its pretty good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes when i pick him/her up the vent opens and something comes out, i thought i could tell from popping pictures compared to when he/she does this?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
sorry:oops: . this is what i have been to, by my petshop,when i asked them to tell me the gender of my milk when i got her. the person said "i cant do it because i only know how to pop them and its over a month old" i presumed that this was correct.

out of interest, how big would the have to be then?, for a corn and for a royal
We live and learn, no dramas :)

I have no idea exactly how big to be honest, it's a case of trial and error.

I personally am useless at popping with any reliability. Best way is just to probe, IMO

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
It is an agressive procedure no matter when it's done so there will allways be a risk of causing damage.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
can not tell by scale count and tail shape too.:snake: :snake:i mean can you not tell!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Here you go...again lol.

Sexing* Corn* Snakes

And yes I know its cornsnakes...But someone mentioned it, so I thought Id post it :D

G

·
If in a corn snake then i would never pop anything over 18 inches in length and for royals i have seen them popped up to about 24 inches.After that size i would go for probing.In actual fact i try to probe whenever possible as this is the only way that you will truely know the sex of the snake.Popping can only be accurate if done properly.Even if you are very slightly wrong in positioning yor hands a male can appear to be female.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts