Reptile Forums banner

Possibility of Beardie eggs. Help with incbator etc please.

796 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  weeminx 
#1 ·
Hi All,
There is a possibility one of my females may be gravid.
As suggested in previous posts. I am going to try and make an incubator using a polybox, heat mat, mat stat, digital thermometer etc. I wanted to get it up and running in the next week so I can ensure temps etc are correct. What substrate would you recommend I use in the tubs? Also What temp /humidity is best?
Thanx
Tanya xx

#2 ·
It is a good idea to set up the incubator several days before the female is due to lay her eggs to ensure that all affecting aspects are satisfactory. The eggs must first be taken out of the egg-laying box, with care not to turn or move them out of their original position for risk of drowning the embryo or tearing the yolk stem, and should be transferred to a box filled with moist substrate such as vermiculite or Perlite. Indentations in the incubation substrate should be made to place the eggs in to, and the eggs should be checked on every few days to ensure fertility, to allow for fresh air-flow and to check for signs of dimpling or collapsing of the egg, which is indicative of too low humidity. Unless the eggs are due to hatch, in which case they will begin to collapse, dimpling of the egg is often resolved by increasing the humidity, which will usually save an egg from drying up. It is not uncommon, however, for a dragons first clutch to be completely infertile. Incubation temperatures can be set at 82-86 Fahrenheit and high humidity should be maintained between 70-90%. Temperatures that are too high will cook the eggs, while too low temperatures will prolong hatching. Incubation period can be anything from 42-84 days, or six to twelve weeks. After the initial hatching has occurred the rest of the eggs will usually follow within a few days. The hatchlings should be left in the incubator until they have absorbed the yolk and the sac has dropped, which can take up to 24 hours after completely emerging from the egg.

#3 ·
Thanx for getting back to me. What is the best way to maintain the humidity?
Tanya x

#5 ·
Thanx for that.
Im not expecting any eggs for at least 2 weeks (thats if she does lay) so hopefully I can get it all up and running at constant temp and humidity by then. As you mentioned im not really expecting them to be fertile but thought I would have a practice run!
Wish me luck
Tanya xx

#6 ·
GOOD LUCK!!! i think if u set up ur incubator now and get it up and running u will be able to work out how much water is needed etc to keep humidity up.its all trial and error but u are doing the right thing by settin it up now and learning.again good luck and let us know how it goes.
xx minx xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.