Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a leopard gecko shtct about 3 months back and she has been fine shes abit difficult to handle as she is a bit skiddish.

I Have just picked up another female from a RFUK user and she is lovely, nice temperament. but when i put them together my shtct got really territorial and started doing the S tail and walking high so i seperated.

I tried again on neutral ground and my shtct tried full on bitting her and i pulled them away.

Could my shtct be a Hot female?

Shtct is 43g 9 months old defenatly female
Blizzard is 41.3g about 12 months old (tbc) a little bigger but underweight defo female

·
Registered
543 Posts
hi i dont keep these reps but to start with you should of quarantined the new reptile, to prevent potential illness to your existing reptile!

secondly it may well be territorial as the original rep is used to being on her own!

once you have quarantined the new reptile then re introduce to the existing one slowly make sure they have plenty of hides etc to escape each other but it may come to the point that you need to separate them so your quarantine setup will serve purpose as a single setup for you new reptile.

you dont want to upset or stress out ur existing one so try not to force there cohabitation!

sorry about the rant!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Some females will just not tolerate other females at all i have had to separate my female groups this season because of mild bullying domination issues.
previously some of them had been together for up to 2 years without a problem.
they only tolerate each other at best and prefer to be housed separate to each other.
there are always exceptions to this and it is of course possible to keep females together just have to be aware that the problem can occur.
try doing a full clean out out of the Viv re arrange the furniture and add them in the Viv at the same time this way neither of them has claimed territory so there is more chance of them accepting each other.
if that fails they may well have to stay in solitary :(.

good point made above which i failed to notice that you hadn't mentioned quarantine
it is a good practise to follow you wouldn't want to pass on any parasites etc to your other Leo.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i was going to quarantine but the previous owner had 3 in one viv and they all got along and seemed healthy, so i thought i would try them together.

They are both on ther own now, she has only been in her viv for a week so i didn't think she would be as territorial.

Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
21 Posts
it sounds just like my situation (they just happen to be the same morphs too!). squiggle is a hot female and is so lovely and enjoys being handled but when i introduced phoenix to squiggle, squigs suddenly became quite vicious and i was really surprised. in the end we found out that squiggle is a hot female and wont get on with any geckos really. i split them up and put them in different tanks.
you could always try (to see if she is a hot female) putting them both in the same viv but split the viv into 2 with a perspex screen. it worked for my friend as they can see each other, and smell each other and they may get used to each other. it may first have been territorial. just try this and it will give some clues to whether or not she is a hot female or just territorial. :) hope this helps

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might give it a try, i've just got as many vivs as i have gecko's (5) due to most of them being male. i was hoping the females could share!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
just as yellrat said sometimes they just wont share, we tried to introduce one of ours to an established small group of 3 females, the group were fine but the girl that had previously lived alone while we quarantined her went psycho and managed to take a bite out of one of the sunglows heads before we could seperate them :gasp: she has been completely fine with the male i introduced to her for breeding but after seeing what she did the first time we decided not to risk her again with any other females so now she lives quite happily on her own

1 - 8 of 8 Posts