Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I either just found a really rare snake or I'm super dumb and about to be called out for that. While herping in Maryland, USA I found a snake that at first appeared to be a garter snake but had some really weird features, it almost looked like you took a eastern garter snake, tinted it green, and swapped the head for that of a rough green snake. It was smaller than the average garter snake but had the general eastern pattern. Easterns are the only garter native to the area but just be sure I confirmed that he looked like no one garter snake in the US. He was shaped like a rough green and his face looked almost identical, shapewise. He might be just a weird looking garter but I'm not sure either way. I've had this snake for about a year and a half trying to find answers and this are some interesting things I've noted: He's infertile, I've tried breeding him to my eastern garter twice now, they latched but no result. He is super aggressive, he's a little better than when I first got him but still cage defensive. He eats anything, I'm feeding him pinky heads as a stable but he has eaten slugs, nightcrawlers, fish, tadpoles, crickets, and once a beetle (he's also tried at a dubia roach). He also has barley grown at all. So, is this genetically possible? How would I test it if it was somehow possible? I'll attach a photo of his face compared to that of a rough green and a eastern garter.

This is Ember, the snake in question. (Sorry about the blur, I can try to get a new one if needed)

This is an eastern garter.

This is a rough green.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,293 Posts
Highly doubt they have hybridised, in fact im' not even sure that is possible.

I'm not familiar with native snakes in Maryland USA but after a quick search it looks as though you have an abundance of different species which it could be! could you try get a full body picture, will help us identify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Highly doubt they have hybridised, in fact im' not even sure that is possible.

I'm not familiar with native snakes in Maryland USA but after a quick search it looks as though you have an abundance of different species which it could be! could you try get a full body picture, will help us identify.
I've looked at all the md garters and those of the surrounding area and I have ruled out any normal garter. If he's not a hybrid of these two snakes he some sort of hybrid between two types of garters (or he could be an weird genetic morph). Usually you id a garter by what scale row lateral stripe is on but his stripe is inconsistent, moving up and down between scale rows (ranging from 1 to 5 to disappear entirely). So far these two snakes are the only ones he resembles.

·
Registered
169 Posts
could it not be a weird expression on a ribbon snake?
i had a look and there is a photo of a hypo western ribbon snake which looks rather like a green tinted garter but more slender.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I'm.only seeing a garter snake.
Given the rough greens are arboreal egg layers whilst garters are semi aquatic livebearers, there is si.y no way that they will hybridise.
It's most likely Thamnophis sirtalis, which is a highly variable species.
it could be a ribbon/garter hybrid.
Are you able to post a photo of the entire snake?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts