Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past year ive said before ill say it again omg at the amount of illness and ailments ive had i dunno if its because i have dogs, turtles and snakes and it seems a lot because theres 11 of them but haway!!

This is the same snake who had the infection in hes bum vent which seemed to clear up 2 months ago and the vet said he was fine he ate once after the vet and then stopped for the whole 2 months hes bum was starting to clog again so i restarted the betadine soaks and it became clear again.

He came out of shed yesterday and a couple of hours later when i got him out to check (i always wait a few hours incase of sensitivity) i noticed he had a small patch of darkened scales. I thought it was a patch of retained shed so i tried to wipe off with the wet towel and a few scales came off and it was raw and bloody i disinfected hes house and took everything out made it all clean checked today and its looking like this all yellow and greenish. No idea what it is or if its still something to do with hes infected vent or anything i tried to feed him today and he walloped 2 jumbos off when he was feeding i was looking at him and noticed he has another dark patch of scales further down hes body which im sure wasnt there yesterday. Ive been reading up if it is scale rot and there still eating betadine baths are good and also rubbing atheletes foot cream on the infected areas twice a day if its a mild form because its an antifungal cream is this lies? lol any advice as usual greatly appreciated also hes husbandry is paper towels and humidity is at a normal level so i dont know howthis has happened.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That looks nasty. Is there anything he could have burned himself on? Although it's not impossible by any means for scale rot to appear on the top of the snake, you'll normally find it on the belly first.

I wouldn't want to use athlete's foot treatment without professional advise though- what may be harmless for an adult human may well end with poisoning for a corn snake.

I would keep up the gentle iodine treatment, and consider a vets trip- certainly that's what you'll need to do immediately if it appears any worse.

As for the rate of illness you're seeing, its probably not due to the different animals you're keeping (lots of people keep a wide variety of animals and don't have problems) but is much more likely to be caused by husbandry issues. For example do they have access to a suitable hot spot/ temperature gradient? How often you you clean them out etc. Also keeping good hygiene practice between handling/ cleaning will also help prevent the spread of any nasties.
I apologise if I'm just teaching you how to suck eggs at the moment- but if you have a high rate of infections across your animals (especially if it's not just one animal which could have an underlying condition) then it's worth looking at your care practices just to rule out one possibility.

Good luck, hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I'd been ringing a vet in the morning.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He goes nuts when i touch it so i know its painful for him every viv gets cleaned and dettoled every week, their checked 3-4 times a day for any spillages or anything, any toilet deeds done get cleaned as soon as humanly possible im a full blown anal clean freak where it comes to them and the turtles because theres that much can go wrong. Hands are washed after handling each snake. Hes kicking on for 10 so i dunno weather hes age has anything to do with it but hes heat & humidity both fall in the right temps. There isnt anything he can hurt himself on in hes viv but it wasnt there before he went into shed but ive never had it any snakes ive had so no idea what it could be. Ill ring the vet up and ask for an appointment tomorrow hes gonna think i fancy him the amount of time ive seen him lately with this snake =/

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend of a friend who breeds snakes contacted me on fb after I shared a pic of axels scales and a mutual friend was taking on it anyway she suggested using sudocrem until he can get a vet appointment because it is anti bacterial and anti fungal and has the benz...something chemicals in it along with he's betadine baths has anyone heard or tried this??

·
Registered
745 Posts
When your snake had the infection - did he have any injections? I've seen something very similar looking 2 x ( not on my snakes, on forum ). It happened some time after an injection - I think it may have been Baytril ? ( I might be wrong there ), it was caused by tissue die back at the injection site.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope he was going to be started on them but then after all the betadine baths and upped temps etc the next time he shed he'd shed most of the gunk off and when the vet probed him he said he was all better. Between this one and my king the both of them have had skin issues the past few months which in 9 year of keeping them I've never had problems I'm losing faith this year as being capable of keeping them lol but the kings back to top health and so was this one until he came out of shed and this appeared. I can't get an appointment until Friday so I've been told to give him two betadine baths a day and apply savlon to help it heal and stay clean but I've got no idea at all where it's come from or what's caused it. He's still active and just ate two jumbo mice yesterday but he'll flinch if you touch the patch he has this large patch and a small patch near he's tail but he's underbelly is perfectly clear I'm truly stumped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts