Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, my leopard gecko has eaten very well her entire life so far, she is about 4 months, loved her crix, one day i decided to treat her to a waxworm (was trying to fatten her up a bit too), in the space of about 2 weeks i believe she has eaten 5. It is now day 3 and she has not been interested in any crix, any mealworms, any roaches... and i simply didn't want to feed her another wax so she hasn't eaten :(

I don't know what to do! is it okay for her to have a diet of wax's? (i doubt it is but figure i'd ask anyway) or does anyone know how to wean them off?

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
No, you wouldn't want to feed her all waxies, but in general three days without eating in gecko time would be like, um ... several hours in people time. :whistling2: :lol2:
It's true she's young, and they like to eat more often, but I bet she'll get hungry soon enough if you offer tasty things. That crazy juvie appetite ought to kick in eventually. :razz: Do keep in mind that as she matures, she'll want food less often.

From what I've heard roaches, hoppers, and what-have-you are usually enough to put a good amount of weight on a healthy young leo anyhow if you feed all they want, so personally I'd use waxies as a treat, but not as a way to fatten up a leo. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe i am just worrying too much :blush:
it's just she went to being hungry constantly, eating loads every day and then she suddenly stopped. But yeah the only reason i decided to try fattening her with wax's is because she was underweight while eating everything else, she's fine now.

Thanks for the advice anyway :) i'll see how she does in a couple more days

·
Registered
603 Posts
I found my juvi leo only ever stopped eating when i changed something round, something in her viv or cleaned out entire viv that was for a 2 - 3 days most. They don't like change at all because of their scent territory ect.

If it goes to the end of 2 weeks get a poo sample and get him/her to the vets for a check. This happened to mine before and by the end of the 2weeks she went straight to the vet, turnt out she had parasites and a foot infection.

Now (aproximately 2 years old) she a pig eating walrus lol Is it weird for a leo to be out its hide 24 - 7 and attack anything that moves, considering she weigh's 70 - 80g or so.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
:lol2: Sounds like she's making up for lost time, leebrett.

But yeah, always pay attention if your leo seems to be eating a lot without putting on any weight or is losing weight. Juvies are like teenagers, sometimes they just grow so fast they can't keep up with themselves. :razz: But a chronically underweight, well-fed leo may also have parasites.

·
Registered
603 Posts
She is bloody mental sometimes I wouldn't even stick my hand in there, she's a fruit loop. Stalks things in front of the glass, i think its the white powder she has in her tank :lol2:

Your leo be fine mate, I used to feed my leo waxy's on occasion as a juvi no prob's. It could be many of things maybe coming into shed, my leo stopped eating sometimes for a couple of days because of this before.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feed my leo waxy's not many two a week if that sometimes!
but the rest is all crickets and meal-worms.
But i agree, don't feed her anymore waxworms until she is back on crickets and meal worms, it will eventually get hungry, and i know mine is actually a beast when it eats, he will eat what he is given.
so don't panic.: victory:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts