Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i wondered if some of you could give me some of your advice. This is my first reptile (leopard gecko) so i am a total novice when it comes to reptiles. I've had my leo just over a month now and he's grown a considerable amount in this time. I have not handled him since I got him and now i was wondering if now could be the time to handle him? If so, how. I'v tried to pet him a little so he would get used to me this is either rewarded by him running off and hiding and coming back out a minute or two later or him assuming i'm food.
I went in today and took the lid off his humid hide so i could spray some water in it, this was a bit hit and miss as each time i went to try and take the lid off his hide he was getting ready to try and eat me. In the end i had to try and distract him with something, getting the lid back on was another story as he tried to do the same thing AGAIN! He's already gone for me twice before, i think this has probably made me scared of him. I dont want to distress him or hurt him in anyway.
Could my leo have a bad temper or just be confused?
Please help!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
in my opinion if you have had him a month and havent handled him at all then it is a case of him not being tamed by the owner, you gotta teach him that you are a friend and this is done by handling. What i would do is make sure im in contact with him at least twice a day and so he gets used to me, using treats if he is sitting in your hand is a good idea also, i used this when taming my beardie because he would puff up when i looked at him. So get handling!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
he's just scared, he thinks you may be a preditor come to eat him is all. a good way to get their trust is to start of my just putting your hand in the viv for a few mins a day, not right next to him, but so he can see it, then he will eventually come and lick you, to see what you are, he will soon climb on you once he has learnt your not a threat to him.

dont just go and grab him when you want to pick him up, as it will spook him. it takes time i know, but they do get there in the end and once they do, its great.

i know a lot of peep on here have used the hand feeding method, so they acociate you with a positive thing, however i dont personally do it as i dont want my leos to think hand = food (if you get what i mean lol)

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
remember, you are like 200 times his size! how would you feel if king kong touched you??:crazy:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Two tips.

1. Don't try to 'pet' him. They generally don't appreciate being petted along their top line unless they're VERY tame.
2. Start feeding him with tongs so that he gets to know that your hand is not attached to food - but that food comes WITH hands, not that hands eat geckos.

I'd personally let HIM come to YOU.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
Good advice here

Is he in a viv or a tank.

If a tank, enter your hand in the side furthest from him, and come towards him slowly along the floor.

If a viv, again come towards him slowly along the floor and stop close to him

then dont move your hand, he will start to investigate you

when you remove your hand, do so slowly away from him

All the time, talk to him, reassure him.

He will soon come to recongnise your sounds and that the hand is not trying to harm him.

His actions right now are defensive, he thinks your a threat, he hisses and lunges at you, and you go away, so in his mind, what he is doing is working.

you need to be brave, slow and committed.

may not happen over night, but there is every chance he will calm down.

Just remember this, he IS NOT trying to eat you. your to big to get in his mouth and he knows it.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Good advice here

His actions right now are defensive, he thinks your a threat, he hisses and lunges at you, and you go away, so in his mind, what he is doing is working.

you need to be brave, slow and committed.

may not happen over night, but there is every chance he will calm down.

Just remember this, he IS NOT trying to eat you. your to big to get in his mouth and he knows it.
Will also point out with that that they do not hurt when they bite :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all for your sound adivce. I'm gonna give it another go tonight.
I know they dont hurt when they bite its just been a shock each time its happened so now thats put some kinda fear into me. Oh well I just need to be brave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts