Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could people please post pics of their 50l or over rubs and the snake. as i am looking to get a 79cm long, 57cm deep and 18cm high rub and dont know if i could keep a male king or corn in it as an adult

·
Registered
881 Posts

thats a 42lts rub and its 2x1x12inch no snakes in it as i dont keep snakes in rubs mine all have vivs

·
Registered
396 Posts
we use 33 lt rubs and there perfect for our royals and corns

our royals have not missed feeds when in rubs like they did when in viv's

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
Many of the 'rubs' on this thread are not rubs! RUB is a brand of tubs (really useful boxes) and anything else is a tub not a rub!

baby boa in a 50L RUB

Adult male corn in a 50L RUB (~5 ft is perhaps a little longer)

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Andy

·
Banned
303 Posts
we use 33 lt rubs and there perfect for our royals and corns

our royals have not missed feeds when in rubs like they did when in viv's
I've heard similar things said by people in the past on many occasions. It's not the viv thats to blame, but the environment within it. A good sized viv has far more potential to provide spot on housing for a royal. It just needs setting up with plently of hides and a bit of extra work to ensure the heat and humidity are correct. Dump a royal used to a rub in a viv and it will possibly go of it's feed. Set it up correctly and show patience (A few weeks not days) until it's acclimated to it's new home and it will be fine.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've heard similar things said by people in the past on many occasions. It's not the viv thats to blame, but the environment within it. A good sized viv has far more potential to provide spot on housing for a royal. It just needs setting up with plently of hides and a bit of extra work to ensure the heat and humidity are correct. Dump a royal used to a rub in a viv and it will possibly go of it's feed. Set it up correctly and show patience (A few weeks not days) until it's acclimated to it's new home and it will be fine.
Here here :no1:

D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My sons wanting his first snake, must admit not so keen on the idea myself but he is doing work experience in a reptile shop at moment (had hoped it would put him off the idea of having one lol but nooooo, its just made him more keen)

His dad however doesnt want to pay a lot for a set up (tight arse) and a few of the vivs we have seen are quite pricey! maybe a RUB would be an option for us! how do you heat one though (im assuming statted heat mat underneath but just at one side??) my concern is really is that its going to mean the snake is less on show in a RUB and whether they have a better standard of life in a viv??

Hes after a western hognose (im resisting at the moment as not sure its an ideal first snake) but would a RUB be ok for one of these if we went ahead?? (at least until my hubby got used to the snake and put his hand in his pocket for a nice viv!!)

By the way my hubby resists all pets and the expense that comes with them but the big softie generally ends up looking after them all and paying out for them in the end!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My sons wanting his first snake, must admit not so keen on the idea myself but he is doing work experience in a reptile shop at moment (had hoped it would put him off the idea of having one lol but nooooo, its just made him more keen)

His dad however doesnt want to pay a lot for a set up (tight arse) and a few of the vivs we have seen are quite pricey! maybe a RUB would be an option for us! how do you heat one though (im assuming statted heat mat underneath but just at one side??) my concern is really is that its going to mean the snake is less on show in a RUB and whether they have a better standard of life in a viv??

Hes after a western hognose (im resisting at the moment as not sure its an ideal first snake) but would a RUB be ok for one of these if we went ahead?? (at least until my hubby got used to the snake and put his hand in his pocket for a nice viv!!)

By the way my hubby resists all pets and the expense that comes with them but the big softie generally ends up looking after them all and paying out for them in the end!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

50L RUB is perfect for an adult Hognose, they definatly don't need anything bigger, I have my adult females in 50L's and they have loads of room.

Head with a heat mat under 1/3 of the tub. Hognoses burrow so provide a couple of inches of Aspen. They are also active during the day so you'll see (and hear :whistling2:) plenty of it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
my bloods 50l rub

my royals 84l rub which has the same floor space as a 50l, just taller.

(now switched to digital thermometer's and hygrometers)

: victory:

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
As said a 50L RUB fine for an adult hognose, my juvenile is in a 12L at the moment.

This is how I would set it up (only replace the heat strip with a heat mat that covers around a third of the base of the RUB.) In a warm room such as the living room or a bedroom that will be a great home for a little hognose!

Of course, with him working in a reptile shop, it won't belong before his wardrobe looks like this:

"No it's alright boss, don't worry about the cash, pay me in shop credit!":lol2:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here's my 50 RUB with my year old corn.

Brads

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

hope this helps
Thats all great thanks!!!

Would we not need UV lights or anything then?? im assuming we would need to drill small ventilation holes??

Hes just on work experience for two weeks in a reptile shop and loving it! hes wanted a snake for ages but im a bit of a wuss , they scare me so one of conditions was that he got some experience so that i was confident he would take care of one!

Are RUBS quite escape proof? thought of a snake on the loose would give me sleepless nights! or would a lockable viv be more secure??

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Thats all great thanks!!!

Would we not need UV lights or anything then?? im assuming we would need to drill small ventilation holes??

Hes just on work experience for two weeks in a reptile shop and loving it! hes wanted a snake for ages but im a bit of a wuss , they scare me so one of conditions was that he got some experience so that i was confident he would take care of one!

Are RUBS quite escape proof? thought of a snake on the loose would give me sleepless nights! or would a lockable viv be more secure??
No UV required for snakes.

Yes, you need to dril ventilation holes.

The RUB's have handles that lock onto the lid, making it escape proof... as long as you remember to lock it :lol2: That applies to any enclosure though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts