Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! :2thumb:

Can someone explain to me a 'powerade bath'.

What's the use?
What actually is it?
When is it good to use a 'powerade bath'?

Thanks. :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Powerade as in the blue/red energy drink (gatorade in the state) which replenishes "electrolytes" among other things. People on here discovered the joys of it after a thread by WLW (don't discuss his where abouts) in which you add some to a bath for a dehydrated/after mating/run down snake/lizard. Apparently it does wonders.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Powerade as in the blue/red energy drink (gatorade in the state) which replenishes "electrolytes" among other things. People on here discovered the joys of it after a thread by WLW (don't discuss his where abouts) in which you add some to a bath for a dehydrated/after mating/run down snake/lizard. Apparently it does wonders.
I tho9ught it meant the drink! Just confused me a little.

Thankyou, I can see now why it would be good with shedding.

Is it not harmful if they drink a little bit of it?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
lols I think tis just a case he is quite respected by many members, saved many reptiles through his homemade therapies e.t.c
but yes god is the wrong word how about "clever"
Respected by many maybe and i agree he may have saved a fair few reptiles but his "homemade remedies" are nothing that have not been used for years by many reptile keepers who have been keeping for longer than he has been alive. Im not nocking the guy although it sounds like it, but the methods he explains are stuff that i and many other shall we say old school keepers have been using, devising and perfecting for years. they are not secrets they are just methods and techniques that have been handed down and banded about. i first heard about using poweraid, or gatoraid as it was back in the 90's.

I think the problem these days is that people have forgoten how to think.
Before the internet when we had problems we all had to think for ourselves and learn and devise solutions to our problems with reptiles, and this is where a lot of the things that are classed as alternative methods were thought up. Its so easy these days to jump on the forum and ask a question when you have a problem. Most of the problems are usually simple ones and using a little grey matter could usually sort it out, hence why i say keepers these days have forgoten how to think, and sort there own problems out. There are no gods or anything like that in this game no one knows it all 30 years in and i have kept 150+ species of snake and im still learning, and will for as long as i keep them. The very reason a lot of stuff is kept easily know, is due to many of the longer term keepers importing and endevouring to keep stuff and we used to fail regularly but then you get it right and pass this info on to other keepers we met and we all shared info with each other usually face to face, and its because of the long term keepers and breeders that the hobby of snake keeping is thriving and its down to the older guys that a lot of stuff can be kept reletivly easy these days. And it all comes down to using your brain's there isnt usually that with some thought and a littl knowledge on the species you are keeping that you cant figure out for yourselves. Im not saying you shouldnt ask questions but why not try to figure it out and then ask if you did something that you have thought of would it work. Chances are you will not be far wrong if its thought our well.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As i said he may have a lot of people who respect him. But there are a lot of guys with as much or more knowledge than he does but the problem i find is its very hard to speak up against a guy who has been elevated to such i high regard amongst people. I for one disagree on one of the methods he advocates and i can back it up with years of personal experience but it would be an exercise in futility to air my views as i would be shot down as he is regarded as the all knowing one. Also you will be supprised at how many who will actually be glad he has gone, me i couldnt care less as im not in it for the noteriorty and i care not if i am respected this is not my or indeed many peoples motivation.

As for why he anoyed the mods enough to ban him remember all that glitters is not gold, i have an idea why but ill not be saying what.
As I said. I've never dealt with him so have no idea. His methods might have been old ones used for years but he was telling people about them. Its all well and good having 30 years experience but its no use if the knowledge isn't shared. 10 years ago when I got my first beardie all I had was 1 book and no internet just the reference section of the local library and I would have loved to be able to use somewhere like this as at times I felt I was groping around in the dark looking for answers. He's 11 now so I guess I kinda got it right in the end lol. Not saying you don't help as your name crops up a lot when I'm browsing snake threads

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Thankyou, I can see now why it would be good with shedding.

Is it not harmful if they drink a little bit of it?
It's nothing to do with shedding... it's SUPPOSED to be drunk by the animal.

Powerade is sugar water with electrolytes (and blue!) - the combination of sugar and electrolytes can stimulate a snake or lizard to feed.

It's essentially the same as an Avipro/Reptiboost bath, but using something you could find at your corner shop at 10PM on a Saturday night.

One thing that MUST be done is rinsing the stuff off the animal afterwards - you don't want to leave sugar dried on the reptile because that's a brilliant way to breed fungus/bacteria.

And all the old techniques are out there if people just picked up half a dozen books on their chosen species instead of finding one internet recipe and following that to the letter....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well said! About time i read a decent post like this.

Respected by many maybe and i agree he may have saved a fair few reptiles but his "homemade remedies" are nothing that have not been used for years by many reptile keepers who have been keeping for longer than he has been alive. Im not nocking the guy although it sounds like it, but the methods he explains are stuff that i and many other shall we say old school keepers have been using, devising and perfecting for years. they are not secrets they are just methods and techniques that have been handed down and banded about. i first heard about using poweraid, or gatoraid as it was back in the 90's.

Before the internet when we had problems we all had to think for ourselves and learn and devise solutions to our problems with reptiles, and this is where a lot of the things that are classed as alternative methods were thought up. Its so easy these days to jump on the forum and ask a question when you have a problem. Most of the problems are usually simple ones and using a little grey matter could usually sort it out, hence why i say keepers these days have forgoten how to think, and sort there own problems out. There are no gods or anything like that in this game no one knows it all 30 years in and i have kept 150+ species of snake and im still learning, and will for as long as i keep them. The very reason a lot of stuff is kept easily know, is due to many of the longer term keepers importing and endevouring to keep stuff and we used to fail regularly but then you get it right and pass this info on to other keepers we met and we all shared info with each other usually face to face, and its because of the long term keepers and breeders that the hobby of snake keeping is thriving and its down to the older guys that a lot of stuff can be kept reletivly easy these days. And it all comes down to using your brain's there isnt usually that with some thought and a littl knowledge on the species you are keeping that you cant figure out for yourselves. Im not saying you shouldnt ask questions but why not try to figure it out and then ask if you did something that you have thought of would it work. Chances are you will not be far wrong if its thought our well.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts

This : victory:

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Keep this ontopic people and not regarding someone who isnt welcome on the forums.

Powerade is used just as a method to rehydrate the snake. It's the same reason i'd guess as to why humans would drink it for rehydration. Just that extra bonus over water.

It isnt just powerade. there are many of that type of drink from different brands that you can use. Lucozade has been mentioned quite alot in the past in my time of being on these forums.

The earliest search for powerade on rfuk itself i can see is in this thread:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/161955-best-way-rehydrate-snake.html

I'm 99% sure there was a thread a while back regarding this on another forum. from 2005 or something. But can't seem to find it.

I'm not 100% sure i'd really trust the use of powerade. Surely other ingredients could have a side effect on a snake? If theres someone reading this th at is qualified to actually correct me on it i would find it very interesting to read

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Is he like voldermort? (He who must not be mentioned) lol! Would be interesting to know how he upset the moderators as a lot of people seem to respect him. Only really used this site for a couple of months personally so never really dealt with him that I can remember
It definately seems that way:whistling2:

excellent points, he who must not be named was always for treating your own animals, the impression I got was he didnt agree with treatments as such for what ever reason.
I have no doubt his methods probably were tried and tested, in the years the hobby has came a long way and everyone who was involved in reptiles as it gradually came along in huge numbers will have had to try certian things, like you mentioned on another thread, you implied the older generations made the mistakes so we didnt have to.
I think Christian explained the methods a little more in simple english as time went on, also fusing it with his years of knowledge and quite frankly I respect the guy and I respect amny others on this forum including you Lee.:no1:

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Surely it would be better using reptile products like avipro and critical care? As trice said I would be concerned about other ingrediants in energy drinks. I am no pro though.
as time went on these products havent always had a good effect, so people will resort to other methods, how many times have you tried a food and not licked it, you seem never to look back!
there is an old saying old habits die hard and in this case methods, as an energy drink I suppose it would have a beeter and quicker effect on rehydrating animals if all else fails, but I see the point trice and yourself are making.
To summarise it is personal preference really.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
I'm not criticising the "old school" keepers who've been keeping for longer than i've been born. I'm just wondering if there have been any real tests by qualified people with regards to the products that are made for human consumption rather than animal consumption.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
I'd worry a bit about the food colourings / etc (as I said, sugar water with electrolytes and !!BLUE!!) ... but I'd have thought that something like Dioralyte / Pedialyte would be acceptable (and conversely if I needed a rehydration solution for myself and all I happened to have in was a tub of Reptiboost or Avipro, I wouldn't have a problem using that).

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
I'm not criticising the "old school" keepers who've been keeping for longer than i've been born. I'm just wondering if there have been any real tests by qualified people with regards to the products that are made for human consumption rather than animal consumption.
of course I myself havent tried these methods never had too to be honest but it has apparantly worked on alot of reptiles? I say apparantly
If I was struggling as a last resort for what ever reason I think I would try it.: victory: but again this is something that needs to be looked into so yeah I can see both points.
the question is does it really matter if your pets life can be saved by what ever means to help it live healthy?
(including vets)

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
it is a very under researched area, which is a shame. there is the possibility for a lot more resaerch to be undertaken. however to date there is noting to support the use of alternative methods or the 'reptile' branded ones, other then peoples expereince.

With regard to some of the other comments, I also know a lot of other older keepers and various other proffesionals who have used simular methods for years, and I am sure they have been around even longer. However, up untill Christian made that thread i had never heard of guide in that detail being created on any forum. Although other threads have been made on alternative rehydration methods, i remember some old friends using ribina which they swore worked well (theres a thread on it here) and others using lucozade. I have a lot of respect for Christain as he brought some of the older alternative methods to light, and did so in a way that made them accesable by all. there are loads of people that had never heard of these methods untill Christain brought them to light, I don't think he has ever claimed he developed them, but he is the only old style keeper i know writting such comprehensive guides on forums like this. If all the older keepers started writting such guides on their personal alternative methods, instead of slating others who have done it, this forum would be a wonderful wealth of knowledge and expereince.

Since reading all of the alternative methods that people have recently started noting down for others to read, I have started to compile some of my own to puplish on here with reagrd to the planted section mainly. Hopefully some of my own alterantive methods, that work for me, may help others.

More related to the thread, I have used this methods to replace one i was previously using and it works well. Though remeber to wash any animal afterwards in clean water to remove the sugar residue.

jay

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sorry its my fault for mentioning his ban :bash: never realised it was such a hot topic on here. Can we all stay on the original subject now? Anyone ever used the powerade bath?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
using ribina which they swore worked well
I tried Ribena in the water bowl of a non-feeding snake.

I don't know if it was coincidence or Ribena that he DID take the next offered feed.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I took on a none feeding carpet that was in a very bad way. Serverly dehydrated and i think at deaths door, i gave it two 20 minute baths about an hour and a half apart and could see an immediate benefit.

I bathed it twice a week for two weeks and offered it a chick leg at the end of the third week that it smashed down. Whether it's 100% safe i couldn't say but in that case the benefits far outweighed any possible risks.
What i would say though is that a good reptile vet is worth their weight in gold. I worry that some keepers may misdiagnose or use an inappropriate treatments that can worsen a condition or decrease the chances of an animals survival.
Consultation with a vet where the required tests can be carried out and various treatment methods discussed i think is the best course of action.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts