Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what people's opinions are on the use of original powerade over reptile branded probiotics.

Is powerade a cheaper inferior alternative or are Avipro and the likes simply overpriced due to the reptile branding?

I always assumed powerade was a good alternative if you can't get the real stuff in short notice however after some digging I've heard comments that there is little difference other than the price... So, thoughts please?!

I unfortunately can't comment on Avipro or similar quite yet (its on order) however used a 10% powerade solution two nights ago and it seems to have done wonders! :notworthy:

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
Poweraid is a rehydration solution. Avipro is a probiotic solutionwith rehydration properties. It provides the friendly bacteria needed for digestion. Reptiaid, CCF and Poweraid do not contain probiotics. Different products with different functions and indications for use.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poweraid is a rehydration solution. Avipro is a probiotic solutionwith rehydration properties. It provides the friendly bacteria needed for digestion. Reptiaid, CCF and Poweraid do not contain probiotics. Different products with different functions and indications for use.
Brilliant, that's exactly the kind of replies I was hoping for. Guess in my circumstance powerade was ideal then as it was lethargy over feeding that was the issue. The electrolytes seem to have perked him right up, over the last two days he has spent roughly 8 hours out and about as apposed to an hour a day if at all.

So the thread title should have been powerade V reptaid, CCF? Would you then consider these to be overpriced or worth the extra price tag? Its just interesting me that's all.

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
Hard to say. Poweraid isnt designed for reptiles. CCF was if I recall correctly designed for avian use but reptile physiology is very similar. ( Avipro is for avian rep and small animal) Are you talking about Reptaid or Reptiaid. Its late so I might get these the wrong way round. Reptiaid is another rehydration solution and not overly expensive. Reptaid made by Amber Technologies is completely different. Its a probiotic, natural antibiotic, antiparasitic appetite stimulant. Its rather expensive and extremely potent. Some of the ingredients if given in the wrong dose can do a lot of damage. Used correctly in the right circumstances it csn be very good in which case it is great value. As I say, without going down to look in the fridge I may have got reptaid and reptiaid names the wrong way round. I would be very cautious using the amber technology one and I wouldnt recommend it for general use. I know someone is looking into problems that have occured when its been used on beardied.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just wondering, are you talking powerade as in the human drink??

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
I think folks have found blue poweraid designed for human consumption makes a good rehydration bath solution.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow that's awesome! Might be useful in a pinch in the future!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am indeed! I was like 'whaaaat?!' At first but after looking in to it many swear by it. I thought it couldn't hurt (if used correctly, 10% powerade, 90% water) and unless pure coincidence it seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hard to say. Poweraid isnt designed for reptiles. CCF was if I recall correctly designed for avian use but reptile physiology is very similar. ( Avipro is for avian rep and small animal) Are you talking about Reptaid or Reptiaid. Its late so I might get these the wrong way round. Reptiaid is another rehydration solution and not overly expensive. Reptaid made by Amber Technologies is completely different. Its a probiotic, natural antibiotic, antiparasitic appetite stimulant. Its rather expensive and extremely potent. Some of the ingredients if given in the wrong dose can do a lot of damage. Used correctly in the right circumstances it csn be very good in which case it is great value. As I say, without going down to look in the fridge I may have got reptaid and reptiaid names the wrong way round. I would be very cautious using the amber technology one and I wouldnt recommend it for general use. I know someone is looking into problems that have occured when its been used on beardied.
Sorry, I mean the rehydration solutions, so not amber technology. I've heard that they are extremely similar, simply packed full of electrolytes. I'll be honest I haven't looked in to it much, just wanted opinions from people that have used it or looked in to using it.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
As these are all essentially rehydration therapies, I suppose the more important thing to think about is why this had such a big effect on your reptile. It seems more likely that it was hydration and not food that was the issue. Either way, glad you found the solution to your problem though! Has he been eating more lately too?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As these are all essentially rehydration therapies, I suppose the more important thing to think about is why this had such a big effect on your reptile. It seems more likely that it was hydration and not food that was the issue. Either way, glad you found the solution to your problem though! Has he been eating more lately too?
Feeding never was the issue (although his appetite has increased), he was still feeding and gaining weight just inactive. I hear what you're saying and not denying you could be right however he was being bathed often anyway as his appetite was suppressed (I believe it was/is a state of brumation) so I was bathing twice a week to be sure he wasn't dehydrated. He wasn't showing any signs of dehydration and obviously wasn't basking often so I don't believe he was dehydrated. But maybe he was to an extent and water wasn't simply enough. Either way, its had an effect or is simply coincidence.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This makes me wanna say...

Can I use Liptons iced tea? I find that thoroughly refreshing.

Lol.

May use this technique on torro and Brian, they seem rather lethargic of late.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not iced tea btw :bash:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
In most dehydration cases a good drink of water is enough to solve it.
Which in some cases it is hard to achieve. Torro dislikes baths, won't drink whilst in his baths and doesn't drink from the snout either. So as usual, its a case of the animal.

In retrospect though, he does get some higher % water based veg every now and then but only as a treat.

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
Which in some cases it is hard to achieve. Torro dislikes baths, won't drink whilst in his baths and doesn't drink from the snout either. So as usual, its a case of the animal.

In retrospect though, he does get some higher % water based veg every now and then but only as a treat.
In most cases of thirsty animals they will drink themselves :) at least in my expirience, I know what you mean though.

In most individual situations (I speak mainly of keepers who will use any product blindly because (that person on the internet said so) without knowing or understanding all of the facts/varibles and risks which are present, it is better to use products like Avi Pro + and reptoboost and to follow the instructions.

Powerade does have its uses but I am greatly concerned for its use being used blindly, sometimes on the internet, things are easily mis-interpretated, I know of a few cases when things have gone wrong, unfortunately the keepers are often to ashamed to come forward and admit they done wrong for everyone to learn, and to be fair the way this forum can be at times I don't blame them for protecting their virtue, being careful is all I am saying. Only a little while ago I read of a keeper bomparding his royal pythons in powerade baths when they stopped eating? why? that is just utterly rediculous. this goes back to the whole google common thought of animals must eat to be healthy, healthy animals CAN stop eating, and ill ones CAN eat, it is too subjective, but unfortunately I can't see this way of thinking changing any time soon.

An expirienced keeper will do what the heck they want regardless of what anyone says (using powerade/feeding lettuce/using substrates/ smaller than common though enclosures/ higher than reccomended basking areas/ etc etc, or what any care sheet on google says, they have the knowledge, and expirience, someone who does not understand all the varibles is more likley to make errors in judgement and this is dangerous, and for that reason I would strongly reccomend anyone who has not seen this method done by someone who knows what they are doing, to stick with products that will come with instructions, and are specifically designed for reptiles and that specific purpose.

: victory:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Feeding never was the issue (although his appetite has increased), he was still feeding and gaining weight just inactive. I hear what you're saying and not denying you could be right however he was being bathed often anyway as his appetite was suppressed (I believe it was/is a state of brumation) so I was bathing twice a week to be sure he wasn't dehydrated. He wasn't showing any signs of dehydration and obviously wasn't basking often so I don't believe he was dehydrated. But maybe he was to an extent and water wasn't simply enough. Either way, its had an effect or is simply coincidence.
Sorry, it was not meant as a criticism at all, just was stating that it seems thats the only thing the Powerade couldve effected in any way.

Ive always thought that a bath's effect on overall hydration would be pretty minimal. I could be wrong, but their whole adaptation is to not allow for osmosis to occur through their skin, so it seems like that would go both ways. I would guess that most, if not all, of their moisture comes from food, so if that were reduced then so too would moisture levels.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In most cases of thirsty animals they will drink themselves :) at least in my expirience, I know what you mean though.

In most individual situations (I speak mainly of keepers who will use any product blindly without knowing or understanding all of the facts presented, it is better to use products like Avi Pro + and reptoboost and to follow the instructions.

Powerade does have its uses but I am greatly concerned for its use being used blindly, sometimes on the internet, things are easily mis-interpretated, I know of a few cases when things have gone wrong, unfortunately the keepers are often to ashamed to come forward and admit they done wrong for everyone to learn, and to be fair the way this forum can be at times I don't blame them for protecting their virtue, being careful is all I am saying.

An expirienced keeper will do what the heck they want regardless of what anyone says, or what any care sheet on google says, they have the knowledge, and expirience, someone who does not understand all the varibles is more likley to make errors in judgement and this is dangerous, and for that reason I would strongly reccomend anyone who has not seen this method done by someone who knows what they are doing, to stick with products that will come with instructions, and are specifically designed for reptiles and that specific purpose.

: victory:
This is fair enough and I respect you for saying so. I did research in to its use a fair bit beforehand and felt it was safe enough and I was capable enough to go ahead with it (I certainly wouldn't use the term 'blindly' for my use of it, I am however not insinuating that you meant me specifically) and it seems to have had the exact effect I was hoping for, so all is good.

Regarding drinking, I have never ever seen my boy do so, from a bowl, bath or from the snout and he certainly has enough opportunity to do so. As I said I have been bathing twice a week to no avail but this seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, it was not meant as a criticism at all, just was stating that it seems thats the only thing the Powerade couldve effected in any way.

Ive always thought that a bath's effect on overall hydration would be pretty minimal. I could be wrong, but their whole adaptation is to not allow for osmosis to occur through their skin, so it seems like that would go both ways. I would guess that most, if not all, of their moisture comes from food, so if that were reduced then so too would moisture levels.
No it's fine! And I do agree with what you're saying but it's a vicious circle. He didn't seem to have the get up and go to eat properly so needed something to kick him out of this lull. I'm hoping these two energetic days of basking and pigging out will be enough to keep him going as so. I have my PALS kit ready to be sent off once he poos and he'll be going to the vet at the end of the month to be sure all is ok but it certainly appears to getting better!

·
Registered
17,669 Posts
This is fair enough and I respect you for saying so. I did research in to its use a fair bit beforehand and felt it was safe enough and I was capable enough to go ahead with it (I certainly wouldn't use the term 'blindly' for my use of it, I am however not insinuating that you meant me specifically) and it seems to have had the exact effect I was hoping for, so all is good.

Regarding drinking, I have never ever seen my boy do so, from a bowl, bath or from the snout and he certainly has enough opportunity to do so. As I said I have been bathing twice a week to no avail but this seems to have done the trick.
Tom I definately wasn't implying it directly at anyone but I am speaking more generally than anything :) I know you of all people would not have done something like that without looking into it further.

I know things have gone wrong in the past because I advised someone on this very forum to do it, they misinterpretated something I said (which was partly my fault) and things went wrong, now this made me feel crap and it gave me a big slap of reality for just how dangerous the internet can soemtimes be, for a start and since then I have never once advised the use of powerade openly on a public forum, you might find some of my past posts advising it, but to be fair I would greatly appreciate people ignoring those posts if they ever come across them.

An example of exactly what I am talking about can be seen on the very first page of this thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.