Reptile Forums banner

Powerade V reptiboost, Avipro, etc

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Ratamahata 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what people's opinions are on the use of original powerade over reptile branded probiotics.

Is powerade a cheaper inferior alternative or are Avipro and the likes simply overpriced due to the reptile branding?

I always assumed powerade was a good alternative if you can't get the real stuff in short notice however after some digging I've heard comments that there is little difference other than the price... So, thoughts please?!

I unfortunately can't comment on Avipro or similar quite yet (its on order) however used a 10% powerade solution two nights ago and it seems to have done wonders! :notworthy:

#2 ·
Poweraid is a rehydration solution. Avipro is a probiotic solutionwith rehydration properties. It provides the friendly bacteria needed for digestion. Reptiaid, CCF and Poweraid do not contain probiotics. Different products with different functions and indications for use.

#3 ·
Brilliant, that's exactly the kind of replies I was hoping for. Guess in my circumstance powerade was ideal then as it was lethargy over feeding that was the issue. The electrolytes seem to have perked him right up, over the last two days he has spent roughly 8 hours out and about as apposed to an hour a day if at all.

So the thread title should have been powerade V reptaid, CCF? Would you then consider these to be overpriced or worth the extra price tag? Its just interesting me that's all.

#4 ·
Hard to say. Poweraid isnt designed for reptiles. CCF was if I recall correctly designed for avian use but reptile physiology is very similar. ( Avipro is for avian rep and small animal) Are you talking about Reptaid or Reptiaid. Its late so I might get these the wrong way round. Reptiaid is another rehydration solution and not overly expensive. Reptaid made by Amber Technologies is completely different. Its a probiotic, natural antibiotic, antiparasitic appetite stimulant. Its rather expensive and extremely potent. Some of the ingredients if given in the wrong dose can do a lot of damage. Used correctly in the right circumstances it csn be very good in which case it is great value. As I say, without going down to look in the fridge I may have got reptaid and reptiaid names the wrong way round. I would be very cautious using the amber technology one and I wouldnt recommend it for general use. I know someone is looking into problems that have occured when its been used on beardied.

#9 ·
Sorry, I mean the rehydration solutions, so not amber technology. I've heard that they are extremely similar, simply packed full of electrolytes. I'll be honest I haven't looked in to it much, just wanted opinions from people that have used it or looked in to using it.

#5 ·
Just wondering, are you talking powerade as in the human drink??

#6 ·
I think folks have found blue poweraid designed for human consumption makes a good rehydration bath solution.

#7 ·
Wow that's awesome! Might be useful in a pinch in the future!

#10 ·
As these are all essentially rehydration therapies, I suppose the more important thing to think about is why this had such a big effect on your reptile. It seems more likely that it was hydration and not food that was the issue. Either way, glad you found the solution to your problem though! Has he been eating more lately too?

#11 ·
Feeding never was the issue (although his appetite has increased), he was still feeding and gaining weight just inactive. I hear what you're saying and not denying you could be right however he was being bathed often anyway as his appetite was suppressed (I believe it was/is a state of brumation) so I was bathing twice a week to be sure he wasn't dehydrated. He wasn't showing any signs of dehydration and obviously wasn't basking often so I don't believe he was dehydrated. But maybe he was to an extent and water wasn't simply enough. Either way, its had an effect or is simply coincidence.

#12 ·
This makes me wanna say...

Can I use Liptons iced tea? I find that thoroughly refreshing.

Lol.

May use this technique on torro and Brian, they seem rather lethargic of late.

#15 ·
Which in some cases it is hard to achieve. Torro dislikes baths, won't drink whilst in his baths and doesn't drink from the snout either. So as usual, its a case of the animal.

In retrospect though, he does get some higher % water based veg every now and then but only as a treat.

#21 ·
Hell.. no body is at fault here. Tom got the desired results from this and no single person has slated his methods.

Winning for the most proactive member of this section of RFUK!.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.