Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to order some mantis. got containers set up. jars 11inch high. basically large sweet jars. but cant find any species that are sort of medium size and easy for a beginner. any ideas anyone? or maybe the large size mantis will do ok in this?.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I keep my mantid in plastic pint pots so a 11 inch jar is a mansion compared :whistling2:
I cant think of any sized mantis that wont fit into a large sweet jar so get whatever catches your eye :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
giant mantids wil be ok in swettie jars.all tho if your only keeping 1 or 2 as pets i would buy a proper tank!sweetie jars are fine if your breeding..if your keeping them as pets get a decent tank so it can move..it depened on what you want..a chinese mantis in a sweetie jar is pain in ass..they want to be moving around all the time..trying to walk up the plastic and rubbing there eyes against the jar..but other ones like peacock mantis just sit on the stick all day and are happy.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so could you name a few species id get on well with and would be happy in there. i do plan on trying to breed though :). so we got peacock mantis first :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd say the giant asians are the easiest beginner mantids, start in a plastic pint sized cup then move up to sweet jar and then a nice tank.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
i think an orchid mantis is quite easy to keep and thay only get to arond 5cm
yer but you cant buy them yet..there rare at the min..those giant Asians are wicked..im going to get 3 or 4 when i can afford it..one of the bests species iv ever photographed

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
could the adult giant asian stay in the sweet jars i have?
yer.i wouldnt mate them in the jars tho...theres not enough room.but yer it would fit in a sweetie jar.make sure u have a nice big stick in the jar.i make sure the stick is just below the netting lid..this way if it wants to hang from the netting it dont have to try and attempt to climb in plastic which when wet can make them slip.and fro the top thats a big fall for a fat female.just last week my female flower mantis which was fat and ready to lay an ooth fell off my hand on to the floor..it was about a 3ft drop..the next day i found it dead on the bottom of the tank.

what are you going to use for medium?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts