Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PRB lighting!

i am going to be getting a bigger tank in april(ish), about 40inch or 3ft by 3ft high. and i was woundering, what lighting can i use for night and/or day lighting?

Reactions: Trice

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way the tank will be for a PRB, rainbow boa.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump......

·
Registered
990 Posts
All RB's are nocturnal and as such do not need any light in the viv. My PRB's sem to be doing fine with a humid hide under a ceramic heater. The temps I use are 86f through the day and 80f through the night.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i now they dont NEED light but what could i use, for display wise, during the day, as it would be dark.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use 12w "nightlight" bulbs to light my vivs - they give out very little heat so won't affect the gradient in a decent sized viv like yours.

It would still need to be guarded though, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
LED or cold cathode strip lights are good, you can usually get blue ones which give a nice "moonlight" look and they do not give out any heat.
Alternatively you could use a normal little stri light like they use under kitchen cabinets.
If you go for a normal bulb make sure it is very low wattage so it doesnt affect your temp gradient.

Im going to move this to the equipment section, should get some more advice there.

·
Registered
990 Posts
i now they dont NEED light but what could i use, for display wise, during the day, as it would be dark.
If they don't need it then why put it in?

I used to use a reptile sun 3.0 on the ceiling of my snake room but this was more for controlling day length for breeding pythons.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i wanted to get a light for 12hours DAY, and 12 Hours NIGHT which ones whould i get, could you advise any from here Livefood UK Light Bulbs?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wouldn't bother with UV bulbs for a nocturnal snake (or any snake for that matter).
Some may disagree, but if the snake is going to be in a hide for the vast majority of the daylight hours then what's the point?

I use bulbs similar to these:

GLS 10W BC pearl - Lightbulbs Direct - Your source for buying domestic light bulbs!

The actual ones I have are 12w - you can get them from Tescos, Homebase, etc, and cost about £1.50 for two.

They give a soft light but it's enough to light a medium sized viv without being too glaring.

If you want to use a UV bulb then go ahead. It'll be unlikely to cause any problems - the snake will be hiding most of the time that it's on anyway. IMHO I reckon your money would be better spent elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts