Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently had a pet monitor that died. It feels fairly soon to give another lizard husbandry, but I have a limited window to obtain a tegu before they are banned in my state, so I'm going to be getting a juvenile argentine in the next week. I plan to renovate the enclosure I kept my ackie monitor had, and move the tegu to a larger enclosure when he gets bigger. here are some details on what I plan to do, and I'd like some feedback. If anyone has recommended sources or books for tegu care, please suggest them. I want to study up and give the best care possible to this animal.

The substrate is composed of a sand/soil mix (around 30% sand)
Spag moss and leaf litter is also present.
4 feet long x 2 feet wide
at least 8 inches of substrate.

These are the bulbs I'm currently using. they are both 16 inches above ground level, but I plan to include a basking ledge of some sot below the basking bulb:
tube bulb is Arcadia 12% UVB T5 HO.
Basking bulb is an Exoterra 100W intense basking bulb
These two bulbs are on a timer so they go on at 8am, and off at 7am.

I also ordered a reptifogger, and can hopefully maintain around 80% humidity.
the soil right now is rather dry and dead so I plan on mixing in a gallon or two of water and buying some new custodians (springtails, isopods)

I'll update with temps and pictures once everything is completed and has been running for a while.
Here is a picture of the little guy from the pet shop :)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I'm particularly worried about is the lighting situation. I think my UVB is too close according to this:
The cheapest solution would be to downgrade to a less powerful bulb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a less powerful bulb, hasn't arrived yet. Picking up the Tegu tomorrow. Did a ton of work on the cage today.
Cut some cool branches and grabbed some leaves from outside, and baked them to removed organisms.
Plants are Hibiscus, Snake plant, Prickly pear, and Succulent. All edible I believe? or at least not blatantly harmful. washed them clean and removed them from their pots incase there was fertilizer or chemicals. . UVB Bulb is too powerful, but I ordered a 6% bulb that should arrive soon. Also ordered some more sphagnum and moss and a Reptifogger to help maintain humidity.
about 9 inches of substrate, 4 feet long, 2 feet wide. Hope you guys like it. Be free to leave suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks good though personally i would add more hides (flat cork works well) and I would remove the cactus as i have one of those as a house plant and when i've been stabbed by it its an absolute nightmare. Only use the spineless ones in enclosures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts