Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought there should be a thread of ideas for primate owners to share their enrichment ideas. As we all know, these highly intelligent animals can get bored easily & need a lot of stimulation to keep them healthy in both body & mind.

Here are some of the enrichment ideas I currently use:

The puzzle feeder - this is a parrot puzzle feeder toy. It has a hole in each of the 4 sides which my marmosets have to reach in for treats. I change the location of where it is hung every so often, to help keep the marmosets from relying on it's location.

The treat cage - this is a wild bird suet block feeder cage. I put large food items in it, such as fruit & vegetables. I either attach the cage to the mesh of the aviary wall or hang it from the aviary roof. The marmosets have to gnaw bits of food through the cage mesh or use their fingers to pick bits of food out.

The plastic egg - this one is made from the plastic egg from inside a Kinder Egg. I cut a small-ish hole at one end of the plastic egg, then open the egg as it was intended to place food inside (nuts, grape, etc), then close it again. These can be placed inside the aviary, either on the floor or in a dish. The marmosets have to use their mouths/tongues or fingers to get food out of the hole.

Other ideas include:

The toilet roll tube - take a toilet roll tube, flatten both ends but in opposite directions (so one end is flattened horizontally & the other vertically). Fold the ends over to close off the ends. Cut 1 or 2 small holes in the sides of the toilet roll tube. Pop small food items inside the tube. Place on the aviary floor or hang from the aviary roof. The marmosets have to either chew their way into the tube or use their fingers to get the food.

The pop bottle - take a 2 litre plastic pop bottle. Remove packaging & wash the inside of the bottle out. Cut some small-ish holes along the sides of the bottle. Hang from the aviary roof horizontally. Take off the bottle lid & insert small food items inside (grapes, fruit & veg pieces, nuts, bugs). Replace the lid back on the bottle. The marmosets have to reach inside the holes to get food items out.

The hanging basket - buy an all-wire hanging basket from a garden centre. Hang inside the aviary. Place plenty of straw inside the basket/ Hide small pieces of vegetables, fruit & nuts in the straw, or release some live crickets or locusts into the straw. The marmosets have to forage around in the straw to find food. They especially love finding bugs in there.

The tyre - get a clean old car tyre & hang it inside the aviary from the roof. Place straw in the inside of the tyre. Hide food items in the straw. The marmosets have to forage about it the straw for their treats. I also use the smaller dog toy tyres, sold in pet shops for the same purpose.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hope you don't mind me asking here Colin

Does or has anyone used Palm Fruit extract as a treat for their small primates.

Neil
Ive only ever heard of it being used for birds Neil....

On saying that like weve discussed prior.

I read the formula for LORI NECTOR.. a few years back..

Took it up to Alistair and he had a look and said it would be benificial for them..

So we use lori necter regular..

Really shows a big difference on their coats etc...

And always in plenty when they are pregnant and feeding....

·
Registered
732 Posts
Tried ours on the Palm Nut extract last night.

They went crazy for it, have never seen them go for a food so avidly. Only gave them a small amount each to see if they were ok. Managed to rope everyone in with a bit on a teaspoon so we could monitor each marmie individually as to the amount it got.

The way they went for it I was thinking along the lines of the gum, ie placing in holes in branches etc for enrichment and hopefully a good supplement to the diet as it is a natural product and full of natural vits etc.

Will not be feeding it again for a few days though just to make sure they are ok and if everything is ok will only give as an occasional treat.

Neil

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Tried ours on the Palm Nut extract last night.

They went crazy for it, have never seen them go for a food so avidly. Only gave them a small amount each to see if they were ok. Managed to rope everyone in with a bit on a teaspoon so we could monitor each marmie individually as to the amount it got.

The way they went for it I was thinking along the lines of the gum, ie placing in holes in branches etc for enrichment and hopefully a good supplement to the diet as it is a natural product and full of natural vits etc.

Will not be feeding it again for a few days though just to make sure they are ok and if everything is ok will only give as an occasional treat.

Neil
Any chance you could mail me the formula Neil and whats in it..

Off the back.

Probably should have pm this but to late now.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Niel you thread-taker-off-topicer! :whip:

The only problem I can see with Palm Oil is that it is high in fat.

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol2:

Well I think Neil meant it on the subject of enrichment but it went in a nutrition direction instead...

Hold onto your seats and I'll split the thread :surrender:

-
-
I was only joking :lol2:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Niel you thread-taker-off-topicer! :whip:

The only problem I can see with Palm Oil is that it is high in fat.
Hi Colin

Hope you are both well.

Well I try :2thumb:

or is that '' I am trying '' :lol2:.

The fact that you are giving it as a treat will negate the fat problem. If given in a way they have to work for it will also help too.

If you drill holes into branches that they have to work at it just like the gum, you are not giving a large amount either.

Neil

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Colin

Hope you are both well.

Well I try :2thumb:

or is that '' I am trying '' :lol2:.

The fact that you are giving it as a treat will negate the fat problem. If given in a way they have to work for it will also help too.

If you drill holes into branches that they have to work at it just like the gum, you are not giving a large amount either.

Neil
Oh yes Neil, I agree, obviously Palm Oil shouldn't be given in such amounts that it becomes a problem, but it is certainly worth pointing out for others.

Pouchie, I don't think the thread splitting worked, as my original post from the Enrichment thread is on here :lol2:

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can buy the palm nuts as well ( whole )
I have no idea if monkies might like them or not.
I have tried my marmosets with whole palm nuts, & they seemd to have a good chomp on them.

I have also tried them with sugar cane. It is sold. like palm nuts.oil, for parrots, but I have seen primates being offered it on the Monkey World programme. I hung a piece of sugar cane in the aviary. They did have a nibble, but were not as keen as I thought they would have been. Anyone else tried their marmosets with sugar cane?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Read on a zoo site that maple syrup can be given as it was close to natural tree sap.
Maple syrup is the same sap.
From different source for humans..

Hence its full of sugar for our tastebuds..

Stick your finger in the marmie gum and taste..

Its deffo not sweet...

Then try the maple...

I wouldnt use it as a substitute due to the sugar....

Like using the juice from fruit to add to poridge(adds taste)

Wouldnt like to add syrup from fruit as sweet agian..

But thats an opinion and my choice...

Ive got a common that came from a newbie and the state of his teeth is bad..

They fed all fruits that began with T..

And i dont mean tangarine and tomatoe...

Tinned peaches,,Tinned pears,,ETC ETC...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts