126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm just setting up a new viv which is:-

4x18x18
To be heated with:-

Reptile Radiator (for 14hours) set to 29/30 deg C
12x16" Heatmat (24/7) set to 24 deg C

I have the mat stat probe set on the perspex false floor covering the heat mat, and the pulse stat probe about 3" from the base attached to the back of the viv.

I'm using a digi in/out thermometer, with the probe at the warm end.

Problem I'm getting is the thermometer probe, with being on the back of the viv, is reading a few degrees cooler than the above temps. I've moved the probe to check the temp on the mat to set the stat @ 24, but when I put it back on the wall it's reading about 2 degrees less.

Am i missing something, or should I just adjust my perception of the visible temps? (i.e. accept that when the thermometer reads '21', the actual mat temp is 24, and when it reads '26', the temp is 29).

Lighting is by LED so no extra heat from there. The viv is going to house a californian kingsnake.

Any thoughts? (on set up or probes???)

Thanks, Jason

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you're going by the temp settings on the stats dial, they can be very inaccurate.
Best ignore them and go by the reading on the thermometer.

The setup itself sound fine :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks Mark - you had more than a little input!!

I'm using the stat dials as a starting guide only, then trying to tune it with the thermometer, just getting a few variances depending on the position of the probe. :?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If you put the thermometer probe right next to (touching) the stat probe you'll get more of an idea how accurate the stat dial is, as they'll be taking the temp of exactly the same spot.

Not a problem if the stat dial isn't spot on - as long as you've got the thermometer to go by then no problem.

Not entirely sure what the ideal probe position would be for the radiator as I've never used them - but I'd have the probe hanging out from the wall a few inches into the viv, a few inches off the floor, directly under the radiator.
If the stat probe is right up against the back wall of the viv it may be sensing the viv wall temp (which may be cooler and acting as a heatsink) rather than the air temp in the viv.

Also, it's worth moving the thermometer sensor/probe around a bit to take the temp in different parts of the viv - the variations can be surprising!

·
Registered
234 Posts
other option; place the stat probe midway in the viv-

adjust the stat until it gives the appropriate temp at the hot end?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, will try those. At the moment got a stable 30 with the radiator on (and 24 at the cool end), and 23 with the heatmat on its own, so it's looking pretty good :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts