Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, how does this probe thing work? I mean what size is for what species and age and how can you find out?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
You just see what fits with what is all. Ive got a set of 3 perfect for colubrids. Got a tiny one for snakes of 4 weeks +, a medium one for snakes of a year + and a large one for about 2 years +.

·
Registered
632 Posts
you can usually tell what sizes to use judging by the snake your trying to probe. but if your not 100% on what your doing... don't do it!! you can cause so much damage!! for smaller snakes we tend to use animal urinary catheters (they r flexible and sterile) so perfect!

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Yeah must admit it is dangerous to do...had a lot of help the first time I did it... still need someone to hold the snake while I do it and if i feel something is going wrong I stop.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the thing is, there is no one here on Iceland that can do it (you guys let me know if you ever come here :lol: ) so what I have been dooing is I bought some teaching material from a veterinary collega and it has a video and step to step directions on how to probe, but since I can't buy them here and have to order over the internet (if I want to get it that is) and I didn't understand the sizes, I didn't want to order it, the snakes I have are Ball Pythons and Corn Snakes, so numbers made no sense to me :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts