Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to learn how to do both probing and popping, with hands on experience. (not just watching a youtube video and going at it) in the near future.

Are there any people around Grimsby, Lincolnshire who would be willing to demonstrate and teach me the ways?

Just thought it would be worth a shot asking around on here, as there are a few nice people willing to help one another.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would head to your local shop and see if they will teach you : victory:
Will give it a go at some point, will ask Jim or Graz at JC's in Lincoln if they'll go through it with me :2thumb: Just gotta figure when i can get down there lol

Thanks guys, and sometimes i really wish i didn't live here, nothing rep-wise about here..:devil:

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Most Reptile shops would be happy to show you :mf_dribble:
not all shops mate

one of my local reptile shops charge £5 for probing your snake if you take it into them

cheers shaun

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not all shops mate

one of my local reptile shops charge £5 for probing your snake if you take it into them

cheers shaun

Wow, that's a bit pricey..It can't be that hard to probe (once you know how) :devil:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm doing my work experience for my college course at new world exotics, now Jon is a good friend anyways, but I said I'd love to know how to pop and probe... next minute told to get a baby snake that sex wasn't known then shown how to do it..... and then told it was ny turn... few attempts and managed to do it the once, probing was interesting but easy!

However I was surprised when Jon said he'd learned how to do it from the internet!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm doing my work experience for my college course at new world exotics, now Jon is a good friend anyways, but I said I'd love to know how to pop and probe... next minute told to get a baby snake that sex wasn't known then shown how to do it..... and then told it was ny turn... few attempts and managed to do it the once, probing was interesting but easy!

However I was surprised when Jon said he'd learned how to do it from the internet!
Wow, that's pretty cool.
I'd much prefer probing, as i see it as a safer method, if done right.
So, what did you determine the baby snakes sex as then? lol

I guess a lot of people will learn from the internet, but i'm really not sure if i would like to risk it personally..

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Wow, that's pretty cool.
I'd much prefer probing, as i see it as a safer method, if done right.
So, what did you determine the baby snakes sex as then? lol

I guess a lot of people will learn from the internet, but i'm really not sure if i would like to risk it personally..
I picked a female first so Jon said that so I KNEW I was doing it right to then pick a definite male and finally got there but after was just bad luck however apparently now I'm having practices all week, so all good.

I will admit I was nervous about probing but he assured me as long as I'm gentle and twist as it keeps going in it will be fine! So I tried and could not word how it feels when you know its all the way in but you do lol

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I picked a female first so Jon said that so I KNEW I was doing it right to then pick a definite male and finally got there but after was just bad luck however apparently now I'm having practices all week, so all good.

I will admit I was nervous about probing but he assured me as long as I'm gentle and twist as it keeps going in it will be fine! So I tried and could not word how it feels when you know its all the way in but you do lol

Lol, atleast you're getting some good hands on experiance instead of just going for it without knowing for sure how to go about it. :2thumb:

·
Registered
346 Posts
i teached me self using the internet like and i have sexed tones of snakes with no probs like some of the snake can be harder to prob than others as they tense up and like the condas there not easy like so it would be best to have sumone to teach you in person and they will show you tricks as well with the harder ones to prob and poping is ok but you can never be 100% postive of the sex and another thing is it gets harder to pop older as well but some baby snakes you have to pop to get sex as to small for the probs like

1 - 16 of 16 Posts