Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i just looked into my red claws cage yesterday to see how it was and the peat substrate was covered in tiny little white things

anybody know what they maybe or if they are harmfull to my ickle pet?

ive removed her from the cage and placed her in a clean cage with a peice of kitchen roll on the floor just incase it is infected aswell.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Is it potting soil your using? if so i know someone who had the same trouble some years back, when my friend came to do a change in the tank before he put new soil in he put it in the microwave for a few mins to kill anything off that might be in there, worked a treat and know more problems:)

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
these are mites! ive been trying to get rid of the buggers from my snails etc. I use coco fibre and know its due to them on the animals - they good at spreading and are a pain. They can harm the animal over time especialy if they breed and overwhelm the animal- keep your eyes on my thread MITES as im hoping someone will give us some ideas. On my cockroaches they can be a pain and over time do kill them.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the substrait ive got down at the minute ment to be for reptiles and be treated.... im gonna try microwavign a new load this week as the scorp is in a temp cage at the mo and i havent seen any sign or the parasites in the new cage im happy to put her back in.

and for animalstorey. try using soming like flee spray remove your pets and every thing inside the cage then spray away leave it for a day or two and all should be fine. just remember to wash the cage down again before you put your animals back in...

also some mites etc. get in with the wood there fed ive had a mite infestation in the past that way cured it now and no troubles since then!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi
If you use potting soil, pop it in the microwave in a bowl with a little water.
The steam helps to sterilize the soil and prevents damage to the mictowaves magnatron.
Let it cool down before adding it to your enclosure as it may crack the glass, or as once happened to me, the plastic.
I would change the soil completely and clean the enclosure regurlarly to try and decrease their numbers.
I wouldnt sterilize the mites and put the soil back in as they will aid bacteria or mold to develope.

Hope it goes well.
Take care

·
Registered
383 Posts
as we all know the ol mites thrive an breed like crazy in humid environments so another 1 is 2 let the substrate dry out periodically an hold back on feedin the t 4 as long as possible... therefore the mites shall hav no sustanace an will die. worked for me. hope u get it sorted m8

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
dry it out, i wouldnt recommend using a pesticide at any point, no need and due to the close similarities to mites it could have serious consequences. Drying it out should be all thats needed, if not just change the substrate.. check your substrate too, i havent had a problem with coco-mulch. i used to get mushrooms growing in my old peat tank.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Best thing I have ever used are "Predatory mites". They eat nothing but other mites and rotting vegetation, without either they die off. Therefore are not harmful towards your animal, will eat anything that is feeding from your pet including the eggs, and die themselves after there is no food source left for it to survive on !!!! Total turnaround is approx 2 weeks though they only work in damp environments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts