Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone got any problem whatsover with there rep post it here and we'll hs not help try identify it and help it.
my PRB, his eyes aint goingdull before shed and also somtime sheds in 2 bits. whats the matter?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
What's the humidity in your rainbow boa's cage? That could be part of the problem if it's too dry...

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it ranges. 70-95. but i can only spray it once in mornings and a night. but put a damp towel on half the vents so ill see if that helps

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Chances are his eyes are going dull before shedding, you may have just missed it. The eyes cloud over for a while, and then clear again a couple of days before shedding.

Shedding in two pieces isn't much to worry about but as ssthisto said, the humidity is probably a bit too low.
You could either use a larger (wider) water bowl, move the water nearer the warm end or put a humid hide in there. You could also mist the viv a couple of times a day but better, and less hassle, to find another solution if you can.

Edit: oops, cross posted!

Chances are the tub isn't holding the humidity - is it a faunarium? If so, covering some of the ventilation will help, but it'd be better to use a tub (e.g. a really useful box) with vent holes drilled around the sides only.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
are you using a digital hygrometer? those cheap round dial ones are very unreliable and might be giving you a false reading.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
what substrate are you using and how deep??
id try a hide filled with sphagnum moss and deepen the substrate.
when you mist try turning the substrate over a bit aswell (it doesnt take long for surface mist to dry up, the humidity may only b high for an hour or two!!)
(sry cant remember the name of the stuff i use?? but its a shredded dark timbery stuff, (not bark chippings!!) it holds moisture very well and doesnt mold! ill try n find the name for you..

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
When my royal goes into shed i spray probably 3 - 4 times a day and also put sphagnum moss in a separate container she can get in as well as positioning some just in front of whichever hide she's in at the time. Needs to be re-moistened every day though. She also has some fake foliage in there which I rinse under the tap then put back in around the area. Since I've been doing that she's been shedding perfectly - we did have problems once as we have warm air conditioning which sucks all moisture out of any house.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
are you using a digital hygrometer? those cheap round dial ones are very unreliable and might be giving you a false reading.
Aint they just. One of mine fell into the water bowl, and still insisted the humidity was 70% just there!

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got a dial. it is at 95 at the mo:D which is probably correct.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
no its more than likely wrong? get a digital one and i think you will be supprised at the difference, you can get a decent digital Thermometer/Hygrometer for £20 from cornishcrispa.co.uk.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
no its more than likely wrong? get a digital one and i think you will be supprised at the difference, you can get a decent digital Thermometer/Hygrometer for £20 from cornishcrispa.co.uk.
True - when I switched I discovered the dial one was up to 10 degrees out!! You can get them very cheaply off ebay - I have used and recommend cornishcrispa but have used others too and they read exactly the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts