Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have reserved a 2 yr old leopard gecko at a local shop...very nice tame and looking well until i noticed what looked like poo coming from his bum,,turned out it wasnt.
he was left there this week to see what happened and ive phoned and spoken to them and they said hed had a prolapse...now they r telling me he is fine and all is ok...but as this has happened and i wanted to get him a girlfriend does this now mean that;
1) hes not a good buy even if i had him on his own?
2) hed be no good with a girl as it may happen again
3) could be infection building up if he didnt see a vet

it sounds harsh but idont want to pay for him bring him home and he be poorly..unless im ready for it.

thanks in advance for help...i have to phone back tom to talk to them so all help would be gr8 :D :D

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
to be honest i would'nt buy a thing from a shop that left one of it's animals a week like that to see what would happen :evil: prolapses can be dealt with easily by vet, but by leaving it would have probably introduced infection plus once had prolapse every chance of doing it again...things like this make me so angry, poor little bugger...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i thought...it was noticed at the time but had gone dry and hard...im not knocking the shop,they have been good to me with all ibve got from them....i just wanted to make sure that to leave him there is the best idea?
i would glady take him but means i cnt get another to go with him and would have liked to do that.
in a bit of a pickle really.....lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
I know its a difficult one, on one hand you want to take it home so that you know it will be well looked after, but on the other hand doing that is exactly why pet shops leave animals, cause someone will buy them and deal with the problem for them

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if they took the welfare of animal seriously then theyd let me have him and give him a good home...but i know they wont...but will phone tom and see what the say..cant hurt to ask now can it?? :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prolapse in gecko

What type of prolapse was it, was the geckos hemipenes sticking out and that is what was left out for a week and dried up or was it the animals internal organs hemipenes are sexual organs and if dried up and not seen by a vet the animal may not be able to breed (infections may set in afterwards).
If it was the intestine that had prolapsed DO NOT BUY you will get majour problems especially if dried up.

Ask the reptile shop 1. what condition the animal is in ?
2. Has the animal deficated in the past few days and what condition was the fecal matter ?
3. Has the animal eaten in the past 3-4 days and how many crickets ?

See what they say to these questions and then decide BUT personally i would not touch it
SORRY FOR BAD NEWS (tell them you'll take it from them as they should not be selling it as defective goods) :wink:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive spoken to the shop today and they said that hes fine..but to leave him at shop another week just to make sure.
they said it happened because hed eaten a lot of the sand they had him on and that that was all that came out of him the day either b4 or after i cant remember which. they are also saying they cant be sure it wont happen again....but r still willing to charge me the same price and if i dont have him they dont mind as they will still put him up for the same price and sell to someone else.
ive said i will see in a weeks time what hes like....but i doubt very much if i will take him now,sad but i cant afford to take one thats going to be bad.....if a pet i have is ill then it goes to the vet but i dont want to pay for this one and then take str8 to the vet for nice bill..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Don't blame you,they shouldn't be selling it in the first place or charge cost price only for it.I would stay away if i were you cos you will end up with vet bills coming out your ears

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they have changed the substrate he was on and is now on vark...but he hasnt seen a vet i know that! if i could take him iwould just to make sure if it happends again he gets to see a vet.
theyr also just blameing the sand..that he ate some and couldnt poo properly..all that came out was sand. is this true?
will now need to find somewhere else i can get some geckos from...wont be getting them from in there

can anyone suggest anywhere thats good? maybe not too far from me of that will deliever? i really would like a chocolate albino and another to go with it..not sure what tho!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts