Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,

When I first got my leo I was convinced that she just didnt like mealworms as they remained untouched.

However, now shes eating normally and has been for a few months, shes at the point where she will come out as soon as the food goes in and eat ALL of it within seconds.

Im currently feeding her 3 (4th)hoppers a day on the advice of the shop where I got her, she has a fat-ass tail on her so theres no danger shes underweight.

As a slightly cheaper solution than upping the amount of hoppers every day, Im thinking I may put 5 or so mealworms in a dish each day too as a kind of "supplement" Would this be detrimental in any way?

Also Ive heard the horror stories about them nibbling away at her once eaten? Is this a load of crap? Im thinking so...! I was once told u have to squash their heads with tweezers before feeding to stop this. Is someone removing the michael from me?:lol2:

·
Registered
656 Posts
all rumours to me
i did loads of research into the live foods for my geckos, and theres no real risk at all with mealworms.

put them in a small dish (not too tall) and hopefully she will be interested.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Some people feed their leos soley on mealworms, so no, there's no harm in offering her mealworms and locusts! :)

And yep, I'm afraid the michael has well and truly been removed ;) It's a myth, and you don't need to crush the mealworms heads.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
There's a lot of mealie myths and them being able to eat there way back out is rubbish. Of course they can bite whilst being eaten as they have mouths so that's why. There fatty though as almost all worms are

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I count out mealies for the girls, dust then put them in a dish for them to help themselves... they also have crickets in the afternoon whilst i'm in the rep room.

they will stop eating when they get full, Mealies i don't think are that fattening... its waxies that shouldn't be fed that often :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yep it's a myth about mealies eating away at the insides of your leo. Crushing every head would take ages and my leo wouldn't be interested in the mealies if they wont wriggling around anyway. So you'll be ok feeding them alive. Also mixing up the live food is a good idea so a mix of locusts and mealies like your doing is great. :2thumb:

·
Registered
231 Posts
All of my leos live on a diet made up of only mealies and they are well, healthy and always come out to investigate when the newest batch of food arrives.

I always find that if you place them in the smallet clear RUB, that gives the leos the best chance of seeing into the container but shallow enough to enable eating without struggle

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
our leo won't eat anything else but mealies and she loves them and i don't think they are particually fattening that's defiantly more waxies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.