Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after getting rid of those pesky worms, the poop returned to normal for a bit I switched over to a higher quality wet food (she was having supermarket own brand) I miixed it 50-50 with the store stuff (I always bulk her food with kitten kibble as well) and she's back to runny poop. I lowered the content of the richer wet food and finally stopped it, and still runny poop. It's not as bad as it first was at least.....

I have some of the vet stuff left over and plan on starting that again. (not the worming though I still have some of that as well) and cutting back on that wet food she gets.

The vet flea treatment didn't work so she still has fleas but I have some kitten frontline to use in a week or so once she's over a 1kg (shes 920g last weigh in)

We also brought her a cheep 'velvet' collar, which she had an allergic reaction to, irritated her skin, rubbed of the fur and left a blooded rash within 3 or so days. (thats now binned) with the magic of sudocream its now healed, and the fur is starting to grow back. (The collar was a little loose rather than too tight)

could she be allergic to the food or something?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Well after getting rid of those pesky worms, the poop returned to normal for a bit I switched over to a higher quality wet food (she was having supermarket own brand) I miixed it 50-50 with the store stuff (I always bulk her food with kitten kibble as well) and she's back to runny poop. I lowered the content of the richer wet food and finally stopped it, and still runny poop. It's not as bad as it first was at least.....

I have some of the vet stuff left over and plan on starting that again. (not the worming though I still have some of that as well) and cutting back on that wet food she gets.

The vet flea treatment didn't work so she still has fleas but I have some kitten frontline to use in a week or so once she's over a 1kg (shes 920g last weigh in)

We also brought her a cheep 'velvet' collar, which she had an allergic reaction to, irritated her skin, rubbed of the fur and left a blooded rash within 3 or so days. (thats now binned) with the magic of sudocream its now healed, and the fur is starting to grow back. (The collar was a little loose rather than too tight)

could she be allergic to the food or something?

To stop the running feces i would stop the runny food, switch to a dry complete kitten food, much better quality there is nothing but rubbish in wet food these days.
or a raw diet
flea treatment takes a couple of weeks, to kill off the adults but they can no longer reproduce.
as for the collar doesn't sound like allergic reaction more an irritation from not being used to something around their neck.
also do be careful sudo cream it can be quite deadly to animals, its ok in small quantities for the odd occasion but not for long periods of time.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
The only wet food I ever fed my young kittens was Felix kitten and I never had a reaction to that. If the higher quality wet food you are giving her is Whiskas, that causes diarrhoea in a lot of cats and I would never feed it.

So were you mixing the higher quality wet food with the supermarket wet food 50-50? I'm wondering why you did that if the supermarket food was upsetting her stomach???

I agree with Rogue, just give her a good quality dried kitten food and see how she gets on with that for now.

Have you sprayed the house , cos if that's the case then the flea cycle will still be stopped and they will eventually go.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If I were you I'd switch her to a hypo complete dry food, science plan and james wellbeloved are good brands, also meowing heads can be good for a funny tummy, the food sounds too rich so I'd just stop the wet completely. What dry food are you feeding at the moment?

I wouldn't put anything else flea wise on her until the first one runs out, you can risk overdose, and also have you sprayed the house? Fleas only jump on the animal to feed, the rest of the time they are in your carpets, skirting boards etc, so make sure you get a good quality spray that kills eggs and larvae as well, other wise you'll end up spraying your house every week while the flea's are hatching!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only wet food I ever fed my young kittens was Felix kitten and I never had a reaction to that. If the higher quality wet food you are giving her is Whiskas, that causes diarrhoea in a lot of cats and I would never feed it.

So were you mixing the higher quality wet food with the supermarket wet food 50-50? I'm wondering why you did that if the supermarket food was upsetting her stomach???

I agree with Rogue, just give her a good quality dried kitten food and see how she gets on with that for now.

Have you sprayed the house , cos if that's the case then the flea cycle will still be stopped and they will eventually go.
no I'm not feeding whiskas (hate the stuff) it is 'Bozita Kitten' it's supposed to be 90% meat.

The supermarket stuff wasn't giving her the runs before I started mixing it with the new wet foods.

She was scratching at it a fair bit...
we only applied small amounts of the sudocream and we made a makeshift collar out of kitchen-roll and electrical tape to protect the wound and so she couldn't lick it. The make shift collar didn't really bother her at all, no scratching or such.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured out the problem - the fleas have reinfected her with tapeworms. :devil:
Luckly I still have some pancur left over from last time.

she's had her frontline treatment tonight as well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you keep switching her food she is going to have an upset stomach pick a good quality like burns or James wellbeloved and stick to it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Regarding fleas:

Once you have an infestation it takes a *minimum* of 3 months to be rid of them because of the life cycle going on around the house. Sometimes it can take several months longer to be thoroughly rid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts