Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Pumpkin, out new kitten. (we where given her free...)

She's eight/nine weeks old, the runt of a premature litter and apparently mum cat weaned of the kittens at about six weeks old.

We got her on Friday, She has fleas (which we are dealing with, with baths in weak fairly liquid water, a nit comb and tweasers - we have removed 30-40 so far!) She also had worms (which is being treated with Pancur)

She also has horrible, horrible, diarrhea, so she's on a chicken/rice/scrambled egg only diet (with kitten milk) Her bum is sore and swollen and we have to clean it after every poop as her backside/legs get covered in it.

She weighs an 'amazing' 570grams.

If the bad poop doesn't go in a few days We'll take her to the vet. She's eating, drinking, sleeping and playing as normal.

Any advice on how to make her bum less sore/swollen? I've used a little sugar water, which has helped a little. Any other advice on how to help her in general/home remedies? We don't want to stress her out by taking her to the vet unless we really have too.

her falling asleep next to a friend who came around for kitten cuddles:

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what would a vet do for runny poop though?
it's possibly a combination of the worms and food change that is causing it - she doesn't poop much at once/that often.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
what would a vet do for runny poop though?
it's possibly a combination of the worms and food change that is causing it - she doesn't poop much at once/that often.
Well if shes got a bacterial infection she needs meds. Also the vet can monitor her glucose and fluid levels easier than you can. I would be concerned if she was my kitten tbh

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
bathing her is not going to work, it is not going to get rid of the fleas and it is just going ruin the oils on her coat that keep her warm/cool
she needs to see a vet to get proper flea and worm treatment (over the counter worm treatments do not work fully)
She should never of left her mum (idiot people who decided to give her away + breed their cat in the first place)
she needs medication to stop the diarrhea and fluids for what she has lost through the diarrhea.
she needs to see a vet.

Other than that she's a darl and real adorable.
remember to get her spayed......don't need more litters like hers

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
She's an extremely pretty girl! :flrt:

first of all please stop the baths, Rogue is right, that's going to do nothing about the fleas, but it's going to stress her and stress causes diarrhoea.

She's too young to be away from her mother, so the stress of a new home will almost guarantee that she will get diarrhoea, most kittens do when they go to a new home, unless they are older and more independent. Mum cats do not wean their kittens at 6 weeks - sorry that's a load of tosh. They start to teach independence and correct behaviour at that age, but there's a huge difference. No kitten should leave its mother and siblings before the age of at least 10 weeks, 12-13 is much better and that's the general rule that pedigree cat breeders breed by and our kittens are so confident and outgoing that they rarely get diarrhoea when they go into a new home.

Go out and buy a good quality house spray such as Staykill, Acclaim or RIP Fleas which will protect your home for 12 months. Continue to pick any fleas you see off her and leave her alone. Just spray the house and that will stop the cycle without subjecting her to anything.

If it was me I'd drop the milk, kitten milk or not it isn't necessary, she's better on water and I agree, I'd still have her at the vet for a diagnosis in case it's a bacterial infection, such as campylobacter or salmonella, or worse a parasite such as giardia. Try to take a fresh sample of the diarrhoea with you so that the vet can get it tested.

The problem with kittens is that they overdo things. When they dig in a litter tray they dig to Australia :lol: and when they poo they push so hard they can burst blood vessels in the anus, so I'm not surprised her bum is sore.

Poor little girl! :sad:

ETA: I've just seen your signature and that you have reps. If the reps are in the area where the kittens goes, then you can't use the sprays I've recommended, you'll have to buy a rep safe one, which is "Flee" (used to be Skoosh) which works by covering the fleas, eggs, larvae, pupae in a sort of 'plastic' coating to prevent them moving onto the next stage, but that doesn't last anywhere near as long.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got a vet appointment booked at 1:20 today - I'll see about getting some suitable flea treatment there as well.

I was recommended pancur by a few breeders, and being Iv'e seen dead worms in her poop, I figured it must be working?

Trust me mum was hardly around, every-time we went to visit and they where feeding the kittens on any ol' adult cat food.

She had diarrhoea for at least a week before we got her....

The woman just wanted rid of the litter as they where and 'accident' (though they let uneautered females/males outside all the time :bash:)

No cats are allowed in the bedroom/rep-room. I'm technically allergic to cats.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
The woman just wanted rid of the litter as they where and 'accident' (though they let uneautered females/males outside all the time :bash:)
I figured that and I wasn't blaming you for taking her so young, just saying that her age would make her stress more easily than an older kitten and stress bring diarrhoea.

Hope you got on OK at the vets.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the vets gave us some kitten friendly flea treatment - some stronger worming stuff, and something thing to ease the diarrhea.

The vet was very cross about the state that she had been given to us in, but wasn't concerned about her being too small/underweight.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
A vet wouldn't be - they see nothing wrong with kittens leaving their mum at 8 weeks, but then most of them don't breed cats. their training is in medicine and physical problems, not so much mental and behavioural problems.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She did say she was small for her age, but didn't think it will be a problem she did agree that she shouldn't have left mum just yet though.

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
In 20 years of breeding cats, I never had a run, because I firmly believe if you look after the mother properly and feed her high protein food during pregnancy then you get a good litter.

My smallest kitten was a singleton and his mum found him pretty boring to look after and dragged him into our bed and dumped him every night (lol) He didn't thrive like all our other kittens because he wasn't stimulating enough milk flow on his own, so I started topping him up when he was a week old as I was worried about his growth. He remained the lowest weight kitten we'd ever produced until he was about 6 months old and then he grew and ended up the biggest cat in the household.

No reason to assume that Pumpkin won't end up a good size girl if you feed her right. Once the diarrhoea has settled down, wean her onto high protein kitten food and I'm sure she'll be fine! :2thumb:

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They didn't even know mum was pregnant - Apparently she showed no signs they just came downstairs to find her with three tiny kittens (and one still born)
Poor mum was underweight when we saw her. (we visited a few times before getting her)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
First off what a cute kitty and I can see why you chose the name Pumpkin lol. :flrt:

And well done for taking her in when you knew what it would involve and did you know the person who gave it to you? Sounds like they need reporting for animal cruelty.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First off what a cute kitty and I can see why you chose the name Pumpkin lol. :flrt:

And well done for taking her in when you knew what it would involve and did you know the person who gave it to you? Sounds like they need reporting for animal cruelty.
We got her from a house down a road not far from us.

They look after a lot of strays and things as well, they have the best intentions but don't always go the right way about it. I'm angry at them in some-ways but I'm understanding in others.

Most of their other kittens found (hopefully) good homes as I helped advertised them, as they even said they where struggling with that many cats about (They had kittens from two previous litters (from other mums) about as well). They are at least getting all the cats they officially own spayed now.

They owe us money still as well :whip:

Sadly our old rescue cat yeti (who we took of the street near-death last December) had to be put down today -Luckly pumpkin only saw her for a few days and won't really miss the grumpy old kitty that didn't want to play. :lol2:
But seriously though I'm heart broken my pretty old kitty is gone. :(

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
Totally irresponsible idiots - poor bloody cats! I really hope they do get them all spayed! :bash:

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the treatment is starting to work -she was riddled with worms poor thing.

She's also sneezing a lot and has weepy eyes (ever since we got her) - So I'm assuming some sort of cat cold? Still eating/drinking/playing fine.

·
Registered
19,844 Posts
Well the treatment is starting to work -she was riddled with worms poor thing.

She's also sneezing a lot and has weepy eyes (ever since we got her) - So I'm assuming some sort of cat cold? Still eating/drinking/playing fine.
Sounds like she has a respiratory infection or even cat flu. Did you ask the vet about it?

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
It'll be one of the cat flus, very common in cats in general but rife in the 'moggie' community because of the high interaction between cats.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts