Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had my puppies done and to my surprise it now consists of three jabs at 8,10 and 16 weeks.The 16 week is a further jab for parvo,is this the norm now?

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
News to me, but then i havent had a pup for 5 years!

Parvo needs to be administered sooner rather than later.

Marina:)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
parvo

I haven't had a pup for 5 years either,it was news to me.They still get the earlier parvo one,this is an extra one.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I've just had my pups second jabs - they didn't mention anything regarding a third? Just "see you next year!"

·
Registered
876 Posts
Must just be your vet practice...Some have different routines now as to what outbreak of something is...if that even makes sence...made sence to me :D It can only be a good thing though...parvo is a really nasty thing to ever encounter!! x

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
parvo

she said parvo is on the rise and the first jab isn't always effective as the pups own anti bodies given from the mother may interfere.I'm just curious really,obviously you put your faith in what the vet says .I hadn't come across it previously.It cost £55 for the course,I don't know if thats the usual sort of amount?Again it doesn't matter as such,I've paid up and shut up but wondered about it when I got home.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
I would trust your vet to a degree as well but yes i would have asked as well as some vets are not as trustworthy and some will leak you dry financially by playing on your guilt as an owner.

Marina:)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cost

yes it was £55 for the three,is that the normal sort of price?I'm having all three jabs done anyway.It does make you wonder sometimes if everything is needed.I've got the hills science food,wormer and flea treatment from the vets.The food was very expensive although they do like it.Then there is the concern of over treating with medicines/vaccines

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Cass's last year was only 2 jabs, and I paid £55 for his whole puppy pack - 2 x injections, Drontol wormer x2, frontline, microchip, £10 off future neutering (which I've just redeemed) and a big bag of goodies.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bits and bobs from the vet

Cass's last year was only 2 jabs, and I paid £55 for his whole puppy pack - 2 x injections, Drontol wormer x2, frontline, microchip, £10 off future neutering (which I've just redeemed) and a big bag of goodies.
Yours sounds good value.I've paid for everything seperately and the micro chipping is a further £16.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
yes it was £55 for the three,is that the normal sort of price?I'm having all three jabs done anyway.It does make you wonder sometimes if everything is needed.I've got the hills science food,wormer and flea treatment from the vets.The food was very expensive although they do like it.Then there is the concern of over treating with medicines/vaccines
Simple solution - Titer tests. ;) TITER TEST

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
id try find another supplier for your food as i think vets charge a fortune for it i dont think £55 is to bad i have def heard of worse vets can greatly vary

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have just had our pup vaccinated. Two jabs, £40. I think the price differs between practices. Not heard of an extra jab being needed but I don't think it would hurt.

I do agree with what Marina said though, vets do play on your caring side and try to get you to buy all of their recommended foods etc..

I would choose your own food, do abit of research and decide how much you want to pay. Hills is very expensive. You don't have to believe everything the vet says as gospel. My vet told me our dogs were very healthy, teeth great, coats great, weight great etc.. when asked what I feed them he frowned and told me that I was basically doing the dogs no favours.. He tried to get me to buy the Hills and I told him I didn't agree with the price mark up and the food that I give ours is practically the same at half the price. I pointed out that he had said our dogs were healthy and that if the food was so bad that it would show. So, do your own research and decide what YOU want to feed them. There is abit of rubbish out there, it is easy to compare foods online, then decide on one. If you can find something that suits you and your dogs then you'll all be happy :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
the price is about standard i think (depending on the area you live in) and the 2/3 jab thing will be the vaccine manufacturer recommendation, especially since it looks like parvo is on the increase again.
different vets will use different manufacturers

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
vaccines

the price is about standard i think (depending on the area you live in) and the 2/3 jab thing will be the vaccine manufacturer recommendation, especially since it looks like parvo is on the increase again.
different vets will use different manufacturers
I see.I'm having the course done but leaning more towards the titer testing for my adult dogs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts