Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone wo keeps or breeds these advise me..

we want to get a zoozone2 but would lke a wheel and a castle hide and all the bits..

also what else do they like to play with...

i just want to make sure everything is perfect for our hedgie when he arrives

xx

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
i have lil cat balls that rattle when they are pushed but they seem to prefer their wheels

have the flying saucer ones for mine lol can hear them go all hell for hella on them at night they need to be washed daily though as they do most of thier pooping on the wheels :lol2:

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
Mine is in aNero 4 with corkbark hollow logs, a bridge, balls and of course the wheel(a mobile toilet me thinks) Elvis isnt noisey on his but he looks furious when you catch him on it and huffs and puffs.My cats are terrified of him as I swear when I have him out he purposely runs at them and stabs:lol2:. You have to watch there weight Elv loves food and even when hes grumpy he still wants to eat. I have never even noticed a smell off his cage either which surprises me as the Native Hogs we care for at The Sanctuary are smelly little gits Hey Emma I couldnt put that much food in with Elv as he would eat the lot in 1 go he really is a greedy little sod:lol2: Anyways Hedgies are great fun

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
LOL shell mine just pick at stuff and usually have a lil left the following day :lol2:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
ha ha PMSL at that.

i have toys in with my hog, ball with a bell in, and lots of squeeky soft toys like for babys but hes not intrested lol :D the only thing that he does love is his wheel. Plays all night on that.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI GIRLIES

does the flying saucer wheel have to be attached to metal bars or is it stand alone in the cage :)

i just bought a large one... hoping i got the right thing...

and a play tube thing too..

where do you get the castle hide things anyone know??

also what type of water dispenser is best to put in a zoozone2 cage cheers :)

·
Registered
25,693 Posts
Use a bottle for sure... if you use any sort of water dish I can guarantee it will be tipped over or full of substrate the next day, they are pretty active and tend to dig and snuffle around and the water would be gross pretty quickly. All of mine will drink from a standard rodent water bottle from about 4-5 weeks.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Use a bottle for sure... if you use any sort of water dish I can guarantee it will be tipped over or full of substrate the next day, they are pretty active and tend to dig and snuffle around and the water would be gross pretty quickly. All of mine will drink from a standard rodent water bottle from about 4-5 weeks.

thanks christy..

what type of substrate have you found is best so far ???

were trying to find something 100% suitable and easily accesable... we have a large pets at home near us but im not sure if they do anything that wont harm the hedgehogs...

wil need to look at all their products today..

if that fails would aspen or aubiose work..

also do you use the little corner litter trays for them.. and if so what litter works best..

sorry for all the questons id just like to get some opinions from the forum as the caresheets say different things.. thanks xxxx

·
Pets are a luxury!!!
28,359 Posts
I use hemp bedding (but not sure I like it)for threequarters of the cage and for the last quarter I use cat litter(wood pellets) I then put the wheel at this end and it works a treat.Most of the mess is made on or near the wheel.Elvis doesnt toilet anywhere else.I spot clean and wash his wheel daily.Mine is just a large freestanding solid wheel. I have never found Elv to smell at all.Also I use an open ceramic water bowl and he never gets bits in it.When you buy your Hedgie do check it knows how to use a bottle and if not provide a dish as well

·
Registered
25,693 Posts
I use wood based cat litter and then towels for the rest. They each have 2 towels that they snuggle up in - these are pretty easy to get washed, ad they never poop in the towel anyway. The flying saucer wheels I give with my babies are standalone things they don't clip on anywhere and are solid so there's no chance of accidents with feet etc.. but they will use it as a little tray. Mine are pretty good with the wood based bottom of choosing a corner or spot to go to the bathroom and keeping to it.

I've used aspen/auboise as a bedding before and it just got too wet as it was keeping moist but not really "absorbing" the liquid properly, and the smell was noticeable whereas on the wood based and towels washed regular, I have not noticed any smell at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts