Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all what would be the best substrate for a Royal Python, I'm considering getting bark chips but which ones beech or what. What would be best around humidity etc., :?:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
If you go with bark use orchid bark as that will hold the humidity up well.... Personally I don't like the dark colour so I use aspen. Best substrate that i've found for snakes no question at all....

If the snake is very small though make sure none of the substrate gets stuck to his food when your feeding him... If you feed in the viv' just put some newspaper down first - job done!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Agree... never had any probs with Aspen, as long as you take care when feeding to ensure your snake doesn't accidently munch any.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input. I suppose it's a bit difficult as I don't have my royal yet and I want to get an adult. Until then I won't really know he's feeding habits ie if he'll feed outside the viv, which is what I was planning to do. I've read that feeding outside is better as then there's less likelihood of them striking at your hand when you go into pick them up, mistaking your hand for food :lol:

I have thought about repti carpet. Anyone got any thoughts on that? I thought if I had two pieces one to wash and one in viv scenario.

A lot of people say not to have bark or substrate at all and just use newspaper but I don't think i'd like the look of that.

I also thought it best for the snake to have proper substrate to aid in the shedding process.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
As long as they have a rough object to use whilst shedding they don't need a substrate technically....

As I said my personal opinion would be to always go with aspen, i just don't like bark. Repti-carpet is good stuff... easy to clean and you don't have to worry about substrate getting picked up by your royal. Its all down to personal choice.

I feed mine inside the viv and have aspen.. Not had any problems yet *touch wood!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I dont keep royals and considering I dont like them probably never will! But for humidity lovers I use orchid bark, as it means I dont have to spray all the time (I use this with the FWC.)
Aspen is much nicer stuff and easier to clean, but I found it too much hassle constantly trying to keep the humidity up on it. In fairness royals dont need quite the same humidity as FWCs so Im sure they would be fine on aspen.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I've found that if you keep the humidity to high on the royals you get bad sheds... Its like the skin becomes to soft and breaks to easy.

On aspen one quick spray each morning does the trick nicely!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Wish the FWC was that easy :lol:
Shes tims problem for now (haha) but she basically spends all day sat in the waterbowl and waiting for you to spray her :roll:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
My Royal Is On Childrens Playing Bark From BnQ, 6 Pounds for a 100 letre bag thingy. Just treat in bath (wash) or oven, or even freeze in freezer.

I think it goes perfect for royals, as there jungle like anyway. Much more natural. I had him on ASPEN, but that was more desert.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've just bought some aspen from a guy on ebay so will try that out first but I still like the sound of the bark. Didn't think of children's play bark though so will keep that in mind.

By the way if it's being treated in oven to kill nasties what temperature does anyone know that it should be put on?

I've nearly got all the extras that I need then it will be saving the dosh to get my boy. Just ordered a mini temp gun today so I can keep an eye on the temps all through the viv, so won't be relying just on the min man thermometer.

Cheers everyone for all the input on this thread as usual you've all been a mine of information :2thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gonna show my stupid side again with this question. I take it you are using a heat mat as I have really daft visions of a water bowl floating over a heat bulb :lol2:

G

·
Gonna show my stupid side again with this question. I take it you are using a heat mat as I have really daft visions of a water bowl floating over a heat bulb :lol2:
:Na_Na_Na_Na: haha....i have magic levitating waterbowls...how jealous are you lol

no....i mean on the heatmat :yeahright:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all well today I got my ceramic so have put everything in viv as it will be for when I get my royal. I haven't put the ceramic on yet or any water in the water bowl and have fixed the thermostat probe and min/max sensor to the back of the viv just off center (as seen in pic). Without any heat or water in viv the temps are reading - hot end 74.7 cool end 72.3 with humidity of 54.

My question is what temp do I set my thermostat at with the probe placed where it is and what temps should the viv be? Also is that humidity high and how do I lower it if it is?

God I'm always finding more questions to ask:lol2:

By the way what do you guys think of the viv set up, do you think the new fella (when I get him) will like his home?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
humdity of 54 is ok! most say have it around 60%... Also run your ceramic and set the stat so you get a 92-94 hot spot under the ceramic... Your cool end should then drop to 80-85...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts