Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys is there a special way of measuring glass for your vivs ? so u can lift it in and out of the runners . My father built me one and even the glazier we got got it wrong

·
Registered
991 Posts
the runners at the top should be bigger than those at the bottom so................mesure from the top of the top runner (where it meets the wood) to the top of the bottom runner and -3mm

that should do it :wink:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You'd still get the glass about 1mm or so too big measuring that way because you'd be including the thickness of the base of the top runner.

I use a metal ruler, and measure from the highest point INSIDE the top runner, down to the top of the lower runners, then subtract 1mm to allow a bit of space.
Best to measure at 3 or 4 points along the runners and get the glass cut to the largest possible - doesn't matter if they only go in at one end of the runners as long as they move freely.

If it's still tight you can safely shave/file a mm or so off of the top of the bottom runners - if you do it on the inside and middle dividers it'll still look ok from the outside.

Or you can wedge a length of wood between floor and ceiling about halfway down the viv to give a couple of mm space when you put the glass in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts