Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Not usually in this section, but I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of advice..................I've been given an unwanted Roborovski hamster that I was told must be kept alone (apparently his cage mate died). Now, from reading up this hammie is social and should be kept in at least pairs.

So my question is: should I try to introduce another male to this little one? I have no idea how much of his history is correct, but he is such a lovely little fella that I find it difficult to believe that he was the reason for his cage mates death - which may not even be the case, since all I was told was that the cage mate died. I've been told he is 11 weeks old, in case that helps.....

Any advice on this little fella is welcome, as I'm a noob to Robos!

·
Registered
425 Posts
try the hamster fanatic forum they are lovely and very knowledgable on hamsters.
i too have a single robo, he was brain damaged at birth and has a few problems so he cant live with others as they pick on him. he seems perfectly happy on his own and he has a cage full of toys to play with.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice - I'll check that site now. Did wonder why no one was replying to what I thought was a fairly common pet!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
my mum passed us a male pair that my cousin could no longer keep and one actually ATE the other one while we were away for the weekend (mum in feeding all the animals everyday). had eaten half his face and could see skull/ribs etc was horrid! maybe i was just unlucky with the cannibal hamster!:lol2:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ooo, that doesn't sound good! I know this little one has been on his own for near 5 weeks now, so maybe it's too late for an introduction?? It's just he seems so nervous (though have only had him in my care a couple of days, so still settling in), and I think he would be less so with a bonded cage mate. Has anyone tried this? And what were your experiences?

·
Registered
943 Posts
my mum passed us a male pair that my cousin could no longer keep and one actually ATE the other one while we were away for the weekend (mum in feeding all the animals everyday). had eaten half his face and could see skull/ribs etc was horrid! maybe i was just unlucky with the cannibal hamster!:lol2:
this happened to me too

·
Registered
602 Posts
i brought two robo males and was told that they are best in pairs after a couple of days one had taken a lump out of the other.they were seperated and now live happily apart.so i think your little one will be fine.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i had a pair... one killed the other, in my opinion and it is only my opinion they do fine alone, my boy that was left (hammible) lived happily alone for another year and died of old age at 2 and a half

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 2 of thes little guys. Both living seperately and both seem very happy and have lots of toys to keep them busy. I rehomed them as individuals a year apart one male and one female so woud never intro them. I think after a few weeks old it is advised not to intro pairs as they generally will fight.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, this is the same as what has been said on the hamster forum. So looks like this little one will be alone (I've stitched him a little hamster shaped 'friend').

Thanks for getting back to me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts