Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i havnt been posting much, if at all on here because iv been getting my own forum up and running.

I have a quick question...Im looking into getting an iggy and iv found a local one which i would like but it is kept in a small glass fish tank, see below. Thought to be a fully grown male and is 3yrs old and 3ft i would have thought it more likely female. Bearing in mind im willing to put up with mood swings in breeding seasons, pay for all electricity bills, vet bils etc and i have the time for him.
If i got him i would like it to free roam in my bed/reptile room as i never sleep in there although there is a bed and tv and stereo which will all be goin apart from the bed. Here goes my two question:
1. Will he get territorial being moved from a small to a large space?
2.My vivarium setup is pictured below, thats what im worried about, having my boas viv on the floor with a roaming iggy around, although the glass is 6mm toughened would he be ok with that viv being there? He is said to be very docile and tame and loves cuddles.

This is the iggy

These are my vivs. (my room is a bit of a mess atm due to the bathroom being done so the door leaning on the vivs etc will all be gone.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
:shock: I don't know enough about Igs to be of any use to you I'm afraid.... but I just had to say that I hope to god you are able to take the poor thing!! Is it currently kept in that tank all the time??? No wonder it likes coming out for cuddles!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rescue reptiles and i have to totally agree about the size of that tank! And yes that is its permanant tank! I am willing to give up my room for the poor thing but im a bit worried bout my boas viv and him endig up territorial which i wouldnt have thought he would but i always value other peoples opinions.

I dont even think he can turn around in that tank!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
please help that poor iggy not only is that tank way to small the iggy doesnt look in the best of conditions at all.
the iggy and snake should be ok as long as the snake doesnt get out :D
manda xx

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks lizard lover. When i first saw that on freeads i jus sat there and stared at it! I almost cried, i was guna go straight u there knock the bloke out and run off with it lol. Its only a few mins down the road but all i was worried about really was the iggy managing to smash the glass of the snakes viv although it is toughened. The boa wont get out, i cant even open the doors on the viv coz they are a tad 2 big but they open with a bit of a tug, so no way the snake wil get out or the iggy get in unles he smashes it. Hes asking £250 for the iggy and viv which in my opinion is way 2 much seeing as the viv is no use, the iggy isnt in the best health and you can pick up an iggy for free if you look in the right places but i would rather pay £250 and giv him a loving home 4 life.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i think you should go ahead however he should have a viv he can go into when u handle ur snakes and ur hole room would need heating but that poor iggie deserves all that cos that is a terible site
dan

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I dont really know much about iggys but that poor creature in that small tank ...well Im lost for words. Id be tempted to take it myself even if it was only until I found it a new caring home. Our bosc free roams my daughters bedroom, even when shes in there sleeping with no problems at all.

Let us know how you get on. Maxine. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Maxine.

With 4 vivs in my room it stays at a temp of around 80 anyway but i have some spotlights above my bed so that can be the basking end and il jus have guards on the radiators and have them on aswel. Also i would have to get another UV setup.

I dont handle my animals in my room i take them downstairs so the only prob i would have is gettin them out while hes in the room. But im sure i could get someone to hold him or take him out.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
We have three green iguanas that free roam the house. and we have an agama viv in the main room they dont seem to care about that they just like to get a nice high spot to bask and generally only move from the baskng spot to eat poo or cool down. It all depends on the temperment of the iguana in queston as to whether it wll free roam well and it will need to settle in first as well so there may be a few errors along the way. iguanas can also be potty trained with alot of time and patience, as long as the room in general doesnt get too cold and they have a few basking spots i cannot see a problem just keep electricals out of their way as we have had a keyboard an poo accident in the past. but it would be nice to have basking "Safe spot" for him as well espcially as he has been stuck in such a small viv for god knows how long, a nice viv open all the time with a light in it or a closed in area with glass doors so you can lock him in if you ever need to or you have there incase he gets far to stressed with the freeroamng set up. Oh and with the freeroamers we have i use powersuns for heating and uv and soon moving over to mega rays.

EDIT: iguanas will pull anything down thats in the way so for all your bit and bobs i recommend cupboarding them they will pull down books glasses cds anything that moves basically thats in their way so keep the room mnmalistic if you can, if you saw our house you would laugh we have nothing except the necesstes out no ornaments nothing and all of our fabric or sofas are covered in throw overs for lttle accidents. And to start with (f you are concerned) with the vivs and snakes cover the doors in newspaper for a while and gradually remove the paper so the iguana gets used to the snake as it settles, with our rehomes we found the first week was the whippy week for them and then they settled down very quickly once the got used to their new surroundings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
holy crap.. anything would be better than that viv its in at the moment. lizard litter, and in a viv thats too small even for a beardie.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks LouLou. Iv got sloped cielings at either end of my bedroom as you may be able to see from the pics. I have a spotlight on on of the slopes so it sits just above the bed but not close enough for him to get to and it gets hot over my whole bed so that would be a basking spot. Also at the end of my room (where my tv was in 1 of the pics) there is a little recess bit which i could always block off and he would be fine in there for a little while as its about 5x3 by the height of my cieling. Also i would set up shelves for him to sit on with a basking light over it so he has several spots. Its jus gettin the money together as im unemployed atm but got an interview wed so hopefully that works out well its only at tescos so cant really go wrong lol.

Thanks guys this is a great forum u got here!

Any more tips, experiences etc would stil be appreciated :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry Mark i was writing when u posted that. Im with u on that too im desperate to help him out!!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Good luck wth the interview and i hope he goes to you it will be heaven compaired to that viv :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks loulou :D. Its jus persuading my mum coz i got a lot of reps already and she loves them but its gettin past the persuading her to say yes bit lol. just read ur edit loulou. The newspapers a gd idea i think id do that. Also as i said i dont live in the room only occasionally sleep in there so there is nothing apart from vivs and cupboars which he can wreck if he wants coz they old anyway. Oh and a few shoes but i can move them.

Is it ok to sleep in there wiv himroaming if hes tame. I noticed someone (cnt remember name sorry) said their daughter sleeps in with their bosc.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
We dont have problems with the iggys here they fall asleep about 7ish and thats it you cant wake them for food or othing after that until you turn the lights back on in the morning. oh and ones not what would call tame but she still freeroams the house she just avoids us and chills in her own area bobbing occasionally and what not,

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Yes that was me. Her bosc sleeps under her bad at night with heat mats under a quilt for him whilst shes in bed. He also has basking lamps coming off the wall for daytime use. A small garden area made from a upturned bookcase and 2 waterpools made from my little boys old baby bath and a very large cat litter try, Ones for him to submerge himself in and relax the others for poohing in, though he has done the odd pooh under her bed :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
awww bless lol.

Thanks for your help. Now its jus the arrangement thats the hard bit. So any kind words that may sway my mum to say yes to a free roaming iggy in my room would be appreciated lol (not that shes sadi no yet, im sure i can get round it)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
should sway anyone with a heart. Thats how i got my last beardie, shes only got 3 legs and half a tail and seeing her is what worked. So maybe the same method wil work this time :lol: worth a go and god hope she says yes coz that really isnt a nice sight!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mean what can go wrong???She doesnt come in my room anyway and if she needs to come in and is not to keen il just put him in the old viv he comes with for a few minutes until she goes out again.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts