Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
In a word... No!

When you know the exact husbandry requirement fir your snake and they have been met your snake will happily eat unless it's breeding season where it will likely go on a fast.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
not really hard... but pretty scary. saying that, i wouldn't want to pick a fight with a royal in feeding mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so why do i hear from so many people they are hard to feed and go off their food? and can in fact die of starvation because of this?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
i think people expect snakes to eat every week on "feed day" when in reality most species of snake will go through fasting periods, when breeding, if its too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry there are so many factors that affect them so they are designed to go long periods without food, if you know this and your royal doesn't feed for a 9mths or whatever, as long as it doesn't lose a lot of weight and looks healthy, then you shouldn't worry and it will eat when its ready.
It is rare to have a non feeding royal, only one that fasts occasionally i.m.o they aren't problem feeders really only worried owners!!!

Reactions: Fionab

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
Not really, most of mine feed regularly and as long as you are aware that they can fast at times it ceases to be a problem.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
i have never heard of a royal dying of starvation....... perhaps dying of something underlying that caused a fast but not from just fasting.......

Royals are not fussy they just know what they like! , it is part of their natural make up to fast for a certain part of the year, some fast for long periods some merely miss a couple of feeds, but once you get it through your head that your snake WILL fast at some point and WILL start eating when its ready then its a lot easier to deal with. I have a male that eats for 5 months of the year then stops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is it a good first time snake? seen corn snakes today and they are too fast and strike too quick. the reptile shop recommended the royal because they are placid and easy to keep. is this true? thankyou for all your advice and help

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
so why do i hear from so many people they are hard to feed and go off their food? and can in fact die of starvation because of this?
Generally its people who havnt got the husbandry correct. They can die of starvation (stress-induced anorexia), but the name speaks for itself. If the snake is stressed, it wont eat. If the husbandry is incorrect, the snake will be stressed....

Working in a rep shop, i see more non feeding or picky bearded dragons then i do royal pythons. You probably hear alot about it, because royals are a very common snake, and have been for a very long time (since the 70-80s i think!), plus word of mouth.

The other main cause of the myth is panicky owners not understanding a royals behaviour. They do fast during the winter (6-8 months is common) and for new owners, it can be a cause of great stress and worry. Buts its all part of natural royal behaviour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
feed little and often? can someone tell me what they actually thrive on? we have been told basic viv with heat mat and basking light/ceramic unit without uv. bark substrate. feeding an adult a large mouse every week.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
not really hard... but pretty scary. saying that, i wouldn't want to pick a fight with a royal in feeding mode.
Scary... Even the mist aggressive Royals I've seen are teddy bears lol. Even if a royal bites its hardly life threatening lol. A retic, burm or blood whose pissed now thats fun!

Op, Royals make awesome first snakes and are ridiculously easy to care for. There's plenty of info about husbandry on the caresheet section so have a read, get everything set up then bring Monty home.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou Abs, really looking forward to owning one, but feeling a bit daunted by things we have heard about these beautiful creatures

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Thankyou Abs, really looking forward to owning one, but feeling a bit daunted by things we have heard about these beautiful creatures
There's a wealth of information on here, have a read and enjoy. To be honest I don't see many snakes as difficult to keep. Husbandry isnt rocket science and handling is down to time, consistency and confidence.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

Nah, royals really aren't as bad as they seem from reading forum posts.

Just get the enclosure right in terms of temp range and humidity and security and 99 times out of 100 you will be golden.

dr del

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
feed little and often? can someone tell me what they actually thrive on? we have been told basic viv with heat mat and basking light/ceramic unit without uv. bark substrate. feeding an adult a large mouse every week.
Basic viv with overhead heat source, thermostat, water bowl and hides. You can pretty it up if you like but the snake won't care :) if you've got a ceramic you don't need a mat as well - in fact I wouldn't recommend mats for heavy snakes like royals because the weight of the snake lying on the mat can cause thermal blocking (the heat can't escape and can build up under the snake and burn its belly). People who breed royals and keep lots of them often keep them in RUBs for convenience but if you've only got the one I would say a 3ft viv would be fine for an adult male, my big girl is in a 4ft viv and she does use the space as she often cruises round at night.

When she was a baby she used to feed reliably most weeks but now she is adult I only feed her once a month or so on a medium rat. A small mouse would be like a jaffa cake to an adult royal :lol2: she usually has 2 fast periods a year - between May and August and again between December and Feb which is the breeding season.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have 12 Royals and only a couple are fussy feeders. A few Royals I've had needed a while to adjust to their new home before they feel safe to start feeding, but patience pays off!

I think Royals are a great Starter snake! I personally started with a Corn but my 2nd was a Royal and he was an amazing feeder from the off!

Hatchlings can have problems getting going with feeding. I'm struggling with a couple at the moment but I there are a few tricks to try with fussy/stubborn ones that you can use to entice them.

I say go for it! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts