Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question about vinyl tile over the heat mat in the wooden vivarium.

i have used it for a while no probs i dont take the backing paper of or what ever its called:lol2: as i would not be able to get the tile off with out it being hard as will be stuck on. just a little question.

does the stuff under the vinyl tile give of any thing bad for the snake when the heat mat warms it up you no that stuff not sure what its called the stuff that stick the tile down ? if not then all good. if so will use a different type of tile: victory:

·
Registered
467 Posts
why do you use a tile at all?

I have kept snakes in wooden vivs since the 80's and always had mats in the vivs by themselves (connected to stats) and never had problems
As long as the water bowl is at the cool end it's fine , if you are worried about electrocution just put some sillicone round the wire connection.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I wouldn't trust whatever type of glue/sticky stuff it is. Regardless of whether you've removed the backing or not, the heat may well cause some nasty fumes to build up.

If you really want to cover your heat mat use a slate or ceramic tile, sheet of perspex, or as stated above, just silicone over the connector part of it. The mat itself is waterproof - the connector is the only dodgy part if water is spilt on it.

I only have a mat in one viv and it has a small slate tile over the connector. The water tray is right at the opposite end of the viv and propped by some sturdy rocks too, so not very likely to be knocked over.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
why do you use a tile at all?

I have kept snakes in wooden vivs since the 80's and always had mats in the vivs by themselves (connected to stats) and never had problems
As long as the water bowl is at the cool end it's fine , if you are worried about electrocution just put some sillicone round the wire connection.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't trust whatever type of glue/sticky stuff it is. Regardless of whether you've removed the backing or not, the heat may well cause some nasty fumes to build up.

If you really want to cover your heat mat use a slate or ceramic tile, sheet of perspex, or as stated above, just silicone over the connector part of it. The mat itself is waterproof - the connector is the only dodgy part if water is spilt on it.

I only have a mat in one viv and it has a small slate tile over the connector. The water tray is right at the opposite end of the viv and propped by some sturdy rocks too, so not very likely to be knocked over.
thanks: victory: slate or ceramin tile then i will use thanks: victory:

·
Registered
193 Posts
you can get scrap lino from hardware stores which will cover it. you can get it without sticky stuff on the underside and theres no fumes when it gets hot. i got enough for a 4 ft viv for a fiver so u wont have problems cost wise.
: victory:
rob

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can get scrap lino from hardware stores which will cover it. you can get it without sticky stuff on the underside and theres no fumes when it gets hot. i got enough for a 4 ft viv for a fiver so u wont have problems cost wise.
: victory:
rob

thanks what place has them for sale b + q ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
pretty much anywhere that sells flooring will have cut offs they want rid of. or you could tell them you want a sample :whistling2: b+q are gd, also homebase or any other local place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts