Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. We got a new adult redfoot yesterday. We have read up as much as we can but wanted advice from people with hands on experience of keeping these torts. Can anyone post me up a good care sheet for diet etc... as we are used to keeping leopards. So far he has munched his way through anything we have given him but he seems to like bananas. We have fed him some special tort pellets and he has been grazing a little in the garden. He has a warm viv with a water tray in there and we keep the doors open so he has the run of the room and can go in and out as he pleases. he is doing fine i just like everything to be perfect for my reps so any advice from you buys would be great. Here are a few pics of him scoffing when we got him home. he is a right pig, LOL

And here is a pic of our two leos although they are a bit bigger now

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi

Congratulations on your new redfoot! How big is he?

I'd say to avoid banana, they do love it, but the potassium is high. Rare treat in general. Pellets, I don't bother but some people do. Most who do use it use it as a kind of supplement or for the protein. Other proteins are plain cooked ckicken breast or pinkies/rat pups (mine love these) but stick to small amounts.

I'd chect the shelled warriors or TPG caresheets for other feeding ideas. (I don't know what leopards eat!). Roughly 70% leafy stuff and 30% fruit though I stick to mostly leaves and fruit now and again. The love pretty much any red fruit and also mushrooms and pears. I'm sure you know all this from your reading.

Nice to see he is settling in, I'd lay off the pellets till you are sure he'll eat the normal green stuff!

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:welcome: to the forum!!

Congratulations on your new guy - he's certainly very handsome!

I dont keep Redfoots myself but I'd say to stick to the advice from BlazingTortoise and you wont go far wrong. Personally I don't use pelets for any of mine either.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome.: victory:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone can post up a list of what they feed their red foots it would be great. he is 6 years old and quite big, i have just given him a tablespoon of cat meat and he gobbled that down. I wont feed him any more banana as i have read its too high in sugar.

Post up a list of things for me to feed him and how often, quantity etc...

Thanx

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes, any of the safe weeds are fine. I think some online suppliers do weed seed mixes with redfoots in mind if you want to grow your own. Romaine can be used also red leaved lettuce. I'd have a look at the tortoise trusts winter feeding guide as well. Obvioulsy they should have mosly green leafy stuff but also some fruit. Fruits depends on whats on offer for me, but you'll soon work out what he likes. Just got some kiwis reduced at the shop - now just have to wait a week for them to ripen :whistling2:. You can vary the fruit a lot depending whats around. Dandelions are an easy one to try and theres loads about at the moment. Did the previous owner suggest anything?

·
Registered
15,421 Posts
Pellets are ok for red-Foots. My 2 reds get pellets a couple of times a week. They get soaked cat biscuits about every 3 weeks. The rest of made up of weeds, veg & fruit.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i dont know whether its just settling in but it has gone off its food over the last couple of days. We have today put top soil down in the bottom of the enclosure to try to keep humidity up but its hard with the setup we are using. We have a big viv on the rep room floor with one side open so he can go in and out as he pleases and this is what we was told would be good for him. He has the whole room to roam about in however we are finding it near impossible to get any humidity and heat to stay in the viv as one of the doors is slid open. Any ideas? We gave him and apple chopped up today, he had a few bites but he hasnt touched any greenery we have given him at all.

Do you think he just needs to be given time as he is 6 and a big boy.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Bigger torts do seem to take longer to settle. Persevere with the greens, try florette crispy mix or any salad mix that doesn't have spinach or iceberg. Or maybe romaine lettuce, I'd go with a mix that had red bits in. Provides a variety till you can see what leaves he will eat. You have also probably filled him up with the pellets and cat meat. A few days of not eating is fine as long as he is healthy otherwise. What substrate are you using? I use a mix of course orchid bark and top soil/peat moss (peat moss is preferred as adding water to soil = mud!). You could adapt the door so theres just a tortoise sized gap to get through. Eventually make it into a flap (If he will go for it) and he could come and go as he pleased. You don't need the whole door open, just enough. You could slide the door back till theres enough room and block off the top portion to keep the heat in. It does depend how quickly (if he does) work out that he can go for a warm when he wants or have a wander when he wants. Mine go outdoors when its nice but can come back in the house and under their heat lamp. A couple of them pop in and out, another just sits in the garden getting cold.

I'd concentrate on the temperature issue rather than humidity at the moment as low temps may be partly to blame for not eating. They don't mind lower humidity as adults, as I suppose in the wild, they would be big enough to be more in the grassland habitat than scabbling about the undergrowth as tinies.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am using damp top soil. The temps in the viv are a nice 85 to 90 right through when the doors are closed its just keeping the heat when the door comes open. My rep room is quite warm anyway with the rest of the heaters in there. I agree he is probably settling in but we will keep an eye on him for the next week. Trouble is we have had him 3 days and he hasnt done a poo yet.

Dont read the next bit if you dont want to know about its toilet troubles, lol

Well i had it out earlier on the floor and it trumped. I said to my wife, what was that? and i looked down and it was doing a massive wee on the floor but as of yet, no poo. It sounded like it had a lot of wind. I dont know how often they do it as my leopards are only small but are like poo factories. Other than that he seems fine.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Might be an idea to give him a bath - one of mine doesn't 'go' as often as the others but he does tend to like a nice big poo in the bath!!! :lol2:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Not seeing poo is not a great worry as they do eat it. He could well have done one and had it for tea. They will often poo in a warm water bath if you want to be reassured. Also they seem more likely to poo if they are about to do something e.g. I put them on the lawn for a wander and they will poo before going off exploring. He'll probably take to pooing on the rep room floor rather than muckying his viv. They do a definate tail swish after pooing/weeing and are also likely to to it when they are eating. The hatchlings certainly do, must be making room for more!

You definatly want a tortoise hatch rather than the full door being open. He'll use a smaller space. Might have to make it obvious such as black tape along the bottom so when theres an open bit that bit doesn't have the tape and he knows where to head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts