Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know how you dust them in calcium because calcium doesnt stick to them and when i put calcium on mealworms a few hours later they end up dead or stop moving

·
Registered
166 Posts
when i feed me leos mealworms i always put them in a bag with some calcium powder and shake them up then put them in a small rounded dish with a bit extra calcium powder so when they get a mealworm they get a little extra calcium powder

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for a quick reply

·
Registered
456 Posts
Good question! Better give you a civilised answer before the lizard police start moaning about feeding mealies as a staple!

I tend to use a feed bowl with calcium in and just chuck the mealies in. Give it a shake and it seems to coat them well. My leos are such gannits that they're gone within the hour anyway!

And just to let you know, my leos have always been fed a staple of mealies and they are fine, happy and healthy.

Don't let the lizard police on here tell you otherwise (Have a look at the thread where the guy asked about trendy lizards and you can see the lizard police in action - moaning gits!)

·
Registered
166 Posts
lol lizard police made me smile, i agree though i have always fed my leos mealworms as a staple and they are big and healthy:2thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:lol2: im not moaning i just wanted to know what other people did =P

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
cricket dust tends to stick to them better as its designed to stick to the smooth exoskeleton of insects give that a go or give them extra calcium in a bowl or wet the mealies slightly before dusting them that tends to work pretty well.(dnt use mealies as a staple just a few small bowls a week as a treat, coz my lizards are supposed to be herbivores. i should call them wormivoires with the way they devour the mealies :lol2:)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
:lol2: im not moaning i just wanted to know what other people did =P
noo i didnt mean you were i meant that i didnt think other people will object to mealies as a staple cause most people do it cause its a whoel lot cheaper than locusts .. which is what i use now and im gonna change again cause my god im skint after buying 200

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I just put my mealies or morios in a bowl with some calcium and give them a bit of a shake and it sticks fine.
If properly gut loaded and the husbandry is spot on ie heat, I don't see a problem with using worms for lizards.
But thats MY opinion before I am lynched!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Same here, a small bowl of mealies and some dust, shake it and put it in. The dust will stick and they will roll around in it. If they need calcium, we always keep a small pot of that in there aswell, they love to lick it

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Good question! Better give you a civilised answer before the lizard police start moaning about feeding mealies as a staple!
you'll find that a lot of breeders use mealies as a staple diet anyway :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Don't let the lizard police on here tell you otherwise (Have a look at the thread where the guy asked about trendy lizards and you can see the lizard police in action - moaning gits!)
well for some of us 'moaning gits' trendy and fashionable are terms we get hit with from some people when they're looking for the next un-researched 'fashion statement' to big themselves up with before another must-have 'fashion trend' hits and the 'old' gets turfed out. :whistling2:

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
Just stick the mealies in your dish/bowl of choice, with a sprinkle of calcium (plus your mixed nutrients twice a week as well don`t forget) and twirl, rattle and shake - plennty of the stuff should stick them. What`s left over in the bowl will be nibbled on by the mealies, and when your leo shoves their mouth into the bowl, they`ll also collect a fair amount on their mouths that they`ll lick off. If your mealies are dying because of the calcium (drying up), then that suggests that you`re using far too much calcium really.

And there`s no such thing as `lizard police` on here - granted there`s a tendency by a select few to jump on whatever bandwagon is trendy at the time (note the trendy link - impressive or what?!), but the vast majority only have reps best interests at heart. What a lot of regulars and mainstays of the forum do notice though, is that there are definite trends with regards to certain reps - especially certain leo morphs at the expense of previously `in demand` ones. But I suppose once someone gets serious about their reps, animals or collections, then trends don`t even come into it - just lovely additions, endless possibilities and wonderful, exciting compliments to already existing collections (in other words, getting excited about the enhancements to a particular rep - not excited about a particular rep because of the enhancements). Trends come and go - genuine ppls commitment, dedication and actual desire to improve or enhance their collections doesn`t.

Anyhow, my high horse has bolted on that matter ;) With regards mealies, I personally couldn`t advocate them highly enough - clean, easy to handle/feed, provide a steady supply of food to a leo, don`t jump, barely climb, excellent proportions of fat/energy/protein and nutrients (the Wayne Rooney of the food world - the all-rounder), cheap, longlasting, readily available, no noise etc, etc... the difference between leos that are fed on a staple of mealies to those fed almost exclusively on other food items is remarkable (plus, mealies don`t carry as many parasites as crickets et all potentially do). Yep, add the odd locust, cricket, waxie - whatever - to mix things up a bit and to invigorate your leos, and the extra also help provide slightly different nutrients and possible fibrous stuffs that mealies may be slightly lacking in (in comparison). Oh, and the old `eat their way of a stomach` is as plausable as Ibrahimovic being worth Samuel Eto`o plus £40 million (it`s just absurd).

·
Registered
683 Posts
Can i ask what you gutload the mealies with please?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Basically the greens/veg I give to my BD's to eat is what I feed the mealies/morios/crix and locusts with.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Have you tried Reptiluxe it sticks to any thing

1 - 16 of 16 Posts