Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this mite sound like a stupid question but when you buy a corn or a king as a baby is it ok to keep them in the plastic tank with a heat mat because i have some people saying yes some people saying no what do you guys think?ive got my 9 month california king in one at the min he seems really happy eats and sheds fine so i can't see a problem with it but oviously just after xmas im going to get him a 2ft viv because hes getting quite big. and does anyone know how to see on a king wheather its male or female?

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
yeah, in my opinion its fine, as long as its stat'ed, thats exactly whats in a rack system, obviously some people are anti racks

As for the sexing, like other species, probing is the surest way of sexing a snake, though you can sometimes tell from tail length/shape, but thats not something i would totally rely on:2thumb:

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
A tub is fine as long as it has all the things a viv would - ie. adequate space for the size of the snake, correct heating and a heat gradient, water, hiding places, and so forth... at the end of the day, a vivarium is just a wooden box with glass, if your plastic box does the same job it really shouldn't make a difference, as long as the size is good and the heating is controlled and correct.

As for sexing at 9 months you will probably need to get him/her probed by someone experienced, ask your local reptile shop if they do it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see this is the thing the people who i got it off just had a heat mat, and the hides etc... no thermostat but the snake seems so happy eats and sheds well too

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
A thermostat isn't a great expense and will give you peace of mind. You'll also be able to transfer the thermostat to your vivarium when you get one - and in a vivarium, you really do want one, because the heat mat will be inside it with the snake, as opposed to underneath.

Just think how you would feel if the heat mat malfunctioned or there was a really sunny hot day and the temps went too high and your snake died (which has happened, and would happen if temperatures soared for whatever reason)... how would you feel that your snake suffered and died for the sake of a £20 thermostat?

To me it's just not worth that risk, have a good think about how you'd feel - it is possible, is it worth the risk for £20?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
true id defently have a thermostat in my viv no matter what. the thrmostats in my local pet shop are like 50 pound for the dimmer 1's is that the thermostat i need?

·
Registered
25,692 Posts
You just need a basic mat stat, can pick them up for £20-25 at most stores.. if your local doesn't stock them, shop online :) Dimmers are more for lighting systems.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but i could use that ministat 300 right?so what about when he gets bigger and needs to go in a viv what thermostat i use then?the heat mat one?and then put the heat mat in the viv?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thnaks for the advice ill get a mat stat 300 asap o by the way what temp would you say i need it on when i get it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts