Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
I have some questions concerning fire skinks, as I am considering them for a future reptile pet along with Pacman frogs and leopard geckos.
So, the first of my questions is concerning lighting: It's my understanding that a fire skink requires a very hot basking spot and an additional UVB bulb. Would a ReptiSun 5.0 compact fluorescent bulb coupled with a Repti Basking Spot lamp mounted onto a thirty-gallon long enclosure provide this? Or should I use different bulbs?
Second question: Does fire skink prey need to be gut loaded and/or dusted? If so, can someone point me in the right direction concerning scheduling and what specific gut loads to use? And, on a similar note, are strawberries and blueberries an acceptable part of their vegetable diet?
Third and final question: Do you find it important to purchase fire skinks captive-bred, or do they do alright wild-caught? Or does it depend on the store?
Anyways, all advice is appreciated! Hope to hear from everyone soon. Oh, and one last thing: will the answers to these questions also go for other skink species, namely the blue tongue skink? I'm also considering them, but they seem to be significantly pricier, so it's not as likely that I would get one. Thanks again!

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
Hello all!
I have some questions concerning fire skinks, as I am considering them for a future reptile pet along with Pacman frogs and leopard geckos.
So, the first of my questions is concerning lighting: It's my understanding that a fire skink requires a very hot basking spot and an additional UVB bulb. Would a ReptiSun 5.0 compact fluorescent bulb coupled with a Repti Basking Spot lamp mounted onto a thirty-gallon long enclosure provide this? Or should I use different bulbs?
Second question: Does fire skink prey need to be gut loaded and/or dusted? If so, can someone point me in the right direction concerning scheduling and what specific gut loads to use? And, on a similar note, are strawberries and blueberries an acceptable part of their vegetable diet?
Third and final question: Do you find it important to purchase fire skinks captive-bred, or do they do alright wild-caught? Or does it depend on the store?
Anyways, all advice is appreciated! Hope to hear from everyone soon. Oh, and one last thing: will the answers to these questions also go for other skink species, namely the blue tongue skink? I'm also considering them, but they seem to be significantly pricier, so it's not as likely that I would get one. Thanks again!
I have kept one. Judging by how I kept mine:

I would recommend a 10-12% UV tube, & a 100w basking lamp for a 100f hot spot.
It is indeed best to gut load or dust the bugs. I dust them with VetArk Nutrobal.
Mine wouldn't eat any fruit or veg, only bugs.
WC or CB both do fine in a viv, but CB are best, as WC might have internal parasites.
Most tropical forest skinks require the same care as fire skinks, but BTS need bigger vivs & a more omnivorous diet.
For a fire skink you'll need a loose substrate at least a couple of inches deep- they bury themselves a lot, & you might only see it in the morning & late afternoon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It is indeed best to gut load or dust the bugs. I dust them with VetArk Nutrobal.
WC or CB both do fine in a viv, but CB are best, as WC might have internal parasites.
Most tropical forest skinks require the same care as fire skinks, but BTS need bigger vivs & a more omnivorous diet.
For a fire skink you'll need a loose substrate at least a couple of inches deep- they bury themselves a lot, & you might only see it in the morning & late afternoon.
All good to know! I assume it was just personal preference that made your skink dislike fruit?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Does anyone else have any different advice or is this pretty good? Also, what brand would you recommend for the bulbs. The ones that I know of are zoo med, zilla, Arcadia, and I think that Exo Terra does them as well...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a D3 Desert 15w 18” tube by Arcadia and a 50w deep heat projector be a good combo for UVB and basking, respectively? Or are they overkill? Or not enough? Or too expensive? So many questions!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can anyone’s else give me some info on whether or not the two Arcadia bulbs would work for a fire skink enclosure? I ask because I would like to see if there are cheaper options that would still, which would decrease yearly costs, or if they won’t work and I will need to use something else. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Arcadia are the way to go. Zoo med are good too. Wilks as usual is giving good advice. Mine also never touch fruit unless I fooled them into it! They did however like Banana Cream Pie by Repashy!!

In my opinion 100f is to hot, especially if you are unable to create a good temperature gradient. Mine spend most there time in the zones which are about 70-75f. That's not to say they don't use or need a hotspot.

I have some for sale at the moment if you are interested.

Reactions: ReptileQuestions

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Arcadia are the way to go. Zoo med are good too. Wilks as usual is giving good advice. Mine also never touch fruit unless I fooled them into it! They did however like Banana Cream Pie by Repashy!!

In my opinion 100f is to hot, especially if you are unable to create a good temperature gradient. Mine spend most there time in the zones which are about 70-75f. That's not to say they don't use or need a hotspot.

I have some for sale at the moment if you are interested.
I am located in Canada, so I don’t think that you would be able to ship them over, but thanks for the other advice. I will look into banana cream pie!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts