Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I fell in love in animals, especially reptiles since I was a kid. For about three years I was collecting information about monitors. I have been reading some books, searching on the net or talking with breeders... But I still have got some questions.
I am finally decided to purchase a monitor for myself, but I am not decided which one is the best for me. I am thinking about V. Exanthematicus, V. Albigularis, V. Cumingi and V. Panoptes. Price of the animal is not important for me, because I want to make the best possible deal for me, so I am able to pay more, if its needed.
So... Since V. Exanthematicus is one of the most popular monitor I dont have questions about this species.
I've read multiple articles describing V. Cumingi and I know that it is large monitor from Philippines which has a lot in common with V. Salvator. But my question is about its size. Some people say that it is smaller than V. Salvator, some say that they are quite the same. If V. Cumingi has the same temperament as V. Salvator, its more "compact" and has better (in my opinion) colors, so why it is such rare monitor? To be honest V. Salvator I think is too big for me, so I am looking for something smaller.
About V. Panoptes I know that in trade is only V. Panoptes Horni which comes from New Guinea. I think that it is the best monitor for me if it goes about size. Its smaller than water or blackthroat monitor, but bigger than savannah. But I dont know much about its temperament. Because its gonna be my first monitor, I am not looking for difficult one to handle.
So... last one to ask is my favourite one - V. Albigularis.
I know that this species is "divided" We've got blackthroats and whitethroats.
I am interested in differences between those two. I heard that blackthorats are bigger and they are a bit more tolerant. I am asking about it because I really like V. albigularis and I am almost decided to get one. But when I see some videos, for example Dave Durham's blackthroat I think that.. Its enormous :gasp:. Maybe too big for me, so... I hope whitethroat would be suitable for me.
To conclude I am fascinated in monitors for several years and finally I think that I am ready to get one. There are so many great monitor species, but I can have only one, so I would like to make the best possible choice.
My the most important questions are:
differences between V. Salvator and V. Cumingi (especially size)?
temperament of V. Panoptes Horni?
differences between blackthroat monitors and whitethroat? In general, cause I am the most interested in this one.
Sorry for maybe some language mistakes. I live in Poland, I asked the same questions on some polish forum but I didnt get good enough answers. Thank you in advance for any replies. Greetings! :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi everyone!
I fell in love in animals, especially reptiles since I was a kid. For about three years I was collecting information about monitors. I have been reading some books, searching on the net or talking with breeders... But I still have got some questions.
I am finally decided to purchase a monitor for myself, but I am not decided which one is the best for me. I am thinking about V. Exanthematicus, V. Albigularis, V. Cumingi and V. Panoptes. Price of the animal is not important for me, because I want to make the best possible deal for me, so I am able to pay more, if its needed.
So... Since V. Exanthematicus is one of the most popular monitor I dont have questions about this species.
I've read multiple articles describing V. Cumingi and I know that it is large monitor from Philippines which has a lot in common with V. Salvator. But my question is about its size. Some people say that it is smaller than V. Salvator, some say that they are quite the same. If V. Cumingi has the same temperament as V. Salvator, its more "compact" and has better (in my opinion) colors, so why it is such rare monitor? To be honest V. Salvator I think is too big for me, so I am looking for something smaller.
About V. Panoptes I know that in trade is only V. Panoptes Horni which comes from New Guinea. I think that it is the best monitor for me if it goes about size. Its smaller than water or blackthroat monitor, but bigger than savannah. But I dont know much about its temperament. Because its gonna be my first monitor, I am not looking for difficult one to handle.
So... last one to ask is my favourite one - V. Albigularis.
I know that this species is "divided" We've got blackthroats and whitethroats.
I am interested in differences between those two. I heard that blackthorats are bigger and they are a bit more tolerant. I am asking about it because I really like V. albigularis and I am almost decided to get one. But when I see some videos, for example Dave Durham's blackthroat I think that.. Its enormous :gasp:. Maybe too big for me, so... I hope whitethroat would be suitable for me.
To conclude I am fascinated in monitors for several years and finally I think that I am ready to get one. There are so many great monitor species, but I can have only one, so I would like to make the best possible choice.
My the most important questions are:
differences between V. Salvator and V. Cumingi (especially size)?
temperament of V. Panoptes Horni?
differences between blackthroat monitors and whitethroat? In general, cause I am the most interested in this one.
Sorry for maybe some language mistakes. I live in Poland, I asked the same questions on some polish forum but I didnt get good enough answers. Thank you in advance for any replies. Greetings! :D
I cant help you much with the other species but i do own a V. Panoptes Bruce.

He is around 3 and a half foot long and eats about £100 worth of Rats and other food a month. Loves digging, has 2 foot of soil to dig in, climbing and being a general pain in my ass whenever im trying to do anything in his viv, which is 12ftx8ftx6ft.

To address your actual question about temperament he is a very aggressive guy and has a very powerful feed response which can be intimidating, he has very powerful legs with long razor sharp claws and a ferocious bite. He can be grumpy and does not particularly like being handled. When I first saw him in the shop he was very aggressive towards anyone and tried lunging at people and biting all the time, however i believe part of this was due to incorrect housing, since he has been with me he has calmed down hugely with me but it has taken an awful lot of work, i have spent hours and hours in his viv just sat with him talking to him, basically getting him used to me, and now he is mostly calm with me, however he really does not like anyone else and will often hiss and start whipping his tail, which is also very powerful, if they come to close he will even lunge at them. Having said that he is not very aggressive towards me and has never lunged/ tried to bite me, I can get away with stroking him, no one else aha. As for handling he is not very easy to handle and requires patience and a tough skin, he will wriggle and scrabble with his legs causing sometimes deep scratches which often bleed, and then even when he is not being difficult those claws still hurt just from him gripping you or just standing they are long and sharp aha. I am lucky i think as like i have mentioned he has never tried to bite me but i know that they have a nasty bite and they are known for being a bit vicious and i have heard of other keepers needing hospital treatment after a bit from an adult.

He is a very intelligent beast and quickly learnt his usual feeding times and responds to a certain whistle i do which means food, he is an absolute joy i must admit to own and keep but also he is a lot of work and requires a lot of space.
I myself started with a V.panoptes, partly due to the fact the store he was in were not keeping him correctly so i just decided i would, for my first large reptile, got a few snakes and beardies, and i was told they are not a starter monitor. I have to say i agree that they are not a starter monitor but that does not necessarily mean that you could not start with one, but it will be a very steep learning curve and you will have to have a large space to house him in, you have to take into account heating, ventilation, food costs etc.

You sound like someone who is prepared to do the research and hopefully the work as well I love my Bruce and have a fairly good relationship with him but i repeat it has taken a lot of work, patience and time to get to this stage and i am still working with him, he recently had his first leash and harness experience, but if you are prepared i can honestly say that owning him has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, just expect to get deep scratches that will draw blood and be prepared for a bite always just in case.

If you need any other advice regarding these feel free to message me im no expert but happy to share my experiences with you :D Hopefully you find the right Monitor for you :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
first of all got to agree with bearwolf above, so albigs, I've got an Ionidesi which is the one dave durham had.
Mines 5.5 foot and counting at the mo but still only 2 years old. Yes there's a size discrepancy between white and black throat but realistically both need a room!
First thing that's good - both don't particularly like water! They need it to drink and poo in but that's it, Niles, Waters, Ornates etc (not sure about panoptes) all need oodles of water and having a six foot Ornate I can tell you it's a lot of work keeping it clean.
Second - Like Panoptes they're VERY intelligent, but less like an exocet missile when feeding and generally more agreeable.

you have I find got to be more on point with shed etc than the others just because of the water thing, you still need to provide water to submerge their body but I tend to spray mine more than the Ornate which half the time lives in her water.

Albigs tend to have more mass than other large monitors and are heavier set. The effect I've found is twofold.
1. They are INSANELY powerful when needed, and large monies are powerful enough already!
2. They tend to get a bit couch potato if you don't give them something to do during the day.
3. Like Panoptes they like to dig....a lot, I've seen nothing on the smaller Albig species to suggest different.
4. I don't know what availability is like in Poland but Ionidesi is hard enough to get hold of never mind Abigularis Albigularis so although there are people on here that have had them, they are hard to acquire.

Good luck with whatever you decide and continue asking lots of questions! I know I still do because new information comes through all the time.:2thumb:

·
Registered
207 Posts
first of all got to agree with bearwolf above, so albigs, I've got an Ionidesi which is the one dave durham had.
Mines 5.5 foot and counting at the mo but still only 2 years old. Yes there's a size discrepancy between white and black throat but realistically both need a room!
First thing that's good - both don't particularly like water! They need it to drink and poo in but that's it, Niles, Waters, Ornates etc (not sure about panoptes) all need oodles of water and having a six foot Ornate I can tell you it's a lot of work keeping it clean.
Second - Like Panoptes they're VERY intelligent, but less like an exocet missile when feeding and generally more agreeable.
Unfortunately i messed up when building his enclosure and his pond was not well insulated enough so it is currently an ornate climbing frame and toilet for him, it is reccomended that V. Panoptes has enough water to be able to bathe in my guy gets regular showers and genuinely seems to love it, but yes they do need good access to water, and i will be sorting him a pond as soon as I can figure out how to put it in his enclosure without dismantling it. As for shedding i have never had a problem he seems to be permanently in shed mind but always sorts it out himself :2thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant help you much with the other species but i do own a V. Panoptes Bruce.

He is around 3 and a half foot long and eats about £100 worth of Rats and other food a month. Loves digging, has 2 foot of soil to dig in, climbing and being a general pain in my ass whenever im trying to do anything in his viv, which is 12ftx8ftx6ft.

To address your actual question about temperament he is a very aggressive guy and has a very powerful feed response which can be intimidating, he has very powerful legs with long razor sharp claws and a ferocious bite. He can be grumpy and does not particularly like being handled. When I first saw him in the shop he was very aggressive towards anyone and tried lunging at people and biting all the time, however i believe part of this was due to incorrect housing, since he has been with me he has calmed down hugely with me but it has taken an awful lot of work, i have spent hours and hours in his viv just sat with him talking to him, basically getting him used to me, and now he is mostly calm with me, however he really does not like anyone else and will often hiss and start whipping his tail, which is also very powerful, if they come to close he will even lunge at them. Having said that he is not very aggressive towards me and has never lunged/ tried to bite me, I can get away with stroking him, no one else aha. He is a very intelligent beast and quickly learnt his usual feeding times and responds to a certain whistle i do which means food, he is an absolute joy i must admit to own and keep but also he is a lot of work and requires a lot of space.
I myself started with a V.panoptes, partly due to the fact the store he was in were not keeping him correctly so i just decided i would, for my first large reptile, got a few snakes and beardies, and i was told they are not a starter monitor. I have to say i agree that they are not a starter monitor but that does not necessarily mean that you could not start with one, but it will be a very steep learning curve and you will have to have a large space to house him in, you have to take into account heating, ventilation, food costs etc.

You sound like someone who is prepared to do the research and hopefully the work as well I love my Bruce and have a fairly good relationship with him but i repeat it has taken a lot of work, patience and time to get to this stage and i am still working with him, he recently had his first leash and harness experience, but if you are prepared i can honestly say that owning him has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, just expect to get deep scratches that will draw blood and be prepared for a bite always just in case.

If you need any other advice regarding these feel free to message me im no expert but happy to share my experiences with you :D
Thank you for your quick response :2thumb:
It sounds like owning an argus monitor is quite challenging task ;)
In my country Varanus Panoptes is very rare species of monitor, so probably I wont have the same opportunity to buy it, as you had :razz:
In addition I know that temperament is quite individual feature, but I think its possible to describe it in general, for example V. niloticus - :devil:
Nevertheless as I am ready to own a monitor, I am ready for some bites, scrathes and tail whips :bash:
V. Panoptes are really beautiful animals but I think that I'm in love with whitethroats... But nothing is sure for now, I'm waiting for some more replies and advices. Thank you one more time for your reasonable reply

·
Registered
207 Posts
You are more than welcome and yes you are right in general from what i was told when i was researching them they have a bad rep for temperament.

You sound like you are putting a lot of effort in and seem to be making sound decisions. Not sure how rare they are here to be honest i had never seen one before i saw my guy :2thumb:

If Whitethroats are what you love though i would advise you strongly to out in the time and get one nothing beats having a large monitor and you will love it all the more if it is one you have always wanted.

Good luck with finding one i hope you do and make sure to take lots of pics to show itt off when you do :whistling2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

you have I find got to be more on point with shed etc than the others just because of the water thing, you still need to provide water to submerge their body but I tend to spray mine more than the Ornate which half the time lives in her water.

Albigs tend to have more mass than other large monitors and are heavier set. The effect I've found is twofold.
1. They are INSANELY powerful when needed, and large monies are powerful enough already!
2. They tend to get a bit couch potato if you don't give them something to do during the day.
3. Like Panoptes they like to dig....a lot, I've seen nothing on the smaller Albig species to suggest different.
4. I don't know what availability is like in Poland but Ionidesi is hard enough to get hold of never mind Abigularis Albigularis so although there are people on here that have had them, they are hard to acquire.

Good luck with whatever you decide and continue asking lots of questions! I know I still do because new information comes through all the time.:2thumb:
Thank you for your advices mate ! ;)
So from all V. albigularis subspecies in "pet trade" we've got only V. Albigularis Iondiesi (which is commonly known as blackthroats) and V. Albigularis Albigularis (whitethroat). V. Albigularis Angolensis is not available, am I right?:no1:
According to the size, I am concsious how much space does they need and I am prepared for it. It goes fact that I am looking for something as I said bigger than V.Exanthematicus (which in fact is still possible for me to choose) and not as much big as V. Salvator. The point is that if whitethroats would be suitable, but not too big. Do you know how big is difference in size between those two albigs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts