Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm new here but i've been thinking about getting a lizard for a while now but soon I hope to make it a reality but I was wondering if some people could give me some advice. I'm currently deciding between a gecko and a bearded dragon and would love it if someone would tell me which one would be ideal for me too. Anyhoo the questions:

1: How big does their cages/tanks or whatever they are called have to be? I'd appreciate a few pictures if possible.. so I can make sure I have enough room for one.

2: How much roughly does it cost a week to keep happy healthy lizards? I understand they can eat quite a lot and don't they need some form of heater in their cage like a UV light?

3: I've checked some youtube clips and a lot of people let them out to roam around a room sometimes, is this advisable? How are they around younger children (7-10 year olds?) Are they pickup friendly?

4: Any useful links for finding out good information?

5: Would a Gecko or a bearded dragon be better for me? I'm also open for different suggestions too!

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
23,539 Posts
Hey guys, i'm new here but i've been thinking about getting a lizard for a while now but soon I hope to make it a reality but I was wondering if some people could give me some advice. I'm currently deciding between a gecko and a bearded dragon and would love it if someone would tell me which one would be ideal for me too. Anyhoo the questions:

1: How big does their cages/tanks or whatever they are called have to be? I'd appreciate a few pictures if possible.. so I can make sure I have enough room for one.

2: How much roughly does it cost a week to keep happy healthy lizards? I understand they can eat quite a lot and don't they need some form of heater in their cage like a UV light?

3: I've checked some youtube clips and a lot of people let them out to roam around a room sometimes, is this advisable? How are they around younger children (7-10 year olds?) Are they pickup friendly?

5: Would a Gecko or a bearded dragon be better for me? I'm also open for different suggestions too!

Thanks for your time.

1: A leopard gecko can be fine in a 2x2ft vivarium. they don't require height as they don't climb. They would need a heat mat and thermostat (to regulate the temperature) they don't necessarily need a light is more of a thing for you to be able to see them. They would need a water bowl, two hides (one in the cold and one in the hot end), they would also need a moist hide (in the cold end)

A bearded dragon would need to be in a vivarium say 4ft x 2ft x 2ft. They get quite a bit bigger than leopard geckos. But people seem to prefer the personalities of bearded dragons. They would also need a UV bulb. Which should go the length of most of the vivarium inside. And they would need a heat lamp(because they bask) and thermostat, and a water bowl. But wouldn't necessarily need hides.

2: Bearded dragons eat alot more than leopard geckos. But they also eat vegetables (there is a list somewhere on here that says which they can eat.) Beardies need UV, leopard geckos don't. This is because Beardies are day reptiles. where as leopard geckos are nocturnal.

3: It isnt for Leopard geckos. But Bearded Dragons yes. As long as you're keeping a close eye on them. Both animals can be tame in the sense that you can pick them up etc.

4: your best bet (i know people hate getting this reply but) is google.. Google for "bearded dragon caresheet" there are tons of them out there! Or check the "caresheet" section on this forum.

5: it's all personal choice. i have both lol The beardie seems to be the best to watch. But the leopard geckos have a complete different appeal to them.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
depends what you want, id say beardie because they are friendly, but grow fairly big and will need a 4x2x2 viv when fully grown. mine only costs a few quid a week on crickets and veg, but they will need new uv bulbs every 6mnths. you will need a viv, kitchen roll for substrate, basking light, 10.0 uv bulb to run the length of the viv (beardie will need to be able to get within 12inches of the uv), and maybe some climbing stuff, rocks to wear down the nails.. the basking bulb wattage will depend on how big your viv is, you'll have the experiment and get the temps right before you get the beardie. leos are prettier and need less space (i think a 2ft viv when full grown), and only need a heatmat for heat (no basking light or uv bulb). sorry for loooong post lol

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
oh and you'll need a mat stat whatever you get to control the temperature of you mat/dimming stat for a bulb

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Hello Peter :D a good choice between leos and beardies since they are the perfect starter lizards as most people would tell you. I have leos and they require less room than beardies so ill go through your questions answering for leos

I keep my leos in a faunarium each, although with experience you can keep up to two leos in the biggest faunarium. You can also keep them in wooden vivs ranging from all sizes. Usually is around 2ftx2x1. Here is a pic of my faunarium lol that has circluated this site because I keep posting it. It has a pic of Magnum in so you can see the size in relation to him.

I keep them on kitchen roll as you can see, and you can either have kitchen roll, repti-carpet, lino tiles but (not starting an argument here) I would avoid all sands to completely reduce the risk of impaction. If you don't know what impaction is just ask :D

Leos don't need UV light and a simple heat mat with a stat can keep your leo happy. For feeding costs, a box of hoppers/crickets for me costs £2 and can range from £1.50 - £4.00 a box. For one adult leo one box will last up to two and a half weeks depending on how often they eat. Not very expensive at all and for one heat mat and stat it's barely nothing on your electric bill.

leos are friendly, but you've probably seen bearded dragons roaming free. Because they are bigger they can roam around more, however saying that, a leo is just as friendly and although smaller can be let out, with supervision on the bed or on a chair or somehting. I wouldn't recommend on the floor. I handle my leos regularly, and you don't have to wait for the night time to handle them although they are nocternal as most would still be active during the day. Obviously don't try to wake them up just to handle as that's just mean lol. Leos are great with children but always have adult supervision. They can drop their tails if handled incorrectly, but once you know how and teach the kids how, there's no problems:D

my caresheets on www.king-gecko.co.uk there's also videos for shedding, so you can see what happens then.

This depends on what you want from your lizard. Adult geckos can get to around 9inches, whereas an adult bearded dragon gets a lot longer! both are handable and hardy, although beardies have a greater resiliance to child-handling I imagine because they don't drop their tails and are bigger so the kids have somthing proper to hold. For personality-wise it's a big debate. Both show amazing personalities and lots of love. Leos come in all colours and shades so there's a wider range to what you want whereas beardies have the majority of the same colourings. It also depends on how much space you have. A beardie would need at least a 4ftx2x2 viv. Leos take up less space and less maintainence since beardies need UV light and a basking spot.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for answering the questions, another one.. is there any lists anywhere for the best places to buy them from? I live in Lincoln (about an hour away from Nottingham) and it seems quite complicated so I would like to buy from a reputable place where they can fill in any gaps in my knowledge.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
alot of rep stores will tell you anything to sell you more stuff, i had so much bad advice i had to change my whole set up when i got puff (beardie) i'd say your best bet would be look on the classifieds here and get one from a private breeder:2thumb:

any decent breeder will anser any questions you have too

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey,

I can only tell you about leopard gecko's cos that's what i keep.

An adult leopard gecko will grow to around 10 inches from nose to tail tip, and will need a viv of at least 2ftx1.5ftx1.5ft, leopard gecko's are docile so the wont run away too fast and they're very easy to tame and handle.

As far as food is concern, a baby or young adult will eat everyday and will eat around 8 crickets or mealworms a day - tubs of live food from a local pet shop are normall about £1.85 a tub (that's what i pay) or they do deals such as 3 tubs for £4.50. a tub of food will last about 2 weeks if feeding daily.

When leopard gecko's become adults they need feeding every other day and will eat more crickets / mealworms about 12 or so.

You can buy crickets etc online but i've found that it's not cost effective for my at the moment, maybe when i get more gecko's.

You'll also need a calcium supplement to dust your live food with every other feed.

some pet shops will do starter kits, my leo is currently in this starter kit,

Leopard Gecko Starter Kits | Paws for Thought | Leeds

but i am building him a new home as he's growning fast.

Here is a good caresheet done my the pet shop i use Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

A leopard gecko will need a heat mat, these ware very cheap to run, however a mat stat will be required to make sure the tempurates are right so that if it's warm outside the viv it'll chnage the temp in the viv to a lower heat sos not to cook the gecko. The stats however can be a bit procey to buy, roughly about £25.

I haven't let my leo roam about but this is because he's still young and very nosey so would probably find an awkward place to hide so i couldn't get him :lol2:. but i don't see this being a problem.

You little one will be fine with either, a beardie might be better as they're bigger and probably easier for little hands, where as a gecko is smaller and don't forget if the tail is grabbed the gecko will let it drop off.

Beardies do look like an amazing pet but from what i've read they need more space and they do grown big, but i have no doubt that you'll get plenty of advice for them.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I agree with the classifieds on here because there's a lot of people who know what they're on about and can sell you things at a decent price with all the advice you can handle lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts