Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is an Exo terra 60cm-L x 60cm-H x 45cm-W suitable for a GTP?

2. I've read on care sheets saying not to handle for the first year, is this true, and why is this...

3. How much is the average going price, When i first started, I saw one for 150. Is this comman price?

4. Are they a hardy snake. I.e. Cope with alot of things.

5. Are The Agrresive? Skittyish etc?

6. Any breeders in UK?

Sorry about the hole '20 questions' malarkee. Thanks for your time.

G

·
well....ive heard they can be fussy feeders and can regurge food...might be why you cant handle them...also been told they can be snappy....

they are sweet things though...wouldnt mind a pair at some point

laura xxx

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From other forum answers. I got some results;

1. For a juvenile I'd say yes, though for an adult you'd need something with a bit more height

2. Handling is not advised in general because green tree pythons have fragile spines

3. £475

4. What do you mean by "a lot of things" - they have very specific husbandry requirements.

5. At night, yes, and if you annoy them, yes. But it varies, as with all snakes.

6. Yes, but its not currently hatching season so as far as i know none are available at this time.. try again next august

The Guy seemed to speak down to me. Annoyed me. Yet ohwell. So They have a Fragile spine... So pretty and all. yet so expensive :( Anybody want to go 3/4's on me :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
Meltos said:
1. Is an Exo terra 60cm-L x 60cm-H x 45cm-W suitable for a GTP?

For juvies to sub adults yes. For breeding larger adults no.

2. I've read on care sheets saying not to handle for the first year, is this true, and why is this...

Fragle spines is the right answer but in the hands of someone very gentle they can be handled regularly. Do NOT pop a juvie to sex it. You will kink it's spine. Most chondro guys will wait until they are a year before even probing them.

3. How much is the average going price, When i first started, I saw one for 150. Is this comman price?

In the US imports can be had for $150, while CBB bloodlines can fetch up to $3000 US. Wait until you see the price tag for the albino and hets.

4. Are they a hardy snake. I.e. Cope with alot of things.

Yes, once you have their habitat requirements met. They are easy to maintain and are a joy to own. They are a specie that is enjoyable to look at but can be snappy at times to hold.

5. Are The Agrresive? Skittyish etc?

Juvies yes, for the rest it is pot luck with the vast majority being very tame.

6. Any breeders in UK?

I will refer this one to the UK folks, I simply dont know the answer.

Sorry about the hole '20 questions' malarkee. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
i have several gtp's. for youngsters up to a year your best off with plastic containers which will hold high humidity.adults i keep in rainbow rock 2 foot cubes,not ideal but they do a decent job, healthy babies usually go for around £350 while adults fetch £400-£15000 depending on their genetics.
generally once oast a year old they are quite hardy and easy to keep, Laura its northenr shield etb's that are the regurge kings,gtp's are generally not prone to regurgitation.
anyway have look round the net theres loads of good gtp sites with haeps of practical knowledge and photos of setups etc you wont go far wrong with greg maxwells site and his book on gtp's and its extended new edition are must haves
regards gaz

·
Registered
279 Posts
for anyone looking at owning a GTP i would suggest you start with reading "the more complete chondro" by greg maxwell. well worth the read and a good book in general for all owners of GTP and snakes in general.

hope that helps

G

·
The complete chondro in my eyes is a must have book for gtp keepers.The GTP has very specific husbandry requirements and they will not tolerate the temps and humidity being wrong.I have been told by keepers that if everything is not right they can and will go downhill in a matter of days rather than weeks or months.

I would advise you to try the chondro forums and greg maxwells website before you even consider a chondro and read as much information as possible before you commit to one.Yes they are a stunning snake but would you feel comfortable with a snake that spends all its life in trees and can be very aggresive especially at night(natural feeding time)This species also have one of the largest set of teeth within the snake world and yes they do hurt.

You do not handle neonates to a year old because they have extremely fragile spines and on a side note you should never buy a sexed hatchling because any good breeders will not even attempt sexing at such an early age as the chances of getting spine kinks is very high.This is one of the reasons you see relatively cheap yearlings for sale because they happen to be the wrong sex in most cases.

Expect to pay £350-£400 for a neonate and you should be looking for babies that have had at leat 10 feeds as they can be notorious hard to get feeding.

The way i see it with chondros is you are spending a lot of money for 1 snake so why scrimp on the housing as all you will do is endanger the snake and chances are it will die if you are not sure about everything first.

Please dont let this put you of owning a GTP as stated they are a gorgeous snake to own(I havnt owned them yet).Just be aware that the more homework you can do for them the better for you and the snake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts