Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few quick questions:

1. Is it okay to take my snake out of a hide whan I want to get him out, or should I not disturb him when hiding??

2. Is it okay to handle him more than once a day or will this stress him out??

3. Is it okay to handle snakes before feeding them?? I know about clean hands and smelling of mice etc. but apart from that any reason why not to??

I've had my snake for a week and fed him once already. He seems to have settled in okay and I have given him loads of hiding space and branches / ledges to sit on. He uses all the viv so I assume he isn't stressed or anything.

Messing with camera again and couldn't resist:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
1.i get mine out from ther hides.

2. when he is older and more settled this shouldnt be a problem

3. this is variable 1 of my corns will eat no matter wot i do with her throught the day were as the male wont eat if i so much as touch his water bowl. :D
hope this helps and keep posting pics :wink:

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
nice setup there
regards gaz

·
Registered
475 Posts
You need to leave a snake for at least two days after feeding so it has chance to digest it's food.

Also handle twice a week max, not every day, as some can find it stressful. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
You need to leave a snake for at least two days after feeding so it has chance to digest it's food.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Kerry1 said:

i would say handle it more often and if u notice any ill affects then handle less often :D

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the advice and compliment.

I'll try handling him and feeding straight afterwards. If he feeds which I think he will then good. If not then maybe tomorrow.

I've tried to give him as many options in his viv as poss to keep him happy.
Loads of different heights to sit at with cover of leaves and also the two standard ground level hides.
He spends more time out now I've put the slate ledges in and the ivy (false). Which is what I prefer for viewing purposes. I suppose if he is willing to sit out of his hides then he must be settling in quite well.

I'm gonna start trying out a few funky things as far as photos go once hes properly settled in. Watch this space!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
carl24bpool said:
Cheers for the advice and compliment.

I'll try handling him and feeding straight afterwards. If he feeds which I think he will then good. If not then maybe tomorrow.

I've tried to give him as many options in his viv as poss to keep him happy.
Loads of different heights to sit at with cover of leaves and also the two standard ground level hides.
He spends more time out now I've put the slate ledges in and the ivy (false). Which is what I prefer for viewing purposes. I suppose if he is willing to sit out of his hides then he must be settling in quite well.

I'm gonna start trying out a few funky things as far as photos go once hes properly settled in. Watch this space!!!

by straight after wards i mean an 2 hours minimum :D , also wot kerry1 said about leaving him for 2 days is a must to prevent regurgitation :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Only you'll be able to tell if handling every day is too much - if he goes off his food at all then maybe reduce the handling, or maybe don't handle for 24hrs before a feed.
I prefer to keep handling to a minimum - I have each of mine out about once a week max.

If I handle my royal in the 2 days before a feed or change her water on the day of feeding, I can almost guarantee it'll be refused.

Just depends on the individual snake - but remember that no snake actually needs to be handled for the good of it's health (except to give them a close check over now and then) as long as it's viv is large enough for it to move freely and climb, etc.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Nice set up.
I see no harm gettin them out of thier hides but i guess when they are out and about would be better as they would likely be in a more actibe mood.

I think handling fairly often whilst your trying to tame them down is kind of important.........having said that when they arer tamed down they would mind the handling even less so i guess er...start as you mean to go on?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the extra comments.

I just had him out for 10 minutes and then put him straight into his tub for feeding. Took his fuzzy within seconds as usual but then took a while to start eating and when he did he ate it backwards (see my other post I'm about to write). His feeding response is pretty rampant so I don't think the handling is gonna put him off his grub.

put him back into his viv after a 30 min and he had a bask for 20 min then back onto his ledge in the photo.

He's tamed down considerably over the time I have had him, so will keep handling every other day for 10-15 min a time. He seems quite chilled on my hand and doesn't seem in a rush to go anywhere.

I am also aware of not handling for 48hrs after feeding and will adhere to this at ll times, but thanks for reminder.

If I start to see any stress or changes in patterns then I'll cut down on the handling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts