Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to turn the light off at night ? ( keeping heat mat on , )

the light keeps me awake at night

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
leo

the light should be turned off at night as leos are nocturnal and hunt in the dark.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the light should be on for no longer than 8 hours a day with it being off at night,

when i had mine i let her settle in for over a week and then a handled her for short periods during the day until she was happy and comfotable with me handling her

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
as above, put lights on a timer so that they are off at night, leos are nocturnal and need a day/night cycle.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
8 hours isnt manditori though surely?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
leos dont always need a light.none of mine have a light.they get their day/night cycle from natural day light.some people have them and if you do insist on having one then get a timer to come on and off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the light i use also regulates the temp, so if u dont use a light then what do u use for the temp? im interested as i was thinking of doing this with mine butt im not sure what a good heat source would be

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
you can use a ceramic bulb or a heat mat, either should be on a thermostat. As for light I have it on for 12 hours then off using a timer.

·
Banned
4,175 Posts
A light bulb is really not the best source of heating for a gecko.

As mentioned above, they are nocternal, so need a day night cycle. the bulb keeps you awake, it has the same kinda effect on the gecko.

If you keep the bulb, stick it on a timer, the day time should be from around 6 hours to 12 hours depending on season. If you do this, you need to get a heat mat to provide heat in hours of darkness.

Dont worry if the mat dont get the viv up to full temp, its always cooler at night !!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
why not use a red bulb, geckos cant see red i believe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts