Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here :2thumb: Just rehomed a male royal python he is 3ft long and has been fed on rat weaners weekly. He is currently settling in his new home so I have not had a chance to get him out but heres a few pictures when I brought him home.

I noticed there appears to be skin folds where the body bends - I understand this can be a sign of dehydration, or being overweight?

From the pictures (not great, apologies), does it look like he could be slightly overweight or is this a normal looking royal?

Also, I was told rat weaners are better for royals than mice as they have a higher fat content is this true?

Thanks for your opinions
:2thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well is he a sausage? Any thoughts from looking at them pictures or is that how a normal healthy royal looks?:lol2:

·
Premium Member
4 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

He looks just right to me - although I'm not one of the experts!!! He's gorgeous enjoy him :D

·
Premium Member
4 snakes, a fair few spiders, 2 elderly horses, a crazy collie and a cat.
2,012 Posts
Feeding - yes keep him on rats. As he's settling in keep to the feeding pattern and food size he's had.
When he's settled in you could try him on a larger size rat fortnightly if you wanted

·
Registered
9,318 Posts
Welcome,

Good looking royal you have there. Put him on the scales and post up his weight. They are a heavy bodied snake so will have folds when they coil, and yours looks perfectly fine to me. If you are concerned if he's a dehydrated then just place him in the bath in lukewarm water (30-35c) and let him have a soak. He may even drink whilst in there (naturally stay with the snake to keep an eye on him).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts