Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we are currently setting up our RUB for a royal. We are just contemplating the best way to put the sensor/probe for the thermostat and thermometer in.
Shall we drill a hole in the side of the RUB, poke the cable through and sellotape the sensor onto the bottom of the RUB above the heatmat?
I have heard people just placing the sensor on top of the heatmat outside the RUB, but surely this wont give an accurate reading of the temp in the snakes basking area.
Cheers for your help! :2thumb:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Hi all, we are currently setting up our RUB for a royal. We are just contemplating the best way to put the sensor/probe for the thermostat and thermometer in.
Shall we drill a hole in the side of the RUB, poke the cable through and sellotape the sensor onto the bottom of the RUB above the heatmat?
I have heard people just placing the sensor on top of the heatmat outside the RUB, but surely this wont give an accurate reading of the temp in the snakes basking area.
Cheers for your help! :2thumb:
I put the stat sensor on the outside on the mat and have a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe on the inside of the RUB.
Hope ive helped! :2thumb:

·
Registered
736 Posts
drill hole in the side

put probe in so its half way up tub above mat and at one end,then snake can move to cool end if it wants thats it.duck tape works better:welcome:

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, cheers for the help, I think I am fretting a bit too much about this, lol. just want it all to be perfect though.

I have drilled a hole in the side of the RUB at substrate level. Going to poke the sensor through this so it is at the same level as the substrate.

Another thing.... is the temp in the hot hide going to be higher than the temp just outside the hide, therefore do I need to ensure the max basking temp of 90F occurs inside or outside the hide?
Cos if it hits 90F outside the hide, I don't want it rocketing up into the high 90's inside the hide!

There is so much mixed info on the web that it's hard to find the right answer!

I appreciate your time in helping me! cheers!!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Ok, cheers for the help, I think I am fretting a bit too much about this, lol. just want it all to be perfect though.

I have drilled a hole in the side of the RUB at substrate level. Going to poke the sensor through this so it is at the same level as the substrate.

Another thing.... is the temp in the hot hide going to be higher than the temp just outside the hide, therefore do I need to ensure the max basking temp of 90F occurs inside or outside the hide?
Cos if it hits 90F outside the hide, I don't want it rocketing up into the high 90's inside the hide!

There is so much mixed info on the web that it's hard to find the right answer!

I appreciate your time in helping me! cheers!!

I would do it outside the hide :)
I'd out a hide in both the hot and cold end, and if poss one in-between aswel, sorry of you have already done this, I don't want to seem patronising :)

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
shouldnt have any tape inside the rub

the stat probe should be inside the rub along with the thermometer probe

keep them entwined and just to side of warm end hide

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
put probe in so its half way up tub above mat and at one end,then snake can move to cool end if it wants thats it.duck tape works better:welcome:
You don't want probe away from heat source as heat mats aren't good at heating air . If you want to put probe inside tub you want it in direct contact with the floor of tub at point of contact with heat mat .

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would do it outside the hide :)
I'd out a hide in both the hot and cold end, and if poss one in-between aswel, sorry of you have already done this, I don't want to seem patronising :)
Don't worry about it! I'll take all the info you guys can throw at me at the mo! lol. Have got the RUB set up with one hide on each side, with a hide with moss in on the cool side as an extra and a silk plant covering the top of the hides. I'll get some pics up soon.

Brilliant advice! cheers guys. I did originally tape the probe to the side of rub above substrate. Have now removed it and put it on the base of the box above the heatmat.

I have been moving the thermometer probe around the rub testing out the temps. It is hitting 33.9c inside the hide so will have to get this down a bit.

Once it is all ok I will entwine it with the stat probe and leave it underneath the substrate!

Thanks again :2thumb:

·
Registered
992 Posts
I put my probe inside the warm end hide touching the floor as thats where they will spend most of there time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts